Best speakers for EarCandy BuzzBomb & Orange RV100

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Phineas, May 15, 2006.

1. Phineas

Phineas Member

Folks,

I'm looking for the best speakers to go with my new orange rockerverb 100 head. the cab will be an earcandy 2x12 buzzbomb. Right now i'll be leveraging most of the orange's drive tones but will definitely be using it's gorgeous clean tones for other projects that are imminent. Thus, ideally i'd like to have a cab that's versatile for good orange distortion (think smooth low midrange orange style gain. I like sabbath and stoner distortion and more) but that's good for clean tones at reasonable to loud volumes depending on the drummer etc.. Loudness is key too since i'll be foregoing 4x12s from now on.

Typically orange cabs run v30s and a lot of guys are mixing v30s w. g12h30s to smooth it out. Bc of Celestion's move to China I'm interested in the Eminence series. Particularly those that may resemble the v30 and the g12h30. I heard the Eminence Governors and Wizards are similar respectively.

Also interested in the man-o-wars. Tim from earcandy suggested going w. the swamp thang and tonker combo for clean headroom. I'm ok with this so long as it goes well w. the thick dark low midrangey distortion of the orange rv100. Can the 2 handle the distortion + clean?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Tks,
    P

2. Phineas

Phineas Member

3. Johnnythunders

Johnnythunders Member

I have a Rocker 50 but for me I like clean neautral speakers that are tight. Scholz does it for me, hard to find but worth it. Search on hear for some feedback, you can turn up all the way and they are tight. I think they are similar to EVs but hey I'm no expert. My other 2x12 has V30 Hellatones which are nice also with an Orange.

4. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

I got a Tonker and a Swampy in my Buzzbomb and I LOVE it! They handle the full spectrum of clean and since they stay clean for so long, you get a true amp distortion coming out instead of speaker breakup.

Tim is great and the Buzzbomb is easily the best non guitar I have ever bought. Enjoy!

5. cordroad

cordroad Member

+1 for Tim, he's super to work with, has patience out the wazoo.

6. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

I say if Tim says it, go with it! He's had a lot of experience with mixing speakers in his cabs and he can tell you what will work best for you. I'm going with a Swamp Thang and a Wizard in my "metal" cab and 2 Red, White and Blue speakers in my Fuchs ODS cab! Tim knows what he's doing, so I say go for the Tonker and Swamp Thang combo in your BuzzBomb! ;)

7. Phineas

Phineas Member

What amp are you using it with? How do you like your amp's distortion sound through the tonker and swamp? with the orange distortion leaning towards the low midrange do you think these speakers will represent the amp's true sound well?

P

8. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

I am using a Laney GH50L head through the Buzzbomb. The Laney (I think) has a great overdrive/distortion sound on it's own. I have recently pretty much left my pedals un-used because of it.

The Swampy and Tonker are like the same speaker, just covering different ends of the spectrum. Swamp Thing stays clean and handles low frequencies. Tonker stays clean and handles the higher frequencies. What you get IMO is a very well balanced tone coming out of your cab.

I chose these speakers myself, but Tim agreed 100%. I think for just about any application, this is an awesome setup.

9. Phineas

Phineas Member

ok guys thanks for the responses - i'm going to make the call to earcandy and have a talk with him a bit more and probably make my order right there depending on some other questions.

Wondering if anybody ever mix a wizard w. a govenor? wondering if that's a nice tone similar to the v30 + g12h30 combo.

10. humbert

humbert Member

I haven't got mine, but Tim suggested the Eminence Legend 121s. They are the core speaker of both the Swamp Thang and Tonker. Tonker is a hi-end improved 121, Swamp Thang is a low-end improved 121. For micing one speaker in a live situation, Tim suggested the 121s -- I'm a touring musician and don't have the luxury of showing the audience the melange of tones available from a mixed pair of speakers.

The nicest thing is that the 121s have a lower decibel rating than the other two -- sure, they're quieter -- but that means I just get to turn my Dual Showman up LOUDER! I couldn't get it past 5 in my 4x12 -- now I'm hoping to be able to crank up to 6 or 7 and start getting a little amp compression and overdrive.

11. Phineas

Phineas Member

Thanks for the input fellas. I see Tim has the Scholz's for sale now. $$$$ pricey - are they really worth it. Humbert - you brought up a great point about micing only one speaker in a live situation and the ability to crank it w. the 121s - power tube distorion is what i'm going for so that might be the best thing for me. I'll have to talk to him more about the pros & cons.

12. Phineas

Phineas Member

finally got the buzzbomb about 1 mo ago w. the wizard and governor but i got some huge cone cry issues - either that or it's subharmonics so i'm thinking i'm only going to stick w. speakers that are verified to not have that problem:

fanes, scholzes, g12ms. dunno yet - probably scholzes.

The tone of the wiz gov combo is to die for though. i just can't live w. cone cry so they're going.

13. jamison162

jamison162 Member

How do you audibly distinguish that cone cry effect?

14. Phineas

Phineas Member