Best Small Footprint Analog Delay

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by HowardMusic, Jan 23, 2012.

1. HowardMusic

HowardMusic Member

I think that this may have been asked before and responded to in a number of different contexts, but just wanted to try to collect current opinion on this.

I'm looking for a small footprint analog delay (Boss size) that runs on standard 9v (so I can use my Dunlop Brick to power it up). I have been using a Boss DD-3 for sometime now, and it is beginning to sound to sterile and synthetic for me - so looking for something more organic sounding - not sure how to describe this - but something less pristine than the DD-3. Not too concerned about price (but hopefully less than US $300), as long as it sounds good, and not too concerned about delay length either. Applications are to make leads sound a more full (while still sounding natural), and spaceship stuff (self-oscillation).

For current production I think this is it:

Behringer VD400
    Arion SAD-3
    Maxon AD9 Pro
    Ibanez AD9
    Malekko 616
    MXR Carbon Copy

Of these, and for reference, I've only tried out the Malekko 616, and thought that this sounded too clean, although the 616 Lo-Fi, to me sounded more like what I had in mind. Of the current production pedals, I was leaning towards the Maxon AD9 Pro, but am worried that this may sound too clean and refined.

And used stuff I've been looking at are:

Boss DM-2
    Boss DM-3

Please let me know if there are any others I should consider.

Given all the choices just thought I'd ask here, and hopefully get some responses from people who are more familiar with this than I am, and who may have already gone through the same process.

Thanks !!

2. basti

basti Member

MXR Carbon Copy :dude

3. ivansardi

ivansardi Member

4. nrandall85

nrandall85 Member

Get an untampered-with DM-2 while you still can! I grabbed one for $150 on the emporium a few months back.

5. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

You cant go wrong with the CC.

6. Ultrawaffle

Ultrawaffle Member

1 more for the CC. 15 years now when the Carbon Copy is out of production it will be a "holy grail" delay that sells for 3-5 times its original price like the vintage boss. Seriously an awesome product you can't go wrong with.

7. pennylink

pennylink Member

You can cross a new Ibanez AD9 off the list as it has been discontuned. If you can a find a used Keeley modded AD9, now those sound great.

8. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

If you can find it, The analogman AR20DL, just amazing slapback and cloud of delay for leads, great analog delay. Superb spaceship landing oscillation, the 300ms version is just perfect. I want my ARDX20 to sound as good, but it just desn't, it sounds great and has its own thing, but for the syruppy pillow of delays sounds and the firm toneful slapback, the AR20DL just wins very hard.

9. CRWolf

CRWolf Member

FWIW, you can still find new AD-9s at a few places; assuming the websites are up-to-date.

10. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

Based on the OP's requirements, it sounds like the Jack DeVille Dark Echo is a good delay to look into. I have one for the same reasons, and it is spot on. Great slapback as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rOlExaUX_Q

11. 3 chord me

3 chord me Member

I have a Carbon Copy right now. I have a Malekko 616 on the way. I'm really looking forward to comparing the two. I have a feeling I'll be keeping both anyway though :)

12. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

If you're not too concerned with price you should look at an old Ibanez AD-80. That delay is a superb sounding unit. It can also be easily powered by the DC brick through one of the three 18v outputs. It is far superior to the old Boss stuff and has a longer delay time than the Boss- not by much but it does.

13. erksin

erksin Member

This would be my pick too - problem is they are VERY hard to find as people just don't let them go.

To my ears, it sits pretty squarely between the DM-2 and DM-3 in terms of sound. If I was to try and replace it with either one of the Boss units, I'd probably go DM-3 for the increased clarity since I'm primarily a slapback player.

Others to consider would be a Malekko E300B or Arion SAD-1 - both of these are excellent as well.

14. erksin

erksin Member

This is the one classic delay I haven't tried and would love to - always hear great things about the AD-80.

15. ckeathley14

ckeathley14 Member

Carbon Copy sounds great. Great modulation on it! It's a toss up between the CC and AquaPuss but I have the CC on my board now!

16. digiTED

digiTED rock > talk

Lest we forget the best slappie I've heard: the Analogman AR20DL.

17. erksin

erksin Member

First cup of the AM, Ted? :p

18. Analog Delay

Analog Delay I Judge Books By Covers Silver Supporting Member

Yup.

19. jkokura

jkokura Member

20. huggernaut

huggernaut Member

Really funny you say that as I ditched my AD-80 a few months back and found that I was more suited to using a Montavillian in most of my playing. :rotflmao