1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

best sounding phaser with true bypass

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ccoker, Feb 16, 2009.

1. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

just looking for recommondations on a killer sounding warm phaser with a true bypass

thanks

2. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

I've been through a few and settled on the Retro Sonic. Its a phase 90 with a regeneration knob and volume. Small, covers a lot of ground and not too expensive. TB too.

3. barthowk

barthowk Member

4. justonwo

justonwo Member

I've only ever owned one phaser, but the Red Witch Moon Deluxe is 1) versatile with it's 6 way selector, and 2) very natural sounding. They have some settings that combine phase and tremolo that I REALLY like. The pedal also does tremolo on its own, but it's very subtle and I don't use it much.

5. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

The moon phaser and the maxon ph350 are 2 of the best and most talked about phasers up here. Im not sure if the maxon is tb though.

6. ptbarnum

ptbarnum Member

mad professor's t.o.p, is definitely worth a listen.

7. fellsilver

fellsilver Member

My fav is still the EHX Small Stone. Both the Nano and full-sized versions are TB since '05. I've preferred it to the Red Witch and two incarnations of the Phase 90 (neither of which are TB).

8. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

Check out the Pfeiffer phaser. I think you can only get them from proguitarshop.com. Its a three knob phase and can even do some envelope filter sounds do to the feedback control. It sounds amazingly good and for $130 brand new I guarantee you won't find a better sounding or quality phaser. Yes its true bypass.

9. Blurillaz

Blurillaz Member

+1 on the Small Stone.

10. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

11. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

The PH-350 is not. Didn't have any problems with the buffer though.

12. markw1980

markw1980 Supporting Member

Tonefactor/Mojo Hand Nebula is tops in my book. It is like a Phase 90/Phase 45 but seems to be better built, and is TB-

13. shaneygoo

shaneygoo Member

one phaser to rule them all... modfactor ...if you're counting digital devices

pick a type neg, positive, biphase, feedback... pick how many stages, add a 2nd lfo, pick any waveform, or sweep it with expression pedal, sample and hold sounds like a step filter, tap tempo...

i'd get it if nothing else just because it will let you try out different types and if you don't like it sell it and you'll get enough back to pick out whatever one or two trick phaser you like most...

if you're only counting analog i liked the option 5 destination phase, which i believe is a feedback type 4 stage with optical components, lfo can go real slow and it's stereo so it sounds cool as a doubler

i think most of these listed are 4 stage feedback phasers? phase 90 and small stone are i believe

modfactor setting i use most is a positive 4 stage set for a vibe like sound

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  14. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

analog, definitely
    between the guitar and amp, I hate buffers, everyone I have tried (a lot) does something to the feel of the guitar I don't like
    warm and subtle is what I want

15. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

Then you need to try the Retro-Sonic Phaser. True Bypass, warm, 100% analog. It has a trimpot in the back that you can use to adjust the phasing.

Well built, great sounds, and while it is supposed to be exact replica of the vintage '74 MXR phase (I believe), I think this one sounds a bit warmer. Just don't expect to get crazy phasing out of this one. This one is more about subtlety and warmth...

16. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

17. Franktone

Franktone Member

Croakus sometimes sells the mxr phase 90 - 74 reissues complete with true Bypass mod or with the full boatload (includes light and power jack). http://www.prmusicsupply.com/

18. TNO

TNO Member

General Guitar Gadgets Phase 45 clone kit.

19. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

I'll throw in my vote for the Subdecay Quasar. I went through a few phasers, and finally landed on this one.

20. shaneygoo

shaneygoo Member

yeah when i was shopping the quasar was on the list, and the retro, and the redwitch, and that other exh that lets you pick notches or waveforms, just get them all