Best Sounding Acoustic Guitar You've Ever Heard

tonesurfer

What is the best sounding acoustic guitar you've ever heard? Was it on an album? A particular model/brand of guitar? Are there clips online of it?

I'm thinking of buying an acoustic guitar one of these days. I'd love to know how good they can get.

marsos52

im not a acoustic flat top guitar player. with that said, for the lower end acoustics
the takamine and ovation imports are quite good for tone and playabilty

for the next level up i still think taylors sound great and play real well, but the originals were awesome, and ovation (usa made) are contenders

for the high end, too many to mention but the linda mazer guitars really blow me away

tonesurfer

More curious to hear some amazing sounding examples to see how high the bar can go. I can take time to hunt one down, cost isn't a major concern.

jimmybcool

Man, it can get as good as you got money :roll

Depends how you play and what you like to hear. At a certain point you are paying for name and bling. I would say to get pure tone will cost over $3000.

zombywoof

My answer is the one that is sitting right here - my '56 Gibson SJ. Fits me like a glove but Old School Gibson tone ain't everyone's cup of tea.

But there ain't no "good as it gets" acoustic out there. It all depends on your own style and taste.

clemduolian

Gold Supporting Member
The best I ever heard was Tony Rice playing Clarence White's 1935 D28!~
As far as dreadnought acoustic flat tops, this IS the best acoustic guitar.

Try to find/listen to Olson (David Wilcox plays them), Traugutt, Sobell (Martin Simpson plays them). There are many others.

For acoustic archtops, Ken Parker is it for me. I'm selling everything to fund a commission. check out www.kenparkerarchtops.com

It is the golden age of small builders. Enjoy the search.

LocustXReign

Get an 80's Yamaha
+ 1

I've got a Paul Simon model that comes in a close second best to a 1964 hummingbird I played once.

I've also got a 1960's red label that I use for slide that sounds stunning.

They're a great bang for the buck!

or bowling

aw man, I got to play a pre-war Martin D28... it almost played itself. it was so balanced and responsive, i've never played better, truly inspiring.

Jim Soloway

Not even close: Martin Simpson in concert playing his signature Sobel signature model guitar with a Sunrise pickup. Absolutely stunning tone.

John Thigpen

Silver Supporting Member
In about 1998, I was in David Shepherd's store in Greensboro, NC and picked up a Bourgeois Martin Simpson model...I had never played a Bourgeois, and had heard of Martin Simpson but had never heard any of his music. A friend who was wandering around the store did a doubletake when I started playing it. He said "Whatever you're playing is the best I've ever heard you, and the loudest, too". I went back a few weeks later and bought it. It's a 12 fret slope shouldered dreadnaught with a cutaway. I didn't know it at the time, but it has an Adirondack spruce top (and Indian Rosewood back and sides).

That guitar ruined my life. In 2001, I was up to seven Bourgeois guitars, and quit a very well paying job to move to Maine to invest in and work for Pantheon Guitars, which put Bourgeois back in business after a bankruptcy. My wife hated Maine, and I only stayed two and a half years before moving back south. Financially, I've never recovered, as I haven't found a stable work situation, got stuck with a house in Florida that I can't sell, and I've sold most of my guitars. Still have the guitar, though, and have long since become a fan of Martin Simpson (and gotten to meet him a few times).

John

Strat

Silver Supporting Member
Kevin Ryan Mission Grand Concert. Played an Olson, a couple Thompson's, many Martins and a few others and and they all sounded great, real great.I bought the Ryan because of the beauty of the shape and it was the one I could afford, ( used ).

The point is that the correct answer for your question is to simply go play as many as you can find and buy the one that appeals to you and based on your style. Maybe it'll be a takamine. Good enough for Bruce....

Trending Topics