• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Best shop to buy a Matchless from online?

buzzmo

Silver Supporting Member
I'm looking to buy a Matchless (HC-30 most likely), but since there are no Matchless dealers near me (US: Arizona), I was going to order one online. I went through the dealer list on Matchless' site and the only ones I could find that seemed to have an HC-30 in stock were NashVegas Guitars and Rogue Guitars. I can't find much about the former, and the latter seems to have a pretty negative reputation here on TGP.

Does anyone have suggestions? Since it's a serious investment, I'd like to find a reputable dealer.

(And, yes, I've looked on Reverb, but the used prices for the few that are listed are so close to new — some even higher — that I figured I'd just get a new one.)

jnovac1

Silver Supporting Member
I'm looking to buy a Matchless (HC-30 most likely), but since there are no Matchless dealers near me (US: Arizona), I was going to order one online. I went through the dealer list on Matchless' site and the only ones I could find that seemed to have an HC-30 in stock were NashVegas Guitars and Rogue Guitars. I can't find much about the former, and the latter seems to have a pretty negative reputation here on TGP.

Does anyone have suggestions? Since it's a serious investment, I'd like to find a reputable dealer.

(And, yes, I've looked on Reverb, but the used prices for the few that are listed are so close to new — some even higher — that I figured I'd just get a new one.)
contact matchless. you are close enough to consider a road trip to avoid shipping.

Ryebosome

Silver Supporting Member
I was not aware that Rogue Guitars had a bad rep. Still, in this case how big of an issue could it be? You'd be ordering a brand-new Matchless and having it shipped to you, so if something went wrong and Rogue didn't want to deal with it you'd have both the Matchless warranty and the shipper's insurance to fall back on.

FWIW I'm also considering exactly this (an HC-30 purchased from Rogue in the next few months).

buzzmo

Silver Supporting Member
I was not aware that Rogue Guitars had a bad rep.
Yeah, I dunno. I did a quick search and found threads here saying they were bad at customer service, orders took months after radio silence, etc. Ergo, a little gunshy giving them $3k+ without checking first.

Ryebosome

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, I dunno. I did a quick search and found threads here saying they were bad at customer service, orders took months after radio silence, etc. Ergo, a little gunshy giving them $3k+ without checking first.
Ok, fair. The radio silence thing I cannot tolerate. I am not fussed about delays (particularly when they're communicated proactively), but if a builder/manufacturer/merchant can't take 5 minutes to respond to an email after receiving thousands of dollars upfront, then they do not value my business and I will take it elsewhere.

I've learned this one the hard way with a few builders who have my money and are ignoring repeated attempts to contact them. Now that I know it drives me crazy I make an effort to avoid it. Guess I'm watching this thread now as well to see who the good dealers are. :p

drjordan

I know they’re not exactly close to you, but Atlanta Discount Music is a great local guitar shop here in GA. They seem to have an HC-30 in stock. I’ve bought 2 Bad Cat amps and a Vintage Sound from them with great service. Give them a call: 866-322-6220.
And just so it’s been said…I have no affiliation with them. I’m just a happy, long-time customer.

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
I know they’re not exactly close to you, but Atlanta Discount Music is a great local guitar shop here in GA. They seem to have an HC-30 in stock. I’ve bought 2 Bad Cat amps and a Vintage Sound from them with great service. Give them a call: 866-322-6220.
And just so it’s been said…I have no affiliation with them. I’m just a happy, long-time customer.
This is when you plan a weekend trip for the family ... "sure, it doesn't look like a great museum, but they have a mummy."

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Rogue has a rep for selling stuff it doesn't have in stock, then the customer ends up waiting until the order can be fulfilled. I'd buy an HC-30 from them if they were willing to text me a "kidnapper" pic showing today's newspaper next the head!

goodtone

h

H. Mac

I agree. I’ve been dealing with Atlanta Discount Music for over 25 years. They know their stuff, and are good to work with.

El Rey

Double Platinum Member
All 4 of my Matchless amps came from them, and just ordered a Laurel Canyon from them a couple of weeks ago.

No complaints. Been a customer for several years.

Phil M

Shapeshifting Member
Silver Supporting Member
I got a HC-30 and ESD 2x12 rig from Vince at Lark Guitars in San Antonio. Good discount, easy peasy.

bigfoamfinger

Silver Supporting Member
@buzzmo Another Rogue story just popped up. I would avoid them

buddachile

I don't have any suggestions but wanted to just say you're in for a treat. I've had my C-30 since I got it back in '96/'97. I bought a DC-30 and eventually bought a head cab to make a HC-30 out of it.

When you get it I hope you find the HC-30 to be as amazing as I do. It's an amp I'll never sell. And my understanding is that Phil Jameson has improved the circuit layout and made the amp less susceptible to noise.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom