Best Speakers for Blackface?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by krisharmony, Aug 13, 2008.

1. krisharmony

krisharmony Supporting Member

Thinking about switching from Marshall to Fender here soon and wanted to know what to load into my cab.

2. GearHeadFred

GearHeadFred Member

Oh boy - you'll get lots of opinions here!! What do you have in your cab now?? I see in your sig a JTM45... If you're running Celestions, you might want to try them with the Blackface.. That can be a nice combo!

3. krisharmony

Yeah I've got an Avatar 2x12 with a G12H and a Vintage 30. I was thinkin about getting a tweed Bassman and a blackface Bassman head to run through the Avatar but wasn't sure about the Celestion combination.

4. GearHeadFred

GearHeadFred Member

Funny.. I have a JTM45 and a BFSR, plus 2 Avatar cabs.. a 2x12 (closed back) with Eminence (gov/swamp), and a 4x10 (open) with WGS..

I like mixing and matching.. The JTM sounds great into the 2x12.. but so does the Super.. I make my choice based on the size of the room.. Small lively rooms get the 4x10.. larger rooms (and outdoors) get the 2x12.

You know that the JTM45 is almost the identical circuit to a tweed Bassman, right? You should be thinking Blackface if you're looking for additional tones.

5. AL30

AL30 Member

I really like the sound of a Fender through low wattage Celestions. You may want to hold out and try it before you fork over some cash for new speakers.

I have a friend who runs a BF Bandmaster through an Avatar with 2 Greenbacks. It sounds fantastic.

AL

6. krisharmony

Sounds like a setup I could get used to for sure!

Yeah I know about the JTM-Bassman connection. I actually bought the JTM because I liked the tone of the Bassman so much but didn't want to lug around a 4x10 combo. Unfortunately now I miss the tone of 10s and want finally give in to my Bassman needs. This way I can have a sweet pair of non-reverb Bassmen:BEER

7. Purplexi

Purplexi Member

90's U.K. Reissue Greenbacks. You can find them already loaded in Marshall AX, BX and TV4x12 cabs, generally available for around $680.

8. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

What's "best" for someone else may not be what's "best" for you. There are so many flavors out there...only your own ears will know when you find the right one's.

9. lukeII

lukeII Supporting Member

The one's that seem to be popular with boutique builders doing blackface inspired amps (Bruno, Carr, Fargen etc) seem to be the anniversary G12H30 or eminence wizard. I am not sure whether they use pine or birch cabs though (pine would seem the more logic choice for blackface tones).

10. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    I am Liking the red white and blues from emminence in my Allen Amp, On the 10's I prefer vintage Jensen C10's to Oxfords.

11. acoupland

acoupland Member

Fanes! It doesn't matter what the amp is, Fanes are the best choice ;)

And this is coming from someone who always 'chose american' when they could, until they heard Fanes+Blackface

12. sabby

sabby Member

I just found the magic of EVMs. I always wanted JBLs to sound the way EVs sound: smooth, broad, piano cleans with shimmer but no broken glass top end.