Best speaker,tubes for a Traynor YBA-1 Bass Master?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mxr2000, Feb 27, 2009.

1. mxr2000

mxr2000 Member

i just found this beautiful beast that should be call a "Plexi Killer" but for a 50 watts amp is way too loud, and since is a 8 ohms head, want to use a 2x12 cabinet. so for those with experince with this amp any advice is welcome about the best speakers,tubes or mod for this amp?:RoCkIn:phones

2. JDW3

JDW3 Member

Mine sounds great with broken in V30s in a 2x12 cab. Using it with a Dr. Z Airbrake.

3. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

I use a closed-back diagonal 2-12 (Lopo-line) with weber blue dog/silver bell combo (ceramic); (30 watt-16 ohm each; wired in parallel).

Also, I found a spare OT tap on my YBA-1. It was a cut-off brown wire coming out of the OT, I did some measuring and determined that its a 16-ohm tap. So I extended the tap and installed a switch. That gives me the option of using my other 2-12 that I have wired for either 4 or 16 ohm load. That cab has a WGS Reaper and Vet-30 combo in open back. Livelier sound.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  4. mxr2000

mxr2000 Member

You guys ever use some celestion 65 prerola watts speakers?

5. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

I can see why they could call it a plexi killer, I came across this clip a little while ago..........awesome tone...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sf2o-CgZvk&feature=related

6. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

50 watt amp into 30 watt speaker - aren't you worried about blowing it out?

7. bolero

bolero Member

I have one with EL34's it sounds great

google sean kilback, he had a great website about non-invasive mods that improved these...I'm leaving mine stock though, it sounds perfect already, like a cross between a hiwatt & a marshall

8. ROKY

ROKY Member

~ Mullard 12ax7s and Tesla EL34s in mine.

~ Sounds good thru Celestion GB's, H30's, V30's .

~ Only mod I've done is snipped the bright cap on one of the volumes as
    it was too high a value(screechy highs)

9. GrecoVee

GrecoVee Member

Never heard of a Pre-Rola Celestion 65.:NUTS The originals 65's were Rola-Celestion G12-65.

10. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I run mine into a 1X12 which controls the volume. I'm using a Scumback H75HP. This may well be the finest all-around speaker I've ever owned or heard.

I also added an external bias pot (through the rear polarity switch hole - with modern 3 prong chords, the polarity switch is no longer needed) and biased my YBA-1's EL34s on the cold side. This makes the tone smoother. Whether that's better depends on whether you want to be closer sounding to a Marshall (hot) or HiWatt (cold) (to my ears, at least).

11. mxr2000

mxr2000 Member