BEST sounding 1x12 or 2x12 cab is...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by davidkiddmusic, Oct 17, 2005.

1. davidkiddmusic

davidkiddmusic Member

...I'm looking a very WARM sounding 1x12 and/or 2x12 cab that is well balanced. If you feel the cab your mentioning goes particularly well with a certain speaker you know of, lets hear it.

Thanks.

2. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

ToneTools Fat Cat 112. This is the cab that just set a new standard IMHO.

I put a Guytron BigTone 55 in there and never thought about changing it.

3. avenerjimmie

avenerjimmie Member

I've been told the ported Bogner 1x12 is amazing. I've never played it, so that's as far as I go.

4. davidkiddmusic

davidkiddmusic Member

Tone tools looks cool. I have an Ear Candy 1x12 that Ive been undecided about since I had it made 6 months ago.

5. Roe

Roe Member

bogner OS 2x12 with g12h-55 and a alnico blue

6. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

7. slacker

slacker Senior Member

I've got a Pacific Woodworks 2x12 which I bought (because it was cheap) as a stand by. It's got two separate compartments, one is closed back with a front port and the other is semi open with a removeable panel so it can be fully open.

It does sound very good with a variety of amps but it is very heavy and quite ugly IMHO.

8. gearo999

gearo999 Member

Orange 2x12 with a V30 and G12H30. SWEET!

9. Swampash

Swampash Member

+1 for Tone-Tools

10. ButchR

ButchR Komet Player Gold Supporting Member

Germino 2x12 with Celestions

11. davidkiddmusic

davidkiddmusic Member

what do you guys think of Divided by 13's 1x12 open back cabs?

12. Damon

Damon Member

My favourite 1x12 is my 1974 Marshall "Disco" cabinet, model #1995. Marshall only made a few of them as part of their Disco Unit that sported a pair of these with a two-turntable setup, introduced at a show but dropped before reaching production (see Doyle's HOM pg. 68).

The construction is the same as their guitar cabinets (fingerjointed ply), except it's only 1/2" thick. It's also an inverted bass-reflex design with a front-mounted baffle, rear-mounted speakers, and a tolex-sealed back. It's got some really nice resonance, and spreads the sound out evenly, both in terms of direction and frequency.

My other 1x12 used to be a 1x15, it's a Traynor YS-15 from 1971 that I made a new baffle for. With the back on it's more focused and beamier than the Marshall, gets some good grunt from the big interior volume but not as warm and enveloping as the Marshall.

OH, you meant best current 1x12? Sorry! :D but the descriptions might still be helpful to some.

13. Mike

Mike Member

For open back, Two-Rock, seriously. Load 'em to taste.

Mike

14. Phloored

Phloored Member

I havn't played the tone tools, but I'm inclined to think that it is great. I have a oversized detuned cab (1x12) and can wholeheartedly reccomend it to anyone who's first interest is big evenly dispersed full sound. I have a Tonker in there with 150 hours on it and it sounds smooth and full and very even. The cab is big (24x30x16) and weighs about 40lbs. Mines made with muti ply Baltic Birch. This thing fills space effectivly. I'd like to try a tone tools out too because I believe the detuned cabs are uber cool to my ears.

15. waxnsteel

waxnsteel Member

Good lord! THat Marshall is AWESOME!! I want 4 of them! lol

16. Phloored

Phloored Member

That Marshall looks cool, how big is it?

17. Damon

Damon Member

It's 24.5" tall, 22" wide, and 10" deep, so in terms of internal volume and port size it's not quite into fully detuned territory but it's getting there.

Check out this 2x12 for another odd Marshall:

Tall orange Marshall 2x12 (item #7358628451)

Misrepresented and overpriced in that auction, but hey, if I saw this at somebody's yard sale, I'd be all over it!

18. tclardy

tclardy Member

I just got a tone tools fat cat 1x12. I took Scott Peterson and Caz at tone tools advice and installed a Guytron Big Tone 55 in it. It is awesome. Makes my Bruno Sing.

Tim

19. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

This is a pretty broad topic... 1x12 v. 2x12, open v. closed back v. ported v. detuned, choice of speakers, etc. Everything really depends on the amp(s) you are using, and the sound you are going for. Any reference artists that you can point to as examples of what you are trying to acheive?

Warm and balanced..... hmmm... Well, the G12H30 55hz speaker (such as a Scumback SA-12-55) paired with a Blue in an open back 2x12 is a great suggestion for warm and balanced. That makes for a pretty versatile cab as well, that should sound good with a pretty wide variety of different amps (though having the Blue in there requires an amp with reasonable power output - no more than 30 watts into a G12H+Blue 2x12 cab). I have this speaker pairing in a 2x12 EarCandy Boa, and I'm very, very happy with that cab.

The most versatile cab I've ever owned is a Dr. Z Z-Best with the standard H30/Vintage 30 speaker configuration. I don't know if it's quite as 'warm' as the open back setup mentioned above, but it's more versatile... This cab sings a little more than the EarCandy 2x12 due to the Z-Best's thicker and more focused midrange. The EarCandy Boa is warmer and more balanced -- exactly what you describe.

To cover the 1x12/detuned thing, I recently took one of the speakers out of my EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12, making it basically into a detuned 1x12 (the cab is somewhat oversized, and deeper than most cabs out there so that makes it well suited to using it like this IMO). I've just got a single Scumback SA-12-75 in there right now, and I'd say it sounds very balanced and warm -- moreso than any other 1x12 cab I've ever owned.

If you're talking 1x12 cabs in general, I find the G12H30 to be pretty much the warmest, and most balanced choice, at least for the British/Celestion toned end of things. If you're mixing speakers in a 2x12, then there are a lot of different combinations that should work together to give you a warm and balanced tone. It's a matter of opinion, but some speakers work better in open back cabs, some work better in closed back cabs (my tastes are indicated to some extent above).

Just curious what you don't like about your EarCandy 1x12? I haven't tried Tim's 1x12's, but his 2x12 cabs, ESPECIALLY the open back Boa, are really nice. You could always call Tim up and see what he suggests if you're not happy with your 1x12.

20. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

I'll be honest, I had a Bogner OS 2x12 cab and the /13 2x12 open back, and prefer the /13 2x12. I'm sure some of it is speaker differences, but man that 2x12 just fills things out. I love that cab.

G12H30 and Blue combo is great. I'm looking forward to trying a SA-12-55 + blue.