• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Best speaker for a late 60's Bassman 50 head?

mxr2000

Hello guys i would like to know for those that own this amp and love their sound,which is the best speaker to use on this amp for clean and drive sounds, plan to use a zendrive with this babe.? :RoCkIn:banana

kevinhifi

I have a '68 that was modded to the AA864 circuit. I've had it for a few years and have tried 4 different speaker configurations. I first used it with an 80s Marshall 2x12 loaded with greenbacks...not the greatest match. Then I picked up a Dr. Z 2x12 that had a v30 and a G12H-30. Not bad, but I thought it was a little on the harsh side. I swapped those for a G1265 and a Greenback per Dr. Z's recommendation. That was better, but the Greenback was muddying it all up. Right now I have a pair of G1265 (Heritage Series), and it sound fantastic. The clean sounds are nice and warm. The low end and high end is there if you want it. Overdrive sounds are full and rich and are what make this speaker really shine.

That being said, I'm not totally done with my search, but these may end up being the winner.

markw1980

I have tried Mojo speakers (late 90s), Greenbacks, G12H30s, Jensens, CTS, and JBLs. And, maybe some others that I can't remember. My favorites were a Mojo 15" speaker or a quad of G12H30s. Different animals. The 15 had squawk, but the G12Hs really had a great rock tone.

mxr2000

now you are making me think of using 12h30 with g1265 for a more classic rock tone anyone here have done a 2x12 mix using a Hermida 2x12 ported or any ported 2x12 cabinet?

kevinhifi

The Dr. Z cab I use is Theile ported. I'm sure the g1265 with the 12h30 would be a killer combo. I really liked the 12h30 when I had it in there with the v30...just didn't care much for the v30. The only reason I didn't mix the 1265 with it is the 3db difference in sensitivity between the two. Could be a good idea to get Weber's versions of these two and ask him to make sure they match.

mrmax

I use a Bassman 2-12 cab (Blonde painted Black, probably a 62") loaded with 2 -300 Watt EV's . That cabinet sounds better than any 2-12 I've ever heard. That includes my VHT 2-12 Fatbottom, 2-12 Soldano. Works great with all of my other amps too, Boogies, Egnaters, VHT, Marshalls, ect. That cabinet was from my very first rig when I was a kid in the 60's.
:cool::cool::cool:;)

kevinhifi

FWIW, I just played a BF Bassman at my local tech's shop through a Fender 2x12 loaded with old JBLs. Wow! I hooked up a Telecaster, and the notes came shooting out of that thing...but not at all harsh, just powerful. Amazing clean sound. When I cranked it, it just got more and more meaty but never really got as crunchy as my Heritage 65s.

DaveG

Platinum Supporting Member
I'm putting a '69 Bassman head into an Allen 1x12 combo cab, the head doesn't have any mods... yet. So far, I've tried it with Emi CRex & RWB speakers, and much preferred the RWB. It sounds a little more Fender-y on the clean tones than the CRex, and has more bark with gain.

mxr2000

Which speakers you guys think would help me to reach toa more Vintage sound with the Bassman 50?

Last edited:

Ronsonic

My fave with the Bassman is an old Marshall 4x12 with greens or blacks rewired for 4 Ohms. Huge, fat and sweet either clean or dirty.

LPSlinger

I have a '64 AA864 Bassman. I run it into a 2x10 loaded with an Eminence mixed pair of a Ragin' Cajun and a Ramrod. Personally I think it sounds really great. I'd like to try it through a 2x12 just to see what the difference is, but I've been running the 2x10 for so long I'm not sure if I'd like it any better. Mixing the Ramrod and Ragin' Cajun has been good for me as I have different options when micing. The Ramrod has that midrangey British sound and the Ragin' Cajun has more of a slightly mid scooped American tone. They complement eachother well IMO.

Trending Topics