Best speakers for Ampet vt40?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Bunky, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Bunky

Bunky Member

Just curious what can handle the power of the vt40, and i'm looking for something affordable but that will sound great. I don't plan on cranking it all the time, butwhen the wife and kids step out i may do it the odd time. I just want it to sound it's best.

I don't really know much about speakers, this is why i'm asking. :)

2. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Let's see... The VT 40 is a 4x10" (right?) and puts out how much power?

3. Bunky

Bunky Member

I think it is 60 watts.

4. soulohio

soulohio Member

two celestion vintage 10;s and two jensen neo;s....unless you can find some 10 inch vintage Fanes.

5. Alvis

Alvis Member

Celestion G 10 L 35's if you can find 'em

6. Bunky

Bunky Member

I've never shopped for speakers before....my g.a.s skills must evolve.

7. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Eminence Legend 105...

8. Bunky

Bunky Member

What can you tell me about the Eminence? How do they sound? Are they pricier than celestions?

I was reccomended Celestion G10s, Jensen C10q, and also maybe weber 10f150. Any one with any experience with these through a Ampeg vt?

9. Fenderosa

Fenderosa Member

I have a VT40 with Jensen C10Q speakers. They are well broken in, but I am not wild about them. They can be a little too trebly. I am considering switching to some Eminence speakers. I have a quad of Mojotone Eminence ceramic speakers, but I am not sure if they can handle the power of the VT40. They came in a Super Reverb that I bought, but that is 40 watts and the VT40 puts out more like 60 watts.

I have a hunch that I would like the Eminence Legend 105 speakers because I think they aren't as trebly as the Jensen C10Qs.

I should probably contact Eminence to see if they can tell me what the power handling of my Mojotone speakers are.

10. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

They are very robust designs - sound much like a 12" speaker. Lots of bass, musical highs (not bright), efficient, articulate, 75w. Very reasonably priced (less than Celestion).

11. FFTT

FFTT Member

Ampegs, being relatively dark, benefit greatly from a tight, crisp, detailed speaker like the Fanes.

The Weber 10F150 is a good choice if you want the amp to lean more OEM Fender.
    We see a lot of players blending 10F150's with lower efficiency 10A125A's as well.

I would also look at a Weber version of the original CTS 10" AlNiCo's

12. rouss

rouss Member

Eminence RAJUN CAJUN . Best 10" American toned speaker out there . Totally kicks ass. And its over 100db sensitivity and tight bass. I absolutly luve em.

13. Bunky

Bunky Member

I think i'm leanign towards either Weber 10f150, or Eminence speakers. I've ehard that model of weber doesn't sound great played at low volumes.

14. Fenderosa

Fenderosa Member

I need to amend my comments about the Jensen C10Q speakers. The speakers work better with different guitars. I usually play a Strat on the treble pickup, but recently tried a Telecaster on the treble pickup, and the difference was astounding. The telecaster has more mids the amp sounded less strident than it does with my Strat. This difference isn't as noticeable when I play through Fender amps.

I think Fliptops recommends the Eminence Legend 105 for the VT40.

I am interested to hear what you think of your VT40 once you get it up and running. It is a much dirtier amp than I anticipated it would be.