Best speaker,tubes for a Traynor YBA-1 Bass Master?

mxr2000

i just found this beautiful beast that should be call a "Plexi Killer" but for a 50 watts amp is way too loud, and since is a 8 ohms head, want to use a 2x12 cabinet. so for those with experince with this amp any advice is welcome about the best speakers,tubes or mod for this amp?:RoCkIn:phones

DGDGBD

I use a closed-back diagonal 2-12 (Lopo-line) with weber blue dog/silver bell combo (ceramic); (30 watt-16 ohm each; wired in parallel).

Also, I found a spare OT tap on my YBA-1. It was a cut-off brown wire coming out of the OT, I did some measuring and determined that its a 16-ohm tap. So I extended the tap and installed a switch. That gives me the option of using my other 2-12 that I have wired for either 4 or 16 ohm load. That cab has a WGS Reaper and Vet-30 combo in open back. Livelier sound.

Last edited:

mvd18969

I can see why they could call it a plexi killer, I came across this clip a little while ago..........awesome tone...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sf2o-CgZvk&feature=related

i just found this beautiful beast that should be call a "Plexi Killer" but for a 50 watts amp is way too loud, and since is a 8 ohms head, want to use a 2x12 cabinet. so for those with experince with this amp any advice is welcome about the best speakers,tubes or mod for this amp?:RoCkIn:phones

DGDGBD

I use it for guitar with a Swart 1X12 open back cabinet that is loaded with a single G12H-30 (England). HUGE low-end (perhaps too much for some) but, I like it. Especially with my strat and Bombshell LP JR guitars.
50 watt amp into 30 watt speaker - aren't you worried about blowing it out?

bolero

I have one with EL34's it sounds great

google sean kilback, he had a great website about non-invasive mods that improved these...I'm leaving mine stock though, it sounds perfect already, like a cross between a hiwatt & a marshall

ROKY

~ Mullard 12ax7s and Tesla EL34s in mine.

~ Sounds good thru Celestion GB's, H30's, V30's .

~ Only mod I've done is snipped the bright cap on one of the volumes as
it was too high a value(screechy highs)

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Silver Supporting Member
I run mine into a 1X12 which controls the volume. I'm using a Scumback H75HP. This may well be the finest all-around speaker I've ever owned or heard.

I also added an external bias pot (through the rear polarity switch hole - with modern 3 prong chords, the polarity switch is no longer needed) and biased my YBA-1's EL34s on the cold side. This makes the tone smoother. Whether that's better depends on whether you want to be closer sounding to a Marshall (hot) or HiWatt (cold) (to my ears, at least).