Best Speaker to get for a Carr Mercury? Jensen maybe?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Joost Assink, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Joost Assink

Joost Assink Member

Hi everyone,
    I have a used Carr Mercury and it sounds wonderful, though not as great as the one I tried. I think it might need a valve replacement (that's another thread). However, I thought since I was going to the Tonefactory to get tubes replaced, I might as well try out a different speaker. He has plenty of options.

I find that I need a bit more definition, a bit more open sound, especially in the high-end. Not so much thick midrange, because it muddies up a bit when playing chords. I play strats exclusively and love my EJ strat.

I got a Mercury with the Eminence Red, White & Blue. Can anyone recommend a speaker with greater clarity, wider sound stage, more detail?

2. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

A Celestion Blue will give you everything you're looking for with the Mercury. You will have to remove the magnet bell cover to install the Blue. The bell cover is just cosmetic and has no effect on the functionality or tone of the speaker.

FVB

3. Joost Assink

Joost Assink Member

Thanks! From looking around on the 'net, I had also just found out about the blue. Apparently a couple of Mercury users have had great results with the blue in the Mercury, according to their Harmony Central reviews.

What will the blue add compared to the Eminence R, W & B?

An amp tech suggested I look at the Jensen Jet Tornado.... any idea's what that'll be like?

4. 1stormcat

1stormcat Member

I replaced the Kinpin for a weber blue dog ceramic and think it improved the sound considerably. I also swapped out the GrooveTube KT66 for a NOS GEC kt66. The amp has a great sound now.

5. Joost Assink

Joost Assink Member

Hi 1stormcat,
    thanks for the info. What did the Weber do for the sound? What were you going for with the Mercury?