1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Best soloing/improv instruction books and DVDs

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by therigaletto, May 15, 2006.

1. therigaletto

therigaletto Member

Hey guys Im a seasoned player but Im feeling stale with my licks and improv...can you guys suggest any great books or DVD on the topic for me to check out? Thanks! and Hooray for gearpage coming back!

2. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Supporting Member

Don Mock's stuff is great. His video (don't know if it's on DVD) on Blues and beyond is fantastic, as are his books on Melodic Minor & Harmonic Minor.

3. JamesO

JamesO Member

Check this book out. It's very very educational.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Books/Video/Books?sku=906286

It's an extremely usable and thorough analysis of Mile's Davis' work. You need to be able to read music, but it's not complex stuff. One page will have a complete lead sheet and transcription of the solo sections. The mirroring page will have the analysis in a lead sheet type form with measures and this:

Cmaj/min7 (or whatever, you know)
    1 (harmonic value)
    HM (for harmonic minor, or wherever Mile was playing in that measure)

They'll have another page talking about the things that influenced his choices at the time, whoever he collaborated on the song with, and just other interesting information. It's an awesome reference.

4. Super Locrian

Super Locrian Member

There are many good books available, here's one that I really enjoyed which also is a little off the beaten track:

Guitar Atlas: Middle East - add some ethnic flavour to your playing! With a CD and plenty of musical examples.

5. tvegas99

tvegas99 Silver Supporting Member

I go through phases of instructional stuff, I am either in a jazz mode or I am looking for something else (country, blues, rock).

Jazz Mode: the Diminished Scale for Guitar by Marc Belkadi (mostly all "outside" concepts, examples only and lots of them, good), Walking Bass Lines for Jazz Guitar by Stephan Badreau (nice and easy, very comprehensive and gets you playing quickly) Talk Jazz Guitar by Roni Ben Hur (excellent with a very broad curriculum, exhaustive with great examples), 14 Jazz and Funk Etudes by Bob Mintzer (sax book that is sure to blow all but the most accomplished minds, very hard), Bill Frisell Video (simple yet so advanced, guaranteed to blow your mind with harmony/melody concepts and melody, melody, melody), John Scofield Jazz Funk Guitar 1 and 2 (inspirational and fantastic, IMO less of an instructional book and more of an analysis, obviously, on his style)

Something else: Blues/Rock Guitar Soloing by David Grissom (fun, greasy and very informative), Funkmasters James Brown Rhythm Sections by Allan Slutsky (awesome! get lost in hours of groove), Johnny Hiland Chicken Pickin' 1 , New Orleans Funk Guitar by Shane Theriot (just fantastic, really great rhythm stuff you need and probably don't know it), Greg Koch DVD Guitar Gristle (fun, inspirational lickfest, cool tricks)

None of this stuff, except for maybe Greg Koch, is really shredder type material, that's not my interest. Considering the most expensive one is probably JS Jazz Funk 1 and 2 @ around $30 going down to about $12 for Waling Bass Lines, my mind is blown by all the great stuff out there. All of the books have CD's which I like. Good Luck!!

6. on a wave

on a wave Member

7. Dana

Dana Guest

8. therigaletto

therigaletto Member

Lots of good info! Thanks guys!

9. 59burst

59burst Gold Supporting Member

For a compendium of some very cool licks, exercises, and ideas, check out Sheets of Sound. www.sheetsofsound.net I think it is a fantastic resource for advanced beginner through pro player. As I jump around through the book and work through things, they show up in my playing, which is very cool.

It was written by Jack Zucker, who hangs out here. So, if you have questions, it should be easy to get them answered!

10. Kappy

Kappy Member

+1 to the Don Mock "Secrets" series. Great books, you can get each book/cd for like $10-12 too. Hard to beat that value. Since you're a seasoned player, you might be up for the John McLaughlin 3 DVD set. It's expensive, but it's good. He goes through his modal approach to playing, gives tons of exercises for mastering scales and for rhythmic variation in playing them and there are intermediate and advanced solos transcribed (standard and tab are downloadable separately). That's just the first DVD, I haven't watched the other two yet....too much material to master before moving on. Another vid set you might like is the Scott Henderson 2VHS set Fusion/Melodic Phrasing. There are tons of ideas in those.

I'd also 2nd the Bergonzi series, if you're going for jazz improv, and I'd add the David Baker 3 book Bebop series (jazzbooks.com). There's also "Joe's Guitar Method" which is kinda' like the venerable "Advancing Guitarist" (another great one) but more of a method than the Goodrick book. And yeah, Zucker's book is great for just picking up quick ideas to incorporate into what you already know.

Wow, I can't believe they misspelled his name on Amazon. Great DVD, BTW.