• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Best Small Clean-OD Amp for Apartment Use

HyakuShiki

Any suggestions? I'm mainly considering the Egnater Tweaker, Marshall Haze 15/Class 5 or Vox Lil Night Train. Mainly curious bout the od side, since I'm also curious about the Vox Pathfinder as a clean amp.

Last edited:

HyakuShiki

The Fuch's is a bit out of my price range. However, I'm curious about the Super Champ X2 head and cabinet. Does anyone have any experience with these?

harpinon

The Super Champ XD is a fine apartment amp. Decent tonez as well.
They can be had used at $150-$200.

Certainly not the "best". That's gonna cost you.

geek-mo

Silver Supporting Member
I love my Lil' Night Train. Great sound at low volumes, great cleans and overdrive. With the right speaker, it would be hard to beat.

dleuen

I think the Egnater Tweaker would be a great choice. You can get some very nice tones out of it at low volumes. And if you ever get a chance to crank it a little, it will sound even beter.

socalscott

First understand that even a 1 watt amp(NMV) is too loud for your needs.
The next thing to ponder is that limited db's makes the tube goodness fade away.
My 1/2W head only delivers the goods just after it begins to get too loud. I also have a sweet 2W head with scaling, five sub-mini tubes and TMB(TrainWreck Express based).

Here is my solution that easily holds its own, an old DG-Stomp with a boosted front-end and running the headphones-out to two 1x12's. Can actually reach Apt. db limits!

Tech21 has SS modeling amps(Trademark) that are very good, also the Mustang series is so cheap, yet getting very good reviews. So yeah, you can save a chunk of cash and better meet your expectations.

HyakuShiki

Speaking of the Yamaha DG Stomp, you might want to look into the the new Yamaha THR-5, or THR-10...

I had read about these amps in a previous issue of Guitarist magazine, and when my local GC got them in, I was eager to try them. Needless to say, they left me unimpressed.

For those wondering, the guitar going through it would be a Gibson Explorer or a Gibson SG Junior, a big slab of Mahogany with lighter pickups. In the case of the Explorer, I'm running a DiMarzio Bluesbucker in the neck and Airbucker bridge, and the SG Junior has a standard Gibson P-90. I'm also thinking of adding a Telecaster Custom into the stable, which I'll most likely leave stock.

The sound I'm shooting for is "There is Nothing Left to Lose" era Foo Fighters, and I think the Princeton captures the AC-30's gritty tone fairly well. I just need a clean amp with personality (read: not above using a Marshall as a clean, as it has a unique clean tone).

Speaking of the Yamaha DG Stomp, you might want to look into the the new Yamaha THR-5, or THR-10...

I had read about these amps in a previous issue of Guitarist magazine, and when my local GC got them in, I was eager to try them. Needless to say, they left me unimpressed.

What a shame to hear. Am hoping to have a listen to either model soon, as I'm so charmed by their retro looks. Best of luck in your search!

David Garner

Platinum Supporting Member
My Mesa 5:25 can get pretty quiet, even on 25 watt mode. You can get them used in the $700-900 range.

Cheaper than that, I think I'd second the Night Train recommendation.

wrxplayer

Silver Supporting Member
Nick Greer makes an amp called the Studio 10. It's only available directly from him. You can use 6v6, 6l6, kt66 and, I think, el34s. It's a great home amp. Great cleans at "normal" volume and wonderful OD turned up.

Also perfectly usable for gigging in a 3-5 person band. I love the amp. Not much to read on it though.

If your budget allows it go with one of the Diamond Amp's they have made a few different small style amps ranging from vintage plexi sound up to more modern sounds. If you can't afford that nothing comes close to the Tweaker not only do you get different sounds you get an FX loop and it will take any size tube in the amp.

Will

lang.murphy

Any suggestions? I'm mainly considering the Egnater Tweaker, Marshall Haze 15/Class 5 or Vox Lil Night Train. Mainly curious bout the od side, since I'm also curious about the Vox Princeton as a clean amp.

Vox Princeton? lol... uh, no? Fender Princeton or Vox... ???

I have a Class 5. For late night grind, I engage the low power switch, turn the volume pot fully CCW, and run a Marshall Guv'nor dirt pedal in front. Whisper quiet Marshall grind. I pretty much do the exact same thing with my Rockitt 50w, only instead of a low power switch, the Rockitt has a PPIMV which works great.

The Class 5 is capable of creating nice cleans. (Throw a 12AT7 in V2 for more clean headroom.)

But... as others have pointed out already... even a 1w NMV amp may be too loud in an apartment.

I had a Tweaker... nice amps, but I traded mine in for my first C5 and loved the C5 WAY more that the Tweaker. Yes, the Tweaker is a very versatile amp, without doubt. But for what you're looking for... grind at lower levels, meh...

And... personally speaking, my favorite cleans are big iron Marshall cleans.

Just curious... are you looking at heads to use with an existing cab?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom