Best sounding single twelve cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Franktone, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Franktone

Franktone Member

What are the best sounding single cabinets out there? Is there a great sounding closed back cabinet, or are the open back or ported designs best. Rock music is my mainstay, but I like to stray into other kinds of music too. The head will be a Stephenson 30. Output tubes are two EL84's and two of any kind of octals that you can dream of, and any of the tubes can be switched in or out. The amp arrives with two 6V6 octals, but I wouldn't be surprised that I soon change these for EL34's. I want a single twelve cabinet since I am 53, and am thinking into the future of saving my back, otherwise I would go for a 2x12, but that'l be getting heavy in the near future. I think like the idea of the more inefficient speakers such as greenbacks. So what do you say?

2. Franktone

Franktone Member

Maybe I should have added to consider price too.

3. guitarsnguns04

guitarsnguns04 Member

I am on the same quest. I am favoring the Hermida design so far but I have never played on first hand.

4. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

5. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    personal fave, Mather Cabs. Peter Mather makes the cabs for Heritage Amps and some of our other favorites. i've got some custom ideas and Peter's working with me on them, esp. 1x12 right now.

:cool:

6. Structo

Structo Member

Yes, from what I have read, the ported single 12 cabs are the best bang for a single 12 cab.
    They tune the cab to the speaker for best freq response.

7. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Best open back I've heard is a Tone King (BIG SOUNDING and 3-D), best closed back is a Pure 64 (front port, BIG/FULL/THICK sound).

8. Franktone

Franktone Member

Thanks for all of the ideas here, from all of you. Many of these, I haven't heard of before, such as Mathers, but I am learning a lot here from peoples opinions. The Port City cabinets are nice but they mention LOUD and, well, I am trying to get away from loud. Do you think non-ported is a better idea in this case? Does the Suhr Badger single 12 cabinet sound good, or the /13? I may have to buy something in Ontario Canada, since shipping to here (duty etc) may be expensive.

9. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

The /13 single 12 cab sounds excellent. One of the best sounding 1x12s around to my ears.

My current favorite is the Magic Z TV-front cab design used in Mike's ZI, ZII and ZIIv amps. It's the biggest, fullest sounding 1x12 I've used.

10. JoeP

JoeP Member

Lopoline cab. I used one of their large 1x12, and it's huge sounding. Relatively lightweight for a large 1x12, and have it loaded with a Scumback H75, or an EV12L. Open back, and pretty nice for the price.

I've used 2 of them with 2 amps at once, and had a big stereo sound.

For the price, i can't think of any others that could compare.

11. ryhlick

ryhlick Supporting Member

Exactly what Riff says. The Pure 64 1x12 is the best I have heard and I have played th Hermida & Port City. The TK open back huge and round.quote=riffmeister;4458131]Best open back I've heard is a Tone King (BIG SOUNDING and 3-D), best closed back is a Pure 64 (front port, BIG/FULL/THICK sound).[/quote]

12. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

+1 The Pure Sixty Four 1x12 cab is just outstanding and simply the best...

13. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

Stephenson's own 1x12 is said to be exceptional...used in recording studios and such.Why not give this a try?

14. Franktone

Franktone Member

Yes Tedwoods, I may very well end up getting a Stephenson 1x12 cabinet in the end. Mark Stephenson says that a Celestion Gold sounds quite. What do people think about the Celestion Gold? Thanks to everyone who commented on all the other possibilities: /13, Lopoline, Pure-Sixty Four etc. I have time yet because it may be awhile before the head is finished. Thanks again to everybody that has contributed.

15. Dave L

Dave L Member

Out of the more standard offerings I´ve liked the CAE and Bogner 1x12´s the most.

16. GreenTea

GreenTea Member

Bogner cube was quite nice but I kept the Tone-Tools 1x12.

17. barryoneal

barryoneal Member

Always liked the Pacific Woodworks ported 1x12

-barry.