Best small practice amp for clean sound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by brewbaker, Feb 7, 2008.

1. brewbaker

brewbaker Supporting Member

I'm looking for a $100 (approx) practice amp to get some decent jazz tone from. I've read about Crate, Kustom, Vox, Roland, Peavey. The choices with a 12" speaker appeal to me as I figure that they could put out the lows needed. A 5" speaker probably won't cut it. A beefy 8" might. Reverb would be nice but the modeling features that alot of these small amps have don't really interest me but I could be persuaded. Any recommendations?

2. farlowhigh

farlowhigh Member

I would vote for the Roland Cube...I think the Cube 30 has some nice clean sounds and some but not a crazy amount of effects built in (including reverb). more than 100 dollars but I think they are less than 200 new and so a used one might be close to the budget stated... there are several models possible from the small micro-cube to the Cube 15...and the smaller ones would obviously be closer still to your desired budget...

3. Super Locrian

Super Locrian Member

Tech 21 Trademark 30 ($299 at Musician's Friend) is the best small practice amp I've tried in that budget range. The cleans are very warm. They're also a bit nasal though, but you can dial most of that out with the excellent onboard EQ. The amp also has an Accutronics reverb tank. Great little amp.

The Epiphone Valve jr. ($149 for the combo) is supposedly very good value for the money - haven't tried it myself.

4. The Keester

The Keester Member

save up a little and try a Champ 600. great clean especially with a strat.

i feel the epi V Jr. is more of a dirtier sounding amp.

5. FFTT

FFTT Member

Why not save up and buy a good amp that will not only get you those
    tones but last a lifetime. The Gries 5

Unless you're talking extremely low volumes, none of the EL84 cheapos
    are going to get you enough clean headroom.

For cleans, you're better off with 6V6, 6L6, EL 34, 6550's, KT66's and KT 88's

6. farlowhigh

farlowhigh Member

+1 on the Gries 5 and there is soon about to be a more affordable 5 watt Gries called the Minnow...a bit more tweedy throughout than the Gries 5 apparently (a thread about it in the manufacturer's section)...will only be $549 new as a head and I bet it will sound fantastic...it will several hundred dollars less than the Gries 5 and so maybe will be more of an option...I have and love the Gries 5 and I agree that it might be worth it to save up for a Gries since it will last forever and you will have the wonderful customer service that Dave Gries provides.

7. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

Did you end up finding a practice amp you like for clean jazz tones? I have a Cube 30 I like alot for that and it works for small jams too.