Best Signature Guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Occam, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Occam

Occam Member

I've been thinking about getting the Fender Johnny Marr Jaguar and it seems like an amazing signature guitar when so many miss the mark. This one has all of the improvements and upgraded components (I was shocked to see Bare Knuckle pickups) that you'd expect from what an actual pro that's picky and really cares about there gear would select and not for an absurd price. So many Fender's just slap a signature sticker on there and maybe a paint job and you're lucky to get a slightly different neck profile but this one seems to have gone the extra mile.

It got me thinking. What do you think are the best signature models, both in terms of representing the namesake as well as being useful for the general public. The Les Paul might seem obvious but Les seem to rarely play the models most of of do so I don't think I'd actually count that because it's great for the general public, it just wasn't the same stuff he used.

Torren61 likes this.
  2. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

I'm a fan of quite a few signature guitars. The real-world, practical input from the artists, and their sheer knowledge about what really works, tends to make for very useable guitars. I don't view them like some people do, like something only fanboys buy because they want their favorite player's name on the guitar. I prefer if there are NO signatures or defining graphics. It's all about the specs.

My favorite current Strat is the Jeff Beck model. I've never had a Strat that suited me better without any modifications. It's just a great guitar.

lugnut111 and Lt Dak like this.
  3. Randell scott

Randell scott Member

Keith uh not Estaban uh not.

Mine is the Zakk Wylde guitars! With matching pickups.

[​IMG]

4. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Never played one but when it was released I was (and still am) interested in the Rich Robinson 335.

5. VicAjax

VicAjax Male Supermodel

The Strat that spoke to me (within my price range) is the John Mayer sig. Great specs, even though I couldn't name a single song.

6. Serenity

Serenity Member

The only sig guitar i really want is J Yuenger's Ibanez ICJ100WZ Iceman.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. halcyon

halcyon Supporting Member

Chris Cornell 335!

8. jo2012

jo2012 Member

Eric Clapton's Signature Strat is pretty great. Definitely my favorite Strat. It's super versatile and there are so many great tonal options available.

And I just love this color

[​IMG]

9. hop

hop Member

I like the Ron Asheton and Bob Balch sigs from Reverend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Horacelokhang

Horacelokhang Member

Jim root strat for me.
    If you play rock metal and want a strat, check that out

11. BK Verbs

BK Verbs Gold Supporting Member

That Marr Jag is a killer guitar. He personally put a lot of thought into it and essentially reworked the entire guitar. His mods are practical, smart, and are improvements everyone can appreciate. The thing comes stock with Bareknucles and a Staytrem designed bridge! It's the modern Jaguar everyone wanted. I've played a couple of them and they are fantastic instruments. It's definately one I'd like to own someday.

I give props to the Clapton Strat, strictly for the very useful onboard mid boost, the neck is not for me, but they sound glorious.

Mayer Strats are nice, the Big Dipper pickups may be my favorite Stratocaster pickups, otherwise it is a 1960s style Strat. I personally find them very comfortable to play.

I find the Cornell 335 with Lollartrons interesting as well, but I've never played one myself.

Having said that I wouldn't buy a signature model just because it is affiliated with any particular artist.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
    brettk7 likes this.
  12. Wansel

Wansel Member

I vote for mine! 1993 GUILD BRIAN MAY SIGNATURE! Only 1000 were made, and no guitar comes close to it in terms of being a near exact copy of Brian May's original. Actually, I believe there is an Austrailian guy building near perfect copies, but at a very premium price.

Lt Dak likes this.
  13. pepedede

pepedede Member

How about a "I wish there was a signature guitar"

I choose a Mike McCready 1959 stratocaster or 1959 les paul burst, both very worn.

saneff likes this.
  14. Clinic

Clinic Member

Coolest looking sig ever, I have major GAS for one. as for usability..well...

The Root Strat is the bomb, I love mine so much, maybe could do with a slightly flatter neck; but that's personal preference on my part. As far as I'm concerned it's the closest a guitar has ever gotten to the metal player's everyman for everything.

OR the Squire J Mascis Jazzmaster. So much value, absolute ripper of a guitar. Would gladly have payed double; took the JM and added two great improvements (bridge and PUs) while retaining the rest of the features that make the JM unique (shape, dual circuits, tremolo system, single coils).

Honourable mention to the EC Strat too.

lugnut111 likes this.
  15. shane88

shane88 Member

16. RICFREAK

RICFREAK Member

Paul Gilbert
    [​IMG]
    Nuno Bettencourt
    [​IMG]

These 2 are my favourites.:cool:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015