Best Small Amp for Clean

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JohnLutz, Feb 5, 2006.

1. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

What's the best small amp for punchy organic rich glassy clean (with humbuckers)?

2. Robertito

Robertito Member

My favorite is my Allen Accomplice, which I think has a nearly perfect tone, but I understand that the Carr Rambler might give it a real run for its money.

3. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

How small?
    One if the best I have tried is the Fender Super Champ.
    But, even it sounds much, much, better through a 2/12- classic Fender tone.
    I have never heard a 10 or smaller speaker, no matter how good, that sounds as good as a well-chosen 12. There might be one, but bigger is better IMO.

4. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

You might be looking for a Princeton Reverb II.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

clark lil bit LTD = 5 watts

[​IMG]

6. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Gries Amps makes a 20 watt, 6v6 model, with reverb. If you're looking for something smaller, keep an eye on his web site. He's working on two smaller models that should be available in a few months.

I own the model 35 and both HB's and SC's sound great through it, so I'm sure Dave will voice the new amps to work just fine with either as well.

Good Luck

7. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

Star GainStar 15 has one of the best clean channels I've heard.

8. JohnLutz

Well let me be more specific. I have a Gibson GoldTone class A 30 watt with 2x12s. It's too loud for the church where I play so I'm looking for something smaller.

This weekend, I tried a Zinky Blue Velvet 25. It's a really nice amp but I discovered that I don't really need channel switching. I would rather have a simple amp with great clean tone and then get drive and crunch from pedals. The Zinky's clean channel was pretty nice but I'm wondering if there's something better.

So I want something that has great clean and that won't mush out when you kick on a distortion pedal.

How about a Fender Blues Jr for this application?

John

9. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I've owned a Blues Jr. for several years now and have never been really satisfied with the tone. It will stay clean for quite a ways but I've never fallen in love with the clean sound (no real warmth to it, in my opinion). It does take pedals fairly well, but not the best at this either. Not to be a heretic, but have you considered a multieffect modeling pedal for the church gig (like the Boss GT8)? Not sure how much stage volume is involved in your church gig, and I don't like playing through modeling gear, but sometimes it fits the situation.

10. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Carr rambler. 14 watts for church, and 28 watts for louder needs.

11. JohnLutz

Hmmm. My friend has a Carr Rambler. I should give it a try.

I tried the modeling approach for many years (Boss GT-x, VG-88, and later Vox ToneLab) and it worked really well but I like the simplicity and tone of amps and pedals better.

12. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

Fender Princeton not the Reverb model. It's all about the clean.

13. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Don't know if it is small enough, but a Carvin Vintage 33 (it still is 33 watts, but no need to take it max). Carvin (MTS, Legacy, Vintage, Bel Air) have some of the best cleans around in my opinion.

Seriously. The amp has channel switching but the lead channel is dark. The clean channel on it is all you need though. Not very expensive either, though I think they are discontinued, you can find them used.

14. Unburst

Unburst Member

Fender Pro Jnr.

Fender Super Champ

SF Princeton Reverb

15. enge

enge Member

Hey my friend, maybe you should look for a bigger church!!!:dude:dude:dude

16. shuffle

shuffle Member

Im currently using a VOX pathfinder 15 Watts. I leave my analogman comprossor on 24/7, beautiful cleans..

I use my ts9-808silver + DL4 as required. Many of my church folk are suprised at the tone!

It cost me next to nothing to buy brand new. AUS$185.

17. mbruffey

mbruffey Member

I had a Rambler and play Chet Atkins clean. Although I loved that amp in many ways, I found the Rambler could not deliver pristine clean at low volumes, especially in Pentode. I concluded this was primarily due to the lack of negative feedback circuitry--it puts out exactly what you put in, just like it's supposed to . . . . There were way way too many 3rd order harmonics at low volume, especially with P-90's or humbuckers. Now if you're a strat/tele picker, you'd probably get along just fine!

If you want a small clean amp, try the Rivera Chubster/Pubster series. I think Rivera has had about the best bang for the buck for a long time now.
    Best, Mark

18. Ray McFergus

Ray McFergus Member

Fender Champ, Princeton, or Pro Jr. Granted, I played a Pro Jr. a couple years ago in a shop that sounded terrific, and another one a month ago that sounded like total crap. I'm a humbucker fan, and it's better to play the amp in person first.

19. sshan25

sshan25 Supporting Member

Best small amp value around IMO.

20. Chito

Chito Member

Look for Fender Princeton Reverb IIs. There's a few of them that pop out on ebay. Great cleans.