Best Sounding Tweed Fender

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by atomicmassunit, Jan 20, 2008.

1. atomicmassunit

atomicmassunit Member

What is the best sounding old Tweed Fender you've ever heard? Tell me all about it! (no clones please, just oldies)

2. v-verb

v-verb Member

well I just got finished cranking my 57 Princeton - SWEET!!! Sounds better than any of the 2 59 champs or the 57 deluxe I had...

3. pjrhd28

pjrhd28 Member

A buddy has an early 50's Tweed Super ( 2 x 10 ??)

Amazing cleans.

REALLY amazing cleans.

4. Chuck Snider

Chuck Snider Member

low power twin (2X6L6) wow!

5. atomicmassunit

atomicmassunit Member

I've been playing a tweed Vibrolux with a 12" speaker in it for years. What a great amp! Since I liked it so much I've been looking for a Harvard and finally found one. A buddy of mine gave me a great deal on it, and aside from the tweed being painted black, it's all original and just smokes! I used it with my band last night and got one of the best tones I've ever heard or had. Possibly the best. I can not BELIEVE the sound of these little guys.

6. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

A few come to mind...a buddy of my dads used to have a 57 Deluxe that was the first really old amp I ever plugged into...I walked away from that amp thiking to myself..."Why doesn't my amp sounds like this?".

I was playing a 100+ watt PV VTM and up until that point in time I was kind of happy with it...after that day I started looking at older amps and really listening, trying to hear that beautiful grind his old Deluxe had...it was a life changing thing for me.

The next is a 58 Bassman a local shop used to have...I knew I couldn't afford it but i'd go in every week and grab an early 70's 335 off the wall and just play for a bit...loved the tone of that amp...it has one of the richest cleans ever and the overdriven tone was to die for!

I also got to play a narrow panel Tremolux about 3 years ago that really floored me...gosh, I love tweed Fenders!

7. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Tell me more about that Harvard...I really wanna try one of those...I really think there is a tweed Harvard in my future.

8. 250k

250k Member

I have to pick 3 here.
    Tremolux
    Low power twin
    and the champ

9. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

There was a '49 V front Dual Professional at Tonefest that sounded incredible. Rev. Gibbons favorite I have heard.

10. atomicmassunit

atomicmassunit Member

Well, basically the harvard is a dual 6v6 amp, 10-14 watts or so, and it is fixed biased with a feedback loop, so it has a tighter, more focused sound than the Deluxe of the same era, which is cathode biased with no loop so it has a looser, compressed sound. They both rock, but the Harvard and Vibrolux sound a lot smoother and less ragged if you crank them way up. They have the same phase inverter as the deluxe, and just a basic Vol/Tone controls. The Harvard only has two gain stages and a PI so it only needs 3 triodes, and they get that by using two sides of a 12ax7, and a 6AT6 (or 6AV6 for more gain), which is a single triode mini tube that you can still get NOS for cheap. I really like these because they have a cool tone, a little different than the 12ax7 only amps. There's also a schematic for a harvard that's single ended, but apparently none were made since they were the same as the tweed princeton. I really like the sound of the tweed amps with fixed bias. Don't tell anybody how cool these are, I need to get another one!

11. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Thanks!

I really wanna get my hands on one soon...that and a brown Princeton are next on my little Fender amp list!

12. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

I heard a tweed pro once that still haunts me. So fat and juicy.

Damn-

JD

13. surfshack

surfshack Member

this one has it all, sweet clean tone, classic crunch, and amazing overdrive, but lookout it's got power and balls. it's a '58, made to be played live!
    the tweed bandmaster is another great one , along with the tweed deluxe.

[​IMG]

14. RDM

RDM Senior Member

+1 on the bassman.

15. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

i played an original tweed pro with a telecaster that floored me. it was sale and i was broke. otherwise, i would have bought it on the spot!

16. atomicmassunit

atomicmassunit Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That black paint just kills me... but there's no way to get it off, and I think I'd rather see that than retweed it with new tweed and look like a new amp or clone... you guys agree?

17. Eskimo_Joe

Eskimo_Joe Rocker, roller, way out of controller Supporting Member

1958 Fender Super (2 x 10). Had been rescued from a dumpster (For Real!). It is the best amp I have ever heard. It was simply on a whole 'nother level.

18. surfshack

surfshack Member

yeah i agree, don't retweed it.

maybe somehow you'll find away to get that black paint off.
    but it's not that bad, it would be in worse shape if it was retweeded IMO.

19. playon

playon Supporting Member

Amen on the Bassman - dime the midrange and turn down the bass & presence & you are in Marshall territory. Here's my 1960, it has the 10pq speakers and is so loud that I rarely play it out any more unless I'm outdoors or in a really big room.

[​IMG]

20. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Gold Supporting Member