Best Shimmer?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by randy morser, Feb 1, 2015.

1. randy morser

randy morser Member

With all the new shimmer-capable reverb pedals on the market, I was wondering if some of you who used shimmer reverb pedals on a regular basis might be able to point me in the right direction. I have never used this kind of thing before, but I'd like to get started. Which ones are the best? Board real estate is also a factor for me.

Thanks,
    Randy

2. dllb

dllb Member

Are you looking for P&W shimmer or some other shimmer sounds?

3. evaporatus

evaporatus Silver Supporting Member

I have the Neunaber Seraphim on my acoustic board & the Mak Octronix on my gigging board. The Seraphim shimmer sounds sweet (don't know how else to describe) & I use it mainly for background ambience. The Mak shimmer is more out front & intense (at least that's how I use it on one of our originals). Both are under $200, but I've never tried the Strymon, Walrus or any of the bigger box, more expensive shimmers.

4. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

for me it would be between the Blue Sky and the Seraphim, most of the others just sound unnatural to me (if that makes sense). Of those two, I like the Seraphim the best.

5. bobcunningham

bobcunningham Member

I've owned several; Eterna, Gold Modified Eterna, Behringer/Verbzilla, blueSky, Supernatural. Right now I'm rocking the Seraphim Stereo. It's flawless.

6. Igotsoul4u

Igotsoul4u Member

I just picked up a polara for $149. It's a quality reverb in a compact/sturdy package. Can't beat the lexicon sound. I only use the "shimmery" reverbs for swell. In general I don't like the digitized high pitched thing. Sounds like chipmunks voices. I do like the modulated reverb but the Halo or any sound like it from another pedal is not really my thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWhDoYgMcng

7. AnalogKid85

AnalogKid85 Member

The best shimmers you can get in pedal form are probably the Strymon BigSky and the Eventide SPACE, both of which have programmable dual shimmers where you can select exactly which intervals you want. The Pitchfactor also has a dual-shimmer on it with reverb. If real estate is a concern, you could probably just get rid of one or two pedals you already have and replace it with one of these--the BigSky or SPACE could probably replace any other reverbs you have, and the Pitchfactor could EASILY get rid of a delay pedal or two (it also excels as a straight delay!), and of course, any other pitch shifters you might have, save for the Whammy (which you will want to keep if you have one, so you can have it pre-dirt).

I used to have a Verbzilla for shimmer (Octo), and it was the one mode on that pedal that I never jived with (though I loved the rest of it, especially Cave). The octave shimmer on there never sounded completely in tune, and I've noticed the same thing going on with a lot of other "shimmer" pedals that have come out in the last few years. The Eventides and the Strymons (Blue Sky too, for octave) seem to avoid this. The Seraphim is probably the best straight octave shimmer I've heard, but I would still be on the edge about that, as it doesn't seem very customizable (it has a LOT of feedback on the octave shift--if there's a way to turn that down, I would like it more).

8. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

^well, if you get a stereo Neunaber pedal, you CAN customize the seraphim, there are 3 different voicings for it in their pedal customizer software (including voicings that are not so intense), and if its a V2 stereo or a mono shimmer, you can turn the shimmer mode off by holding down the switch.

9. DanSimon

DanSimon Member

the Seraphim is easily th best i've heard.. never heard of the Mak Octronix though.

10. jordane93

jordane93 Member

There is no best. It's all subjective and depends what you want. I really like the shimmer on the Supernatural because it is more of a subtle shimmer and I an control the high end of it with the liveliness knob.

11. forgivenman

forgivenman Supporting Member

I love my Behringer Reverb factory for shimmered

12. jquanmusic

jquanmusic Member

Walrus audio descent is basically a shimmer verb with an added octave down and full control over the octaves. Its great for ambient stuff.

13. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

I used to hate shimmer until I got a Space, of course I don't do the cheesy 80s high-pitch thing.

14. AnalogKid85

AnalogKid85 Member

That's a very good thing! The voicing I've heard in the demos was just so over the top. In my opinion, only companies with REALLY good pitch algorithms (like Eventide) can pull off the "infinite feedback shimmer" thing without giving it that "nails on a chalkboard" kind of sound (check out the demo of the Eclipse preset "Instamagic" on Soundcloud if you want to hear what I mean). In my book it's ok if the pitch shifter is not as high of a quality--it just needs more customization (feedback, EQ, etc.) to make it sound better.

15. ((TechnicolorSkyline))

((TechnicolorSkyline)) Supporting Member

The Space algorithms from my H9 are my favorite. Didn't care much for the Strymon or Neunaber stuff.

16. Stone Driver

Stone Driver Silver Supporting Member

+1 for the Eventide algos for rich and musical high quality shimmer effects, at least to my ears and preferences.

I have a Neunaber Slate v2 stereo on my backup mini board and used all the Seraphim presets, and while I like it for the small form factor, I much prefer the quality of tones and ease of tweakability that I can get out of my H9s shimmer presets. I think the Neunaber is at its best with the Wet presets, but as mentioned earlier tone is very subjective.

If size is an issue though I genuinely don't know if you can do better than Neunaber's work, but the H9 is the best I've owned before you start jumping to rack gear.

17. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    After listening to the Eterna, in all it's incarnations, the Verbzilla, the Neunaber Seraphim mono and stereo versions, I prefer the mono Neunaber as I want the "choir of angels" effect, but on the stereo version, I hear an off-key warble in the voices that I do not prefer.

Too bad there wasn't a way to adjust the choir more to sound like voices with slightly more breathy sounds when chanting chords, but so far the Seraphim is my fave.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  18. 72Telecaster

72Telecaster Silver Supporting Member

Neunaber's shimmer algo is the best I've played by a pretty wide margin. The least obtrusive and most musical.

19. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

I liked the Blue Sky shimmer the most.

I have tried the stereo wet, space, and mr black eterna, so I don't have a lot of experience.

The space is on my board but I don't use shimmer much. The Blue Sky sounded very sterile and bright to me, but if I used shimmer a lot, I felt it had the best of the few I have used.

20. slap_back05

slap_back05 Supporting Member

I like Strymon's the best as well. Line 6 does a decent job, and I have a Space on the way to try, but I doubt it will have the functionality to knock off the Strymon.