Best speaker for a Fender Bassman head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by handyman11, Jan 31, 2015.

1. handyman11

handyman11 Silver Supporting Member

Just picked up a 1965 Blackface Bassman head , and looking for a good 12 inch speaker for a 1X12 cabinet I have ......currently has a greenback, but at 16 ohms it won't work ...

Thinking V30 , but any suggestions are appreciated ..... thanks in advance ,...

2. killer blues

killer blues Member

I'd try and find a nice broken in EV 12 SRO they handle power well and breakup nice at higher volumes. The emi legend 121 is also a great value choice. I don't like the v30 as it tends to kill the fender chime somewhat.

3. garret

garret Member

A guy I play with has a WGS Reaper and ET65 in his 2 x 12, sounds incredible.

4. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

Don't know if you're a Social Distortion fan, but Mike Ness is one of the few guys I know of who has always used Blackface Bassman amps:

"Guitar.com: The time has come to talk about gear. Now, I know this is something you’re very well versed and passionate about. What guitars did you use recording this new album?"

"Ness: The guitar that I write on is a 1940 Gibson J-45. I have three of them – I searched high and low for them. I had a 1940 Martin D-18 that I sold last year; I’m just a Gibson guy. I gravitate to the Gibson J-45 every time I write. It’s a balladeer’s guitar. Then my main guitar that I use on stage and recording is a 1976 Gibson Goldtop Deluxe. When I got that guitar I took the humbuckers out and tossed them immediately into the trashcan and replaced them with P-90s. I learned that trick from Neil Young. The rear is a Seymour Duncan P90 pickup that is made especially for me the way I like it. The guitar has a Maple neck and I use a capo. And something about that Goldtop with the Maple neck and a capo makes open chords ring out really nicely. The trick is to find one under 9 pounds which is hard to do.

My amp is a 1967 Fender Bassman which has been modified by Billy Zoom who owns that company Divided by 13. It’s modified with a preamp to give it better tone at lower volumes. Those Bassmans sound great at 10 but it was killing the microphone at that level so he modified it for me and it works really nice now. I play through that 50 watt head through 2 vintage Marshall Cabinets with Greenback Celestion Speakers. That’s my tone. It’s very organic because I don’t like a lot of processed sound."

http://guitar.com/articles/hard-time-and-nursery-rhymes-–-interview-mike-ness

5. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

Depends a lot on what you want out of it. You can push them towards a Marshall-ish tone with British speakers. Mine is (mis)matched with an 8 ohm Altec 418 and has a great full bodied Fender tone. Not quite the sparkly tone of a bandmaster or twin, but it's not mid humped.

6. David Garner

David Garner Member

Along the same lines as Ness, the Eminence Private Jack is a 50 watt speaker modeled roughly after the Greenback. That's what I'd use, personally, especially in a 2x12 cabinet. For a 4x12 the Greenbacks would be good, and a 1x12 I'd want more power handling, so maybe a Celestion G12T-75, or even a Mesa Black Shadow C90?

7. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

If a Greenback sound is what you're looking for with a 50-watt Bassman through a 1x12 cab, a 75-watt Creamback or equivalent offering from Scumback or Weber Legacy series would be good choices. (And more than any other Fender amp, I think that the Blackface Bassman lends itself to a British voiced speaker.)

8. dju

dju Member

I have a 63 blond bassman that I want to have a 1x12 cabinet made for it. I was looking at using an eminence texas heat 4. http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Texas_Heat_4.pdf It is a 4 ohm speaker that matches up with the bassman 4 ohm output. I haven't tried it yet so I can't say if I like it or not but I thought I would mention it.

dj

9. Weezykid

Weezykid Member

The funny thing is I wonder how much truth is in that article. As a huge Mike Ness fan I try to keep up on things and have read a lot about him. Even spoke with Jonny at a pre-show about him a little..

Mike does use pedals and he has not always used Bassmans. Sometimes in non Social D shows he uses Marshals.

And unless he is a partner in the company, Fred Taccone owns Divided by 13.. Seems to be some mis-quotes in that article.

From my understanding Billy Zoom did some of his earlier amps, then he started having Fred build them for whatever reason. Although Billy still operates and will do the "Ness Mess" for interested parties.

Back on topic. The speaker choice will depend on our playing style and music choice as well. Posting what type you play may help for the sound you are looking for.....

Great head choice though!!

10. foo_3001

foo_3001 Member

The bassman is really cool with all types of speakers, I've had

V30
    G12m-65 (creamback)
    G12m (greenback)
    G12H30
    Weber 12F150
    Jensens, specially made for Koch
    Veteran30

All of them sound great, its just a matter whats your own preference.

11. handyman11

handyman11 Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for the great replies ,,,using the Bassman as a pedal platform (Keeley DS-1 , Keeley BD2, modded Boss MT-2 , Fuzz ) for typical 70/80's rock ....

12. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Although not a big fan of JBL's, I had a D130 with a Bassman head once that sounded real good. Too loud though!
    It depends so much on what you want sound wise.
    Warm or Smooth top? Cannabis Rex or Weber Amsterdam.
    Strong balanced and clean? JBL, EV or Mesa Boogie Celestion.
    For some reason I liked my Bassman head with an 8 ohm load. Only fender amp I had that I liked mismatched. Maybe because the Bassman had the power to drive it nicely with the mismatch.

13. Weezykid

Weezykid Member

One other suggestion since you have a cab u want to fill... Pick an mfg with the cab specs and your set-up then see what they recommend for the cab size...

Another vote for liking greenbacks though!

14. gtone

gtone Member

Bassman + Greenback style speakers = Classic rock heaven

15. terrapin

terrapin Member

Jensen Jet Electric Lightning! My new favorite speaker for Fender amps.

16. blues

blues Supporting Member

A friend had a JBL D120 with his blackface bassman. He turned it into a 1x12 combo. Sounded pretty good.

17. foo_3001

foo_3001 Member

18. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

I have an eminence Texas Heat that sounds great with my Bassman

19. Roe

Roe Member

v-type
    g12h, 75hz or 55hz type (highpower)
    EVM 12l
    jbl/telonics k120
    wgs blackhawk hp