Best speakers for a 100 watt Super Lead into a ZBest 2x12?

imguitardan

I have a closed back 2x12 Dr. Z Zbest cab and a '73 100 watt Marshall Super Lead. The only speakers I have that will work are Vintage 30s. I do have a Scumback M75 (25 watt), two Vintage G12Hs (a 55hz and a 75hz @ 30 watts each). Obviously, the Vintage 30s are all that would work right now but I've never been a fan. What are some affordable and appropriate solutions?

I'm looking to get as close to 100 watts (total) as possible so I can get relatively early breakup. Should I just stick with the Vintage 30s?

goldtop4g63

I would do the same except the 100 watt versions if your going to dime the amp. The 65's will probably hold up. You should get a speaker or speakers with a wattage double of the amp so you don't damage the speakers. They say a Super Lead puts out close to 180 watts dimed.

MRscratch

I would do the same except the 100 watt versions if your going to dime the amp. The 65's will probably hold up. You should get a speaker or speakers with a wattage double of the amp so you don't damage the speakers. They say a Super Lead puts out close to 180 watts dimed.
!why/ a 4/12 with green backs will handle a super lead?
this is a rms value, not a peak value. a 90 w z best cab, stock will be fine.
who the hell plays a 100w superlead cranked?
i have these items, no trouble.

JlMMY

Two Celetsion (Mesa Boogie branded) Black Shadows C90 handle 90 watts and sound great.

imguitardan

Thanks guys. I know I like the Scumback stuff, I'm just looking for other options as well. Keep 'em coming.

BTW: I will not likely be diming the amp. I seldom can get the volume to noon (and I have a PPIMV). I do push the front end pretty hard with pedals though.

MRscratch

Thanks guys. I know I like the Scumback stuff, I'm just looking for other options as well. Keep 'em coming.

BTW: I will not likely be diming the amp. I seldom can get the volume to noon (and I have a PPIMV). I do push the front end pretty hard with pedals though.
so a 60 w v 30 and a 30 w g12-30 will be fine. and sound killer . stock.

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Platinum Supporting Member
2 EV12L classics sound great! No one really thinks these will do the amp justice, but they do....

Scumback Speakers

I have a closed back 2x12 Dr. Z Zbest cab and a '73 100 watt Marshall Super Lead. The only speakers I have that will work are Vintage 30s. I do have a Scumback M75 (25 watt), two Vintage G12Hs (a 55hz and a 75hz @ 30 watts each). Obviously, the Vintage 30s are all that would work right now but I've never been a fan. What are some affordable and appropriate solutions?

I'm looking to get as close to 100 watts (total) as possible so I can get relatively early breakup. Should I just stick with the Vintage 30s?
The M75 65w models will still have the lower breakup, but the 65w coils will be fine IF you keep the volume lower than 5 on your SuperLead. Past that and you're going with 100w speakers.

!why/ a 4/12 with green backs will handle a super lead?
this is a rms value, not a peak value. a 90 w z best cab, stock will be fine.
who the hell plays a 100w superlead cranked?
i have these items, no trouble.
You can't add speaker wattage for a total, it's figured by multiplying the number of speakers by the lowest wattage speaker you have. In the OP's case, the 30w x 2 speakers, regardless of the V30's 60w capacity. That's because the speakers get equal power, and I'm sure his G12H will pop if he sets the volume higher than 3-4 on the master.

As for your other thought, I've got lots of clients wanting to know why their 25w G12M's sound fuzzy and distorted with their 100w amps...usually right after they've dimed the amp for "a few minutes" to see what it sounded like....which was probably great right before the speakers fried...then they order 65w models to keep it from happening again.

imguitardan

Thanks for chiming in, Jim. I love the tone of my 412 Marshall cab (w/ Blackback H55s)) but I want a more compact and reasonable (volume-wise) option. I've always thought that M series speakers were woody and I'll need something that breaks up (relatively) quickly but is still tight on the low end. What would you recommend? Thanks

Scumback Speakers

Thanks for chiming in, Jim. I love the tone of my 412 Marshall cab (w/ Blackback H55s)) but I want a more compact and reasonable (volume-wise) option. I've always thought that M series speakers were woody and I'll need something that breaks up (relatively) quickly but is still tight on the low end. What would you recommend? Thanks
If you want it all, go with an M75/H75 mix in that closed back Z cab. Just be mindful of the wattage you need for the volume level you set.

Steve Stevens and Pete Thorn were using M75 loaded cabs on Friday night at Tone Merchants, and there are some 1/2 way decent youtube videos up to listen to, or I've got some sound clips to review as well.

Shoot me an email to discuss.

In the meantime...Steve & Pete using M75 65w models here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg_Dc4uVitU&feature=channel

Or Guthrie Govan using H75 65w models here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxlZbHXNAJ4&feature=channel

MRscratch

The M75 65w models will still have the lower breakup, but the 65w coils will be fine IF you keep the volume lower than 5 on your SuperLead. Past that and you're going with 100w speakers.

You can't add speaker wattage for a total, it's figured by multiplying the number of speakers by the lowest wattage speaker you have. In the OP's case, the 30w x 2 speakers, regardless of the V30's 60w capacity. That's because the speakers get equal power, and I'm sure his G12H will pop if he sets the volume higher than 3-4 on the master.

As for your other thought, I've got lots of clients wanting to know why their 25w G12M's sound fuzzy and distorted with their 100w amps...usually right after they've dimed the amp for "a few minutes" to see what it sounded like....which was probably great right before the speakers fried...then they order 65w models to keep it from happening again.
oh ! sorry about the mis information. i always thought that wattage adds straight up. so you are saying that a dr z best cab, with a g12h and a v -30, is only a 60w cab at best?

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
FWIW, my favs are M75 100 watters for a 2x12.

That's what I have in my Scumback 2x12 cab and what I am using with my CA Revo.

imguitardan

I messed with the ZBest today and it wasn't too bad with the two Vintage 30s (tight low end, no ice pick highs and thick as a brick mids) BUT...there was this honky upper mids thing going on in the background (around 2K I'd guess) that was annoying and unpleasant yet subtle.

I called a friend who builds amp and is a pro guitar tech and he confirmed what Jim said about power to the speakers but also said that it wouldn't hurt to try some combinations so I removed one of the V30s and installed a Weber Alnico Silver Bell 30 watter. I'm running the head at 16 Ohms with the PPIMV at 5 (I may go to 7 at the max) and my volume(s bridged) at 2 (I'd go to 4 max). The Alnico Silver Bell added some nice compression and chime and opened up that annoying honk I had going before. I may experiment with removing the Silver Bell and installing a G12H-55hz to see how it pairs.

I KNOW I should buy new speakers that will match the wattage but it sucks to have great speakers sitting around only to have to drop $300 on a new pair.:crazy

Trending Topics