Best sounding stand-alone buffer?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Random Hero, Sep 6, 2017.

1. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

2. oxtone

oxtone Member

I really like my Lehle Sunday Driver Switch - it sounds fantastic, with many choices for tone with the push button switches on the side.
    There is no harshness to it at all. Lehle makes very high quality gear. That's why it's used by many pro players.

PaisleyWookie and LehleSupport like this.
  3. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for Silver Supporting Member

I like colorful buffers. Screw accuracy - I want something rose-colored.

My favorite buffer, hands down, is the Prescription Electronics Germ. So, so rosy, and the "overdrive" side can be used as a boost. But it's kinda big physically, and since it's gooped, there's no figuring out the circuit and putting it in a smaller box.

4. bobotwt

bobotwt Supporting Member

5. GTone80

GTone80 Member

Just discovered this topic ahaha
    "This buffer sounds good", I'm also one of this kind a crazy guy... but it's OK we are on TGP.

I extensively A/B test all of my standalone buffers and buffered pedals.
    Lately I even get reid of the new Boss Dimension C Waza, because its buffer sounds like crap. "Improved Waza Buffer"... seriously ? With that pedal in my signal chain, it really neuters the sound. But I liked the sound of the pedal by itself ahaha.

Here are the one that I kept
    - Mesa Highwire Buffer sandwich (Designed if I understand well by Mario Marino from Axess Electronics). Damn I love so much this thing, the best sounding buffer I had and maybe the most important pedal of my rig. As a single buffer and not a dual in/out one, Mesa Stowaway is the same so it's great.
    - Analogman Buffer
    - TC Electronics Bonafide and Polytune 3 with Bonafide are OK

The worst I've tried :
    - JHS Little black buffer
    - Wrampler the prestige
    - I'm not a huge fan of Klon type buffer

I've never tried the Empress one.

And last but not least, I've order the Suhr Buffer, for splitting my signal for Wet/Dry and have the ground lift/phase reversal function. Hope it will be good.
    I was hesitating between the Suhr and the Gigrig Humdigger as they have the same function, but went for the Suhr as I never had a bad experience with them.

6. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

It looks more like our Minimix 2 which is a buffer, mixer and has isolation transformers. If you just need a buffer splitter either one is probably overkill and our simple buffer would work which has a phase switch and isolated splitting.

7. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Member

I'm running a board with the following in my Boogie Mark 5:35:
    Digitech Drop < Vox Wah < Keeley Red Dirt < Keeley Son of Fuzz Head < TC Mini Chorus < Boss TR-2 < Boss RT-20 < MXR EVH Flange and TC Flashback x4 in the efx loop / how and where would I put the Highwire Buffer? Front or back of my board? Can I use it as a solo boost, as I'm not using the Boogie footswitch but I'm thinking about getting a separate box for the SOLO feature and/or just channel switching.

Thanks

8. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

It’s the most natural sounding and feeling buffer. There’s also a BB-01 boost/buffer that’s not as expensive but has the same buffer circuit.

Every single other buffer I’ve used tends to mess with the delicate midrange whereas the LASD does not.

bobotwt likes this.
  9. jimk4003

jimk4003 Member

Bear in mind your Vox wah (if it's a relatively modern one, like a V847), the Boss TR-2 and, Boss RT-20 are already buffered. The boost feature could be useful, but I think you're probably good for buffers; you've already got them near the start and end of your chain.

10. GTone80

GTone80 Member

Indeed as it was mention by jimk4003, you have some buffered pedals. BUT not all buffers are created equals.

Typically the Mesa High Wire will form a loop where you will insert all of you effect that goes IN FRONT of your amp (Never tried to insert the FX Loop in the Highwire, but I think we will have ground loop).
    So in a ideal situation, you have let's say 5 true bypass pedals that all goes in the front. You put all the effects in the Highwire loop, and it act as a input/output buffer, output boost for solo AND tuner out / mute function in order to keep already the tuner out of signal.
    I assume that the Empress is basically the same feature.

In my case, I'm going :

Guitar > Highwire (Buffer In / Mute) > Compressor > Overdrive > Chorus > Delay > Reverb > Highwire (Buffer Out / Boost) > Amp

As you are using effects in front and in the FX loop, and having some buffered pedals, it is a different situation.

If I understand well,
    - Digitech Drop
    - Vox Wah
    - Keeley Red Dirt
    - Keeley Son of Fuzz Head
    Are in front ?

[ /!\ This is only my point of view, I don't want to trigger any GAS]
    These 4 pedals are all True Bypass, so you need an input buffer (But does Wah like buffers ? I have no idea).
    You can sandwich that with a Highwire or Empress, so input/output buffer + boost/mute/tuner out.
    A buffer after the Vox Wah can also be beneficial.

The other effects are going in the FX loop with no need for additional buffer.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  11. amz-fx

amz-fx Supporting Member

There is nothing wrong with the simple transistor buffer used in Boss pedals. However, the way those buffers are used can cause problems. Most Boss pedals leave 2 buffers in the signal path when bypassed and some, such as the Blues Driver, use 3 buffers on bypass.

More info: http://www.muzique.com/lab/bypass.htm

Best regards, Jack

Glitch Magnet likes this.
  12. warren3333

warren3333 Supporting Member

The buffer in my TU3w Tuner seems to work well