Best sounding Hi-Gain Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by redplexi, Jul 3, 2005.

1. redplexi

redplexi Member

Which amp out there can go from Hendrix type Blues to Metallica Heavy Metal? Does it exist?

2. rooster

rooster Member

That's not that much of a stretch if the amp is built right. Not spamming, but I build one in an 18-watt 1x12 package that does what you describe. The "clean" channel is very remeniscent of a JTM45, with no master, and the "overdrive" channel is a hot-rodded 800 type tone. It actually comes in 3 gain levels with the following setups:

standard: clean channel - much like a JTM45
    OD channel - like a hot-rodded 800, will get you to Iron Maiden and old Metallica easily

hi-gain: clean channel - more like a "plexi"
    OD channel - a much hotter 800 tone, will get you to almost Nu-metal levels, easily matches most super-hi-gain models with a boost pedal or light OD pedal.

blues: clean channel - much like a JTM45
    OD channel - like a stock 800, good for fatter blues leads, without much distortion, just "thick."

Also, the OD channel has 2 switchable Master volumes, and the amp works very well with single coils, P90's, and humbuckers. I think you get a lot of bang for the buck. The website is under construction, but you can call Wolfe Guitars for the lowdown. He deals them.

There are many other good choices, you just need to find which one does what you want. It's usually more of a "feel" thing than anything that sells the amps. That goes for all manufacturers.

rooster.

3. ski_fast

ski_fast Silver Supporting Member

Budda Superdrive series.... any model 30 watts or higher. Awesome rock tones....

4. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I never played one but the video clips I saw of Germino amps sounded phenomenal. Especially the LoVo 50. :dude I'm hearing great things about the Budda's .........but they are expensive! I sooner just get a Solodano SLO. Can't see tone getting much better than that.:dude

5. memberzonly

memberzonly Supporting Member

6. Mark Williams

Mark Williams Gold Supporting Member

Consider having David Smith, who is Dabeck Custom Amps (Allen, Texas), build an amplifier for you. He will build an amp that delivers EXACTLY what you describe as the perfect amplifier for you (He has built amplifiers like the one you describe.). Furthermore, all of his amplifiers are designed and built by David only, guaranteed "for his life," and delivered with David's promise that he'll tweak, modify, re-voice, etc. until you're absolutely satisfied. And here's a bonus: David will build a completely custom amp for you at a price that's about the same or a lot less than the other fine amplifiers mentioned here.
    Contact David at davidsmith175@comcast.net or david@dabeckcustomamps.com. Better yet, give him a call (the number's on the website: www.dabeckcustomamps.com).
    By the way, I'm not connected with Dabeck amps in any way except that I own a custom High Gain amp David built for me, and I've never been as happy with piece of gear.......ever!

7. 908SSP

908SSP Member

That isn't difficult many amps can cover that range. Marshall DSL100 for one my Swarty modded JCM800 for another.

8. ethomas1013

ethomas1013 Supporting Member

Hey Paul, it was great to meet you last night and check out a few out your amps/guitars. You're welcome to check out my Superdrive 30 any time if you would like.

9. Ricker

Ricker Member

Well I was fortunate enough to try a SLO out a few weeks ago....and I can tell you the Budda sd80 is the better amp as far as my tastes go.......
    I much prefered the Bottom end response of the Budda and I tell you the Budda sounded Fatter....thicker........darker.....smoother.....if that's what you like ....if not then Slo will be the better amp........the Budda sd80 clean channel is far superior to the SLOs clean aswell.
    I think in a multi guitar band the slo will cut better than the Budda.....but alot of the time you don't need to cut that much.........
    The Slo is a great amp though

Cheers
    Rick

10. rjmmusic

rjmmusic Member

+1! My current favorite amp. It absolutely can do blues, metal and pretty much anything in between.

To be fair though, a lot of amps can do both blues and metal, as others have mentioned. You don't even need to go with a small boutique builder. (gasp!) How about a Mesa Rectoverb or Tremoverb?

11. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Hughes and Kettner Triamp .... covers all the bases... others amps sound better for certain things, but its the most versatile amp under $2000 .... well under, used.....

12. carltonh

carltonh Member

I would rule out the Mesa Rectoverb, etc. because it can't get that good of a Hendrix blues tone.

Here are some more.

Bogner Ecstacy on the expensive end.
    Koch Twintone/Multitone amps
    Zinky amps, several of them.
    www.caubleamps.com (A cool PTP high gain amp builder)
    Pritchard Estoc
    THD Flexi
    Carvin Legacy

And of course Roccaforte.

13. somedude

somedude Member

14. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

Yeah, but Buddas can't do metal to save their tubes...I mean life...:D

15. SteveVHT

SteveVHT Member

VHT Ultralead will do exactly what you want, as will a VHT CLX

16. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I know alot of people like the VHT Ultralead cleans, but I'm not one of 'em. Kinda flat ... no shimmer....

17. hasserl

hasserl Member

Carvin Legacy. Straight out of the box, no pedals needed, no gimmiks. Excellent tone from both channels. And a good price to boot.