• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Best small flanger

jmaster67

I was considering a flanger that wouldn't take up too much space. Has anyone tried the Ibanez fl9 vs the Maxon fl9? Are there any I'm missing?
I want the 4 knob kind so the MXR Micro is out.

Bucksears

Gold Supporting Member
Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but what kind of flange are you after?
Modern/intense (or something that gets that 'jet plane' effect) or something warm/sweet/vintage?

Long story short, here are some small box flangers I've owned:

MXR Micro Flanger (current)
Ibanez FL9 Flanger (current)
Ibanez FL-301DX
Boss HF-2 Hi-Band Flanger
MXR Flanger (4-knob)

Sorry I can't help you on a Maxon FL9 review, but I would take the FL-301DX (TS808-era) over the FL9 4-knob any day of the week. It's not as intense as the FL9, but not as metallic either; much warmer and can ALMOST double as a chorus.
I know you said small box, but the 'best in show' that I've ever tried (and still own) is the Ibanez FL99 Classic Analog Flange. If I can work some stuff around, it'll go back on my board. I've currently got the MXR Micro on there right now, due to the size.

The MXR Micro is fabulous for the sound/size/cost ratio; sounds great clean and does the 'jet plane' when you have a distortion in front. I generally like to dial in a sound and leave it, and that's where the MXR is right now. I do think a 'width' knob would have been a better choice instead of 'regeneration', but it's ok.

geetarman

Gold Supporting Member
The Maxon Fl-9 is a great unit I only got rid of mine because I got a Hartman Flanger for that Mistress sound.

jmaster67

I'm after something that can do late 70s trippy stuff as well as some chorusy type effects. I have a DOD 670, so something like that

Trotter

The BYOC is a great flanger with a lot of range and its the size of a little big muff.

Top Bottom