1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Best software for slowing down musical passages

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Super Locrian, May 14, 2006.

1. Super Locrian

Super Locrian Member

I've been using the demo version of Amazing Slow Downer for some time, and it seems to be a quite good program. Before paying for the full, registered version, I'd like to see if there are alternatives that I ought to consider. The only fault I've been able to find with ASD, is that it can be hard to dial in the EQ if the part I want to transcribe is buried in the mix.

2. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

3. tonezoneonline

tonezoneonline Member

You may want to try Pacemaker.It's a free plug in for WinAmp.

4. sws1

sws1 Member

Amazing Slow Downer.

5. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

6. Super Locrian

Super Locrian Member

I downloaded the Melodyne Uno demo, but for my purposes, it seems ASD is more to the point.

Yeah, well, the Amazing Slow Downer is a transcribing tool, so I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say?

7. gennation

gennation Member

Not trying to sound like a wisea$$ but I've tried ASD and I regularly use Cool Edit for the same thing.

The PC softwares use and algorithm to stretch the audio. In doing so they pretty much ALL degrade the audio to the point of it not being useful. Anything below 65% of the speed can get VERY degraded depending on a few factors. This can help...

For digital audio, always try and use a (1:1) WAV file or a VERY high res MP3. During MP3 compression, lower res MP3's have all ready chopped out important information from the file that isn't noticed at normal speed but is very missed when stretching it...so...since they ALL do this same process...have you tried Windows Media Players speed adjustments?

Open WMP and go to View->Enhancments->Play Speed Settings.

They don't really even let you go below 50% in the program as its not really useful in any digital audio speed program.

I have heard the Tascam device that slows down a CD for learning passages is very good. I've never tried but have heard praises from a few people I know.

So, before buying any slow down program, scope out WMP because it does the same thing, and in most all case, as good as the other "pay" packages.

Just try it with a 1:1 audio file and not a compressed MP3, and definitely no MP3 under a 400k bit rate.

Again, I'm not trying to be a smarta$$...I've investgaited the and I actually used to do IT and QA for a fluenent data compression company.

Try that WMP and let us no if there's a difference. I'd be interested in your take on it.

Edit: WMP also has an EQ. I haven't used it yet in conjunction with the speed control though so you'll need to experiment.

8. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

the reason i suggested melodyne uno is because of the caveat mentioned here. it does transcription but it's algorithms are much better in this regard than virtually any other piece of software i've used.
    as super locrian pointed out, it's FAR more that just a 'slow downer' and some may find that daunting. it's a great tool, tho'.

9. Super Locrian

Super Locrian Member

Thanks gennation, that's very helpful. I found the speed function in WMP, but couldn't get it to actually work. Not surprising, as I've found WMP to be possibly the most counter-intuitive media program I've come across. And the stupid visualization feature always annoy the hell out of me. I'd rather pay 45 bucks for a program that has the features I want whilst also being user-friendly. Although I'd like some feedback on the Tascam device, if anyone here has tried it. Does it work better than the algorithm-based software?

10. Jeeves

Jeeves Member

http://www.seventhstring.com/ offers shareware named Transcribe. The coolest part is that it also allows you to do a phase shift to cancel out the vocals. Of course it depends on how the original track was recorded but it works pretty well, most of the time. I've used this for years and I swear by it.

11. Super Locrian

Super Locrian Member

I downloaded the demo, and I must say I like this program (btw, sorry for my reply earlier to jzucker, I understand your post now)! Haven't found any shortcomings yet. I noticed that the speed options are limited (25, 30, 50, 75, 100 and 150 per cent, I think), but six different speeds seem sufficient for transcribing and practicing purposes. Thank you Jeeves & Jzucker for the suggestion!

12. jzucker

By the way, I used to use roni but switched to transcribe. I like it's interface better.

13. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

Does anything work for MP4's? When I need to learn a song, it's easy to score it on Itunes and download it.

Problem is that I don't think any of the current software accepts MP4's.

14. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

I've been using the amaxing slow downer to figure out parts. To me it's a great program and I recomend it.

15. ajmoment

ajmoment Member

I like Transcribe! because it is so easy to use and it works off cd's or mp3.

16. jumpskirt

jumpskirt Silver Supporting Member

I've found Guitar Pro to be an amazing program. It breaks out parts of songs into midi files - guitars, keys, vocals, drums, etc. It shows fretboard, tab, and notes on a staff. You can view and print out indivudual parts. Also, you select passages, slow them down, and loop them. It's been very helpful for me. I am a primarily rhythm guitarist, and sometimes it's hard to pick out the rhythm parts in songs. You won't find all of the songs in the universe in their song database; however, I've been able to find at least 60% of the songs that my (cover) band does there (Classic Rock, Pop, Motown, Top 40, etc.).
    http://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php

17. KLB

KLB Member

I had been using Amazing Slow Downer, but after reading this thread, I gave Transcribe! a try.

I am finding it a far better program than AMS.

:AOK

18. jamminoutloud1

jamminoutloud1 Member

me too, whoever reccomended transcribe! I share my love with you...I haven't transcribed this much stuff in years...I already have tons of new lines in the last 2 weeks and plenty of stuff that I have been meaning to transcribe in forever.

19. jzucker

i was the one who recommended transcribe. One additional bonus, you can load up a wmv video file and while it doesn't show you the video, you can slow down the audio. I used to transcribe a victor wooten video...

20. jamminoutloud1

jamminoutloud1 Member

Thanks for that! Wow, I was wondering about that, what do I have to do to get the video audio playing for me?