Best Speaker for Deluxe Reverb?

Todd Lynch

I've been using an Emi Governor for the past year in my 79SF - and while I've been really happy with it, I've been wanting something with stronger low-mids. Not sure what to try. I want a speaker with lots of output and lots of headroom - something that doesn't breakup easily.

Oatie

I put a Celestion Gold ALNiCo in my 1965 Deluxe Reverb back in 2006 and it's been there since. I had to drill the other 4 holes to make 8 total. I used a Sharpe center punch, then a small pilot hole (1/8") and then the Finish Hole size. I used a Shop-Vac to suck as I drilled. There is a little bit of skill needed to drill the frame, the steel is very hard. If you try to drill the frame without a small pilot hole, the bit will drift from the center punch. The small pilot hole is key.

I made a new set of baffles for my Pro and run the 12" Gold, the 2nd baffle is a 2x10 and I run 2 golds and use the Pro as a Super.

I just love the tone from these speakers.,

speakergold.jpg

79640-pJqcl5ejk5.km5yVmqU-1959_pro_5e5a_celestion_gold_50.jpg

joelster

Silver Supporting Member
I just bought a Scumback M75 for mine but haven't had a chance to put it in yet... dammit...

Kingpin

I like the Scumback J75 in my '76 SFDR. Just the right amount of mid-emphasis to balance the amp out.

Runner-up favorite: Jensen Neo

third... Weber 12F150

bringing up the rear... Jensen RI C12N

mattymel

I've got a Weber Blue Pup in mine. Adds some nice mids and keeps the chiminess on top. Takes OD pedals really well.

RJLII

Wow, 7+ Years. This thread has some legs.

Now that the Weber the OP installed has (or should be) broken in, perhaps they can follow up and let us know how it all worked out.

joelster

Silver Supporting Member
Wow, 7+ Years. This thread has some legs.

It is one of the great questions that leads right to the heart mankind's eternal quest for meaning in a harsh and unforgiving universe.

Which speaker, indeed.

bgio

Silver Supporting Member
Hey guys, was curious for your opinions.

I have a '74 DR that currently has a JBL in it. When I crank the amp, it was getting some very fizzy overtones on the low strings. I sent it into Savage Audio to check it out, and it turned out that 2 of the preamp tubes were bad. Replaced tubes and it still tends to get a little fizzy. One of the guys at Savage recommended me to replace the JBL as he personally doesn't like the JBL in silver face amps.

I personally really like the cleans the amps gives through the JBL, but when cranked, that fizziness bothers me.

Is this just the nature of a Deluxe Reverb in general? Or is there a speaker that you guys could recommend? Was looking at the Tone Tubbies (expensive) and the new Avatar SA-40. Any other ideas or comments?

ChampReverb

Gold Supporting Member
The Eminence RWB is a very good speaker in a DR and the price is really low.

I had a Weber Alnico Blue Dog in mine ('67 drip-edge SFDR) for years and it was very nice but pushed the upper mids. It really sounded best when I had 6L6's in the amp.

Then, I switched to a Weber alnico 12A125A for a more traditional Fender sound and I like it but it seems a bit too scooped in the mids which may be why it gets recommended more for Tweed amps.

A friend of mine brought over an amp with an Emi RWB in it and I ran my DR through it and I the RWB sounded great. Very well-balanced and it just seemed to bring out the best in the amp.

-bEn r.

picnic

I bought my 4th or 5th DRRI last month. mine is all stock, just got it off craigs and the C12K is well broken in. Lots of opinions here, head is spinning. I have been happy with the 12F150 and California's in the past. Then I read all this and my head spins faster. I'm going to gig with amp Thursday and will listen closely. I have new JJ power tubes in it, so it should have more headroom.

bgio

Silver Supporting Member
I should also add that I do want it to keep up with a drummer and be able to use it in a bar-type venue, but I don't need the amp to be super clean when playing with a drummer. I just want it to clean up a little when turing down the volume on my guitar.

I like the vintage style Fender tone, so i think I want to stay away from Celestion-type speakers.

Also considering getting another cab made with 2x10s. I haven't heard a DR through 2x10s though.

I am with you picnic... Head is spinning.

Last edited:

manasquanto

Looking for advice/ output transformer theory here-

I have a DRRI with an aftermarket (Allen?) power transformer. It has your standard 8 ohm output with an added 4 ohm tap.

At the moment I have an 8 ohm Jensen C12K in it, but I have a 4 ohm Jensen C12K.

Is it ideal to use the lower impedance when you have the choice? Would I get a more balanced sound than with the 8 ohm?

Just wondering if it's a huge waste of time to bother switching these out. Thanks.

David Garner

Platinum Supporting Member
I've used the Tone Tubby V3112T, the Eminence Private Jack and the Weber 12F150.

The 12F150 is my favorite and what is in the amp now. 50w with light doping. It sounds very smooth and has nice overtones. It really compliments the amp. The Private Jack was 2nd favorite, especially with dirt pedals. The Tone Tubby was fantastic clean and way too harsh to my ears with dirt pedals. I'd like to try it again now that I'm using light overdrive with the amp instead of trying to make it sound like a Marshall, but I put it in a Fender Concert I ended up selling.

Tonekat

Gold Supporting Member
I have a coffee can EV SRO in my '65 DR. I can turn it up and let it sing. Heavy? Yes, but hey, the exercise is good.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom