Best speaker for AC30?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by heajos, Feb 6, 2012.

1. heajos

heajos Member

got a plan to change them..

2. hogy

hogy Member

There's only one speaker for an AC30, and that's the Vox/Celestion Blue. Nothing else sounds right.

Boomstick likes this.
  3. exrunnerguitarist

exrunnerguitarist Member

If however you don't like the sound of the celestion blues, I absolutely LOVE my AC30 with greenbacks. Also, I've heard AC30's with V30's, Celestion Golds, Silver Bell Speakers (think U2 tone although the edge uses one blue and one silver) and combos of these such as a green and gold, green and blue, etc. Keep swapping and watching demos til you get what you like.

4. FFTT

FFTT Member

U.K. Celestion Blues are the accepted standard, but I agree you can try
    Golds, Greenbacks, Weber Blue Dogs or Fane AXA12's

5. Funky54

Funky54 Member

If we are talking vintage, for the most part the blue and silver are identicle. same cone and everything. There is also a grey that is the same.. I have heard rumar many times over the years from guys who should and do really know there stuff, that one of them either the grey or the silver is actually rated at 20 watts instead of 15..others chime in and tell me I'm full of it.. I dont know for sure, but since I have heard that a few times over the years from different sources I think there must be something to it. I alos have seen a published sales lit flyer type mailer that went to dealers in the 60's that said 20 watts..could be a typo..no clue.

6. mAx___

mAx___ Member

What's the ideal AC30 sound you're after? The Shadows, Brian May, The Edge, Radiohead, early '70s Ritchie Blackmore?

Most classic AC30 sounds are associated with the Blue. However, the sound I was after required the Celestion G12H and I can't be happier with the way they sound.

7. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

The obvious answer is Alnico Blues or a similar type (like Weber Blue Dogs)

But I have had good luck with Celestion anni G12H30's as well. I think if you stick with Greenback or G12H30 type speakers that they are a good match, gives the Ac30 more versatility. Always wanted to try a Fane too.

8. heajos

heajos Member

I'm thinking of maybe running a blue and a greenback together.
    Sounds like the best option with the most versatility.

9. Funky54

Funky54 Member

You might find that to not work so well... If it sounds dark..you eq for a brighter sound, but then that other speaker is bright.. may find it just never sounds right. Two matching speakers, and at least what you do has the same effect on both speakers, for consistant tuning.

10. heajos

heajos Member

11. Etosser

Etosser Member

Funky is right. I tried the green/blue for a while, and wasn't very pleased with the result. The blue is more efficient than the green, so it sticks out a bit more.

Two blues or two greens.

This being said, I have never tried any other mix...some people like to mix Vintage 30's in their AC's.

12. heajos

heajos Member

Hm, well I previously played an Orange Tiny Terror through a V30 and it didn't do anything for me.

I've listened to a couple comparison and I think I like blues better, although the greenbacks sound sweet too.

13. Etosser

Etosser Member

Keep in mind the blues require a good break in. They can be a bit toppy right ootb.

14. heajos

heajos Member

Do you think it would be a good idea to try a find some used blues?

15. Funky54

Funky54 Member

I'm gonna really burst your bubble...not all blues are the same, You want he ones with a cone code of H1777 not the chineese ones that sound completely different. Their code is somethng else. The original early 60's blues can fetch $500 a peice. There are good replacements for $250, just make sure its the right cone. Another possible is the Weber or the scumback. They really do capture the feel without the price.

16. heajos

heajos Member

Man.. what's the deal with the chinese.
    Why do they always suck..

17. Gretsch&Vox

Gretsch&Vox Member

Celestion Blues (original or reissue are great).

Incidentally, the Chinese Celestion Blues from the VOX Custom Classic (CC) Series and the Heritage Series can sound like the UK Celestion Blues by simply changing the speaker cone to a Mueller H1777. The latest Custom (C) Series and the Hand Wired (HW) Series VOX amps supposedly reemploy the Mueller H1777 cone on the models that have the Celestion Blue speakers.

18. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

actually a lot of the chinese work is getting quite good including the celestion speakers. I just got a greenback that is spot on.

19. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

I agree. I've owned many English made reissue Greenbacks, and the current Chinese reissues I have now sound better to my ears. I even prefer them over the more expensive Made In England Hertige G12M Greenback as well. :omg

But getting back to the OP's original question - If you want the definitive classic AC30 tone and response then you should go with Celestion Blues (my favorite speakers in a Vox), but that said, I've played a few AC30's loaded with Greenbacks and they sounded very good too - just different.

I think a lot of differnt types of British speakers are viable options and will sound good with an AC30, simply because an AC30 is such a great sounding amp to begin with! Just depends how close to the classic Vox tone and response you want to be??

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  20. heajos

heajos Member

I appreciate it, you've been very helpful and informative.
    I'll sit on the thought for a while before I make a decision, I may just go with the greenbacks simply because they aren't as pricey.

:cry: