Best small combo amplifier

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by amiry, Jan 27, 2018.

1. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike Member

I have both the Marshall JMP1c and JVM1c. They are both great. The JVM1c is more versatile, since it is channel switching, has an effects loop, and a line out. It has lots of gain in the lead channel, and a really nice clean channel. It is a great, modern sounding Marshall, and perfect for home or studio use. I've even done small gigs with it, using the line out to the main PA system. The JMP1c is more of a vintage Marshall sound, and perfect when you want classic Plexi-type sounds. It is somewhat less versatile, with no loop, no line out, and no master volume. But it is totally awesome for what it does. If you like controlling your output and OD with your guitar volume knob, the JMP1c is perfect. I use them both, and will never sell either.

2. Graffiti Yellow

Graffiti Yellow Member

I have the JMP1. It has the extra gain stage that you can engage with the button on the back. Didn't think I would like that option but I have been using while practicing instead of using a distortion pedal.

3. jlinde

jlinde Member

50's Gibson Ga40.

4. Wooders

Wooders Member

I had the same requirements as you and went for a Badcat Cub iii 15r with the k-master- cracking amps, no regrets

5. myke232

myke232 Member

Since your Rectoverb has a master volume and goes down to 10 watts, why not just stick with that?

Seems it would sound as good any others mentioned. Better in fact since some mentioned don't even have a master volume.

6. neteraser

neteraser Member

Thanks! Great to see so many cool comments!

7. neteraser

neteraser Member

A couple of thoughts on the way:

1. If money is not the issue, by all means go for the BF & Pre-CBS. Because making conclusions off a 66-67 amp is not fair judgement.

2. FWIW. I heard of some people in the industry who claim they've designed the lowest watt and the last seen blackface model. :YinYang

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  8. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Mesa Subway Rocket. Love it so much I bought a spare.

9. Jah Parsonanda

Jah Parsonanda Member

Fuchs Four Aces or Lucky 7 ... ripping tones from these. Low watt ... 5 and 7 watts ...

Sandman85 likes this.
  10. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Katana...reliable, no tube upkeep, with on-board power scaling for any size room. Plug & play, or dig in and tweak. Finally, a non-tube amp that delivers :).

11. Pelagic

Pelagic Supporting Member

Yes, starting out with 4 or 5 off this list would be a nice beginning for getting various tones at low volume.