Best semi-hollow $1,000 - $1,500

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sshan25, Mar 2, 2012.

1. sshan25

sshan25 Supporting Member

I need (well, really don't need but want) a decent semi-hollow body for between 1 to 1.5 grand. I'm not sure if there's really any good Gibsons in that range but I could be wrong. The only other one I can come up with is a Heritage 535. Any suggestions?

2. Phalanx200bc

Phalanx200bc Member

Hertiage H535 is not a bad start at all. You could probably pull a used Gibson ES-135/137 for that range too.

Check Ibanez Artcore models if you are looking to save even more.

Good luck

3. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

4. baimun

baimun Member

Used PRS Hollowbody Spruce with Dots (Moons).... will probably be listed for 2K, but if you haggle, you might be able to score a champ.

5. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

I'd look for a used Hamer Artist, Monaco or Newport.

6. acoustic567

acoustic567 Silver Supporting Member

Depends if you're looking for a semi-hollow that totally replicates the 335 in body dimensions and woods (all-maple-body). I'm a fan of the Hamer Newport Pro, which came standard with a spruce and mahogany body and is smaller than a 335. I actually own an all-maple Newport Pro BE, but they are hard to find. Used standard Newport Pros come up pretty often.

You might also consider a Gibson ES-339, which is essentially a downsized 335. I like the smaller body, I also found 335s to be a bit heavy. You probably won't find a 339 for $1500, but used ones are definitely to be found for under $2000.

Lou at guitarsnjazz dot com has the Eastman T185 and T186 in stock, which are great guitars for the money and are built on the 335 design. Most have a mahogany back but he has some in stock that are all-maple. They are all solid woods and ebony boards, though, which some will love but which produces a different vibe from the classic 335 sound. New they are at the top of your range but used (when you can find them) they are a great buy.

7. acoustic567

acoustic567 Silver Supporting Member

Newport Pro: spruce *top*, my bad

8. tbonesullivan

tbonesullivan Member

I would say go for a used Heritage H-535, if you are looking for that classic semi-hollow vibe.

The Hamer Newport is also good, but it's a different type of beast. It's got a carved out Mahogany back and Spruce top, which does make it sound a bunch different. MOre smooth, less "woody" than a standard laminated maple body semi-hollow with a center block.

9. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

Guild Starfire would be a good option as well.

10. sshan25

sshan25 Supporting Member

To clarify, it doesn't have to be the size of a 335. ES-135 size would work. I do like the sound of the ES-335, though.

11. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson It's Time For Action Silver Supporting Member

That would have been my answer too ... until I played an 80s AS200 (Ibanez, the one Scofield uses, before the actual "Scofield model"). The one I bought recently is the most alive semi-hollow (or solid) electric guitar I have played, and that is compared against Collings, Gibson, Heritage, etc. etc. Simply, if you can find one from that era you will likely not be in any way dissapointed.

12. Luke V

Luke V Member

A used 339 they are great guitars.

13. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

Yamaha SA2200. I've tried them all and the Yammy is the cream of the crop in that price range. I like the Heritage too, but the SA2200 beats it pretty handily in the tone and playability department IMHO. And, those split coil HBs are frigging fantastic!

Here's a link to an eBay auction for an SA2000. I have no connection to the seller and I think that the guitar is priced a little high considering the cost of shipping. I just bought a 2007 NOS SA2200 for $1500, so they are out there.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JAPAN-VINTA...N-/260965583399?pt=Guitar&hash=item3cc2c2ca27

14. cratz2

cratz2 Member

I'd absolutely go for a used Hamer or Heritage in that price range.

The Yamahas are nice but I definitely prefer the looks of the Hamer and Heritage models.

I sold an amp to a guy that had a first or second year Scofield and it was a REALLY nice guitar but those are certainly less common than Hamers and Heritages as a group.

15. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

I picked up a killer ES-333 for well under a grand, dropped some Lollar Imperials in it, added a Pickguard, and buffed the finish. It's the nicest 335 style guitar I've ever played, and that includes comparisons to Custom Shop and Signature Gibson's. The neck is what really sold me.

[​IMG]

16. ecm1117

ecm1117 Member

I'd suggest holding out for an early-'80s Ibanez semi.

Some models to consider: AS-200 or AS-100 (335-style, full-size), AS-50 (335-style, a bit smaller), AM-205 or AM-50 (339 size).

I have an '81 AS-50 and an '84 AM-205. They're both top-notch instruments. I got the AS-50 a couple of years ago, in excellent shape, for $850 - even though that was the correct market value at the time, it's still a steal for the quality you get.

17. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

Either a used Guild from the 90s if you like wider necks, or a used Guild from the 60s/70s if you're OK with smaller necks. 60s models will cost a bit more, but you should be able to find 70s or 90s models in the $1000-1500 range.

First one is a '90s, second is a '70s:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. doublescale1

doublescale1 FSR Tele Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    Take a look at the new Gibson Midtown Custom - listed @ Guitar Center for a buck under your top-listed acceptable price. US made, kind of like a flat-top (no arch carve) version of the Custom Shop 356 - solid maple top, one-piece chambered Mahogany body, mahogany neck - the fretboard is Richlite - the man-made composite material that is all black and slick like Ebony, Martin is using it too - Burstbucker 1&2 pickups and a hardshell case. Worth a look.

19. serial

serial Member

Hamer Newport absolutely. Incredibly versatile guitar.

20. geetarman

geetarman Member

+1 Hamer Newport love mine.