best smaller/parlor acoustic? sub 400

Bluedano1

Can't remember if it is 00 or 000 size but the Blueridge BR-43 ( Solid Sitka top/ lam mahogany body) is a small, comfy nice player with a loud, well balanced tone under $400.

( admitted Blueridge owner and fan, not this model, but played a used one, and it was just alive...)

Frozen Rat

Platinum Supporting Member
The only thing I've seen recently of that size in that price range that didn't feel like they'd come apart at the seams in a light breeze are the Fender parlors. I played them of course, I like to play everything I see. My impression is that they are never adjusted before leaving the factory. Every one I have played has been buzzy with badly cut nuts and a cardboard sound. You can get one of these in your price range, but just know that you're going to need to throw another $100 at it to make it playable. I think the models are CP-60 and CP-140. They have a PM model too that is out of your budget, and has the same issues. As annoying as the Fenders are, the Rogue is far worse, basically garbage. There's a Recording King parlor for $200, but I have no experience with it. There's several others out there real cheap, but they all sound really horrible.

I think that if I had to stay in that budget for a parlor type of guitar, I'd go with a Taylor GS Mini. Not a parlor per se., but close, and they're made well and sound good. You'd have to find one used to be sub-$400.

Tony Done

"Best" is in the ears and fingers of the player, but I would be looking at Recording King and A&L.

jklotz

I've got a little The Loar LH-200 that is a great guitar and can be had within your budget.

A_Aron

I played a Yamaha FS720 a while back and was very impressed with it. It's a 000 size guitar. It should be well under your budget.

mccreadyisgod

Art & Lutherie or Alvarez. I have an older A&L, it's awesome, great neck. And I had my paws on an Alvarez that was **amazing**, but the wife was not in the mood. Slotted headstock and great projection, just a sweetheart for like $300 used.

JSeth

Breedlove makes a line called the Discovery Series... dreadnought, Concerto (OOOO), Concert (OOO) and Parlor (OO). Solid sitka spruce tops, laminate mahogany b/s, gig bag... $299.

I've played a lot of these, and they are very nice guitars... may need a setup, but probably not. These are made overseas, but Breedlove is in Bend, Oregon, and they have the overseas stuff sent there for inspection, before being sent to stores. Plus, their Customer Service is really nonpareil, as good as I've ever heard of. Very much under nearly everyone's radar, Breedloves build wonderful guitars, especially the newer ones coming out of Bend; they've found some sort of method to match the resonate fequencies of the top to the back of the guitars, and they sound superb! I was NOT a fan of the JLD truss system they used to use in their USA-made models, but this new method is really producing the result.

If you were looking for a slightly bigger guitar, I'd suggest having a look at the new Alvarez Masterworks guitars; an OM and a dreadnought; solid spruce tops, solid mahogany b/s, herringbone trim, excellent fit and finish, a really sweet hard shell case, no electronics, $599!!! I'm really not a dreadnought guy, but the first of these I played was a dread. I was SHOCKED! sounded every bit as good as a new D-18 Martin, if not better... for a quarter-third the price...

Frozen Rat

Platinum Supporting Member
Breedlove makes a line called the Discovery Series... dreadnought, Concerto (OOOO), Concert (OOO) and Parlor (OO). Solid sitka spruce tops, laminate mahogany b/s, gig bag... $299.

What he said ^^^ these are excellent choices. Breedlove is a cut above. It's odd, but while I've never grown to love their upper tier products, I really do like their lower end products. For the price, they are very tough to beat.

jnovac1

Silver Supporting Member
any recommendations?
if i could get my butt out of my parlor, i’d like to try one of those ibanezs with the roasted mahogany top. avc9. can’t put my guild m20 down, so i’ll sit tight.

beatcomber

Slightly over your budget, but the Farida OT-12 and OT-22 (available exclusively from Elderly) are worth considering.

(I have the all-solid OT-25 and it is superb.)

Uncle Bob

What he said ^^^ these are excellent choices. Breedlove is a cut above. It's odd, but while I've never grown to love their upper tier products, I really do like their lower end products. For the price, they are very tough to beat.
I have one of the Discovery Concert models. Every now and again I cycle it out and play my vintage J45, which leads me to thinking about trading the Breedlove for something else. I got to thinking about a Taylor GS-Mini this weekend, so I got the Breedlove out on Thursday to have it ready to carry to the shop Saturday, but I started playing it and thought it would be nuts to trade it off.

Turbo Gerbil

I recently picked up an Alvarez Masterworks parlor MPA66 with the slotted headstock. All solid woods used for $450, it is outstanding and still a steal at the new price of $629.

feet

Silver Supporting Member
If you are willing to spend a little, a larrivee is probably a good idea. At a lower price point, id be curious about a nice alvarez, as stated above. The high end ones are amazing, and I plinked on a cheap one for a few once and it seemed really good.

tonydetiger

I'd also throw in the Breedlove Passport Traveler. Probably not a true parlor guitar, but the 3/4 size and full scale would make it work. I owned one when I traveled for work, and it was a great guitar for the money. They're $399 new, but I got a used one for around $250.

Shepard man

I had one of the little A&L's just to make sure that I liked the size and it was fine for the price.

Once I established that I liked them I upgraded to a Pono.

I'd still like to pick up a Loar because I remember when they were getting rave reviews on another site.

Trending Topics