Best small form factor Klon-esque pedal without a charge pump (Strymon issue)

jsytsma

So I have a Keeley Oxblood, which sounds great, but it's got that pesky charge pump that doesn't play nicely with my Strymon DIG - here's the thing: If I have to pick one, I'm picking the DIG.

I know I could run the Oxblood after the delay, or run the delay in my effects loop, but neither of things are super conducive solutions for my context.

So:

Klone or Klon-like.
MXR-ish size form factor (not necessarily - the Tumnus may work, but I'd actually prefer a slightly larger form factor)
No charge pump

Watchu got TGP?

(for frame of reference, my favourite Klon-ish pedal has been the Bondi Sick As, but it's too big to fit right now)

Gillespie1983

How about the Walrus Audio Voyager? Very Klonesque to my ears. I own a Voyager and a Lil' MO from Rimrock Effects. Very similar.

jsytsma

How about the Walrus Audio Voyager? Very Klonesque to my ears. I own a Voyager and a Lil' MO from Rimrock Effects. Very similar.

Seems to definitely be some overlap though to my ears the Voyager seems a bit weaker and thinner. This was generally my opinion when hearing demos of Voyager

BlueFlameAmps

The VFE Merman and new live series Mermaid both get a bit of that whine too.
Everyone focuses on the issue with Strymon gear but I have it with my TC Flashback X4 and an analog voiced Pt2399 based pedal too. Feels like once your ear tunes in to it you can't escape......

DisasterArea

Owner, Disaster Area Designs and Alexander Pedals
So basically I just need to find a way to get a Sick As to fit on my board again...
The Sick As and Del Mar both have charge pumps. Neither make any noise with my Strymon gear.

Part of the Klon "mojo" is the higher headroom afforded by the charge pump. Most pedals out there purporting to be "Klon-ish" or "Klones" will include some type of charge pump to allow part of the circuit to have +/- 9V rails.

edgie

IIRC, the charge pump is one of the prominent features of Klon-type pedals. They need that pump to hold the bass frequencies together. Not an expert in electronics though, so for those who can explain better, please correct me if I'm wrong.

BluesHarp

The charge pump up to 18V is what gives it its headroom and extra clarity too.
Isnt buying a better power supply with each independent pedal getting an isolated voltage feed, a better idea?

pappafox

I was just browsing around the T. C. Jauernig site. It appears they make a klone of sorts (Khiron) with out a charge pump.

jsytsma

The Sick As and Del Mar both have charge pumps. Neither make any noise with my Strymon gear.

Part of the Klon "mojo" is the higher headroom afforded by the charge pump. Most pedals out there purporting to be "Klon-ish" or "Klones" will include some type of charge pump to allow part of the circuit to have +/- 9V rails.
Interesting. Yeah I had a Timeline and a Sick As that played well together. Wonder if this is an issue specific to the DIG????

Trending Topics