Best Signal Buffer Pedal, Klon Centaur, Pete Cornish LD-1 , FET, OpAmp etc.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by thebluesman666, Apr 30, 2016.

1. thebluesman666

thebluesman666 Supporting Member

Hello i would like to have your inputs or experience with buffer pedal ...

I look up on youtube and found some videos comparing the JHS Buffer to an Pete Cornis LD-1

I really enjoy what the LD-1 seems to do to the signal ...

Do you guys Know any Builder that would Clone the LD-1 for an affordable Price range ?

2. thebluesman666

Thanks man ! i actually saw that guy ... but he refuses to ship to Canada .... :(

3. halcyon

halcyon Supporting Member

Hmm... My favorite thus far has been the Fromel Shape EQ. You can switch between buffered and true bypass. The buffer sounds great to me!

flantrax likes this.
  4. heyrobscott

heyrobscott Member

I use an old DOD FX10. It's a clean boost with an always on buffer and 4M ohm impedance input. My pickups love hitting the high impedance first thing, and the buffer is strong and sounds great. The boost is terrific and has a tone knob for shaping.

The only the I might ever consider switching it out for would be one of the Radial boosts that have a Drag control for adjusting the impedance, but for a pedal that was less than $50, the FX10 is the dark horse of my board.

blackba likes this.
  5. delay dude

delay dude Member

The cornish buffer is very good! I´ve built a clone and like it a lot. Everyone who can solder can make you one - there is a layout online.

thebluesman666 likes this.
  6. teleclem

teleclem Member

I really like my LD-1. I'm not that familiar with clones of it but I've also heard good things about the Lehle.

7. Chandyland

Chandyland Member

If you can solder you can order an LD-1 kit for literally $9.50. It would be a very simple project.

8. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

Sold all my big grey Cornish pedals a few years ago to make room for an incoming order of Batt-Free versions. I had a couple month period of no Cornish pedals and absolutely hated my sound. I had other buffers - Valvulator, Access, Radial plus whatever was in numerous pedals... It just was not the same. Pete had just finished a run of LD-1's and I was able to get one within a week so I bought one. As soon as I put it on my interim board everything was right in the world again.

I've had just about every buffer including an original Klon. I really can't comment on the Klon buffer as it's not a pedal that did much for me so it didn't stick around for long. All the buffer's I've had do an excellent job of what they're intended to do - take the cable and pedal load off your guitar pickups. That being said, Pete's buffer's extend beyond that for me. I actually like my tone running through one of his pedals bypassed than straight into the amp. Crazy I know, but it just seems like more of the great characteristics of the guitar come through big time while the extraneous crap seems to minimize. I even run through my Cornish dominated pedalboard when using an Axe FX II because it sounds better to me even when I'm not using the effects. I don't think I'll ever have a pedalboard without some form of Cornish buffer somewhere on it.

9. thebluesman666

Hey Kenny Thanks for your input on the cornish Buffer and pedals. Your not the first one i hear saying that the guitar sound better going trough a cornish pedal or buffer than your guitar plugged straight into the amp.

I Guess the guy nailed it ... but god ... !!! the prices are ridiculous ... 400$ CND for the LD-1 :O That stuff better Sky Rock your tone at that price loll

KennyM and Chandyland like this.
  10. Chandyland

Chandyland Member

Not to mention it's absolutely colossal for no reason at all. I will never understand Pete's obsession with wiring on tagboard. A simple buffer doesn't need to be the size of a Boss pedal.

Eskimo_Joe and thebluesman666 like this.
  11. Colamander

Colamander Member

I use an Empress buffer+ and love it. Two buffers in one - one on the way in, one on the way out. A tiny knob to adjust the input (which I set by A/Bing with just guitar-cable-amp), and a foot switchable clean boost/tuner mute. All my pedals are in this nice little buffer sandwich, and with all the pedals off, it sounds identical to my guitar plugged straight in.

DakotaRed likes this.
  12. KennyM

KennyM Supporting Member

Yeah, pretty pricey for sure and do take up a lot of real estate. I've built buffers myself and they are pretty simple circuits especially with an IC. I've got a pretty big studio and find that certain pieces of gear somehow make things sound better even running through them bypassed. Every component has an effect that's accumulative and some designers just hit on that right combination of design, part values, manufacturer, humidity and what sandwich they were eating when they were soldering that just make things better than something even closely similar. You find this in the audio world all the time with the same short list of designers and I'm not surprised that it's the same for guitar audio. I think Pete makes it on that short list in the guitar world.

13. DakotaRed

DakotaRed Member

I just got an Empress Buffer+ and yep, it sounds like plugging straight in. Ended years of frustration for me. Wish I'd bought on sooner.

Colamander and Texas_Blues like this.
  14. Texas_Blues

Texas_Blues Member

I was gonna get that one but the two extra inputs of the loop confused me and I didn't feel like buying extra cables :-(

The hum reducer seemed badass though and the boost.

I ended up settling for the Cornish ld3.

15. flantrax

flantrax Supporting Member

Yep, that's a great one...

16. DakotaRed

DakotaRed Member

You 'settled' for the Cornish? :rotflmao

Texas_Blues likes this.
  17. mikoo69

mikoo69 Supporting Member

What's up with the hum reducer in the empress +? Anyone using that feature?

18. Clark GriswoId

Clark GriswoId Supporting Member

Regular Empress Buffer user here.

But also run a Secret Preamp and a KLONE in my chain.

19. alberob

alberob Member

I have been using a Red Iron Amp Pedal pusher. It is always on.It s powered by a mini tube .No wall wart 115v power supply.It can be run flat at unity or as a subtle boost with 2 other eq options.Pricey but it delivers everything that Paul Sanchez says it will. I doesn't suck.

ebenezer likes this.