Best splittable humbucker...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TooManyHobbies, Jun 26, 2008.

1. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

Still haven't decided on pickups for an H-S-H superstrat build I keep putting aside. Now its down to a traditional option, either Suhr's (SSH/FL?SSH+?) or Duncan's (JB/?/Alnico Pro II) or an alternative option.. either the new Lace Alumitones or an EMG 81TW/SA/89 combo.

My only fears with the Lace's and EMG's is how they will sound with my setups. I have a Strat Ultra with traditional lace's which I like and another custom build with Adder Plus's (Mel Lace, Don Lace's brother, from whom Don stole all the , don't get me started, I had to listen to Mel's side for several hours)... both sound amazing. I really have very limited experience with EMG's overall, especially in the past 10 years (though much hasn't changed).

I want pickups that split well and sound great.

2. R.D.

R.D. Member

If you're looking at Suhr .... I've heard the new Aldrich pickups split very VERY well, especially when combined with the FL middle pickup.

Not sure if un-split the'd be too hot for your taste or not though ?

3. pluto

pluto Member

The Suhr humbuckers are IMO the best hums that I've heard when split. I owned the dsh+, dsh, ssh+, dsv, dsv+, and the split sounds on those pickups were convincing (not quite single coil, but close enough).

4. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

That is one of my BIGGEST issues. Will they be TOO hot for me. I "usually" like hot pickups, but I feel that they "may" limit my dynamic range and cleans. I also lean towards Suhr, since John helped me via email through my first build MANY many years ago (10+, before there was a real 'net with all the good info), and the least I could do is give the guy my business.

5. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

Okay.. from someone who has owned so many of the suhrs.. your opinion is greatly appreciated. Did you have a "favorite" one? I was leaning towards the SSH+ on description alone.

6. pluto

pluto Member

For the bridge, I liked the DSV+ and for the neck, the DSV when split. I haven't tried the SSV+ and SSV, but those might work even better. The SSH+ is very hot, so when split, it might be too hot for what you're looking for.

7. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

And you feel that those are some of the best buckers of the bunch also?

8. pipedwho

pipedwho Member

For a splittable pickup combo, the Anderson H1 in the neck and a H2+ in the bridge is an awesome combination. These pickups don't seem to compress like regular 'buckers and work well for clean stuff too. The splits are much closer to single coils than regular PAF type structures due to the way the magnets are placed.

9. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

Care to explain that? I'm not that familar with the TA line.

10. pluto

pluto Member

I don't care for Anderson pickups split-it's a bit too sterile with not much character compared to the Suhr pickups IMHO.

11. pluto

pluto Member

Personally, I like the SSH+ in the bridge the most of all the suhr pickups, but for authentic split tones, the DSV+ sounds better. I'm sure the SSV+ would sound killer too, but I've never played it.

12. pipedwho

pipedwho Member

The H1/H2+ pickups have the magnets positioned between the coils as opposed to beneath the coils. This makes them sound different to other pickups, but especially different when split.

Whatever TAG has done with the winding/magnet combination really helps keep these pickups sounded a little clearer than offerings from Seymour Duncan or diMarzio. Some people say they lack 'character', because for hotter pickups, they don't add a huge amount of extra grind/noise when you hit the strings hard. IMO their character is just different from other HBs, and is the sound that I spend a long time looking for. They really bring out the guitars tone without adding too much of their own.

In the TAG pickup lineup, there are the HO series which are traditional 'buckers that sound more PAFish, and also the HN series which have neodymium magnets and a much 'clearer' mid emphasis.

The TAG humbucker pickups all seem to me to be in the 'modern' sounding camp. Some people don't like that and would rather a true PAF sound for their vintage sounding Les Paul. For this sound, none of the current TAG pickups really get there. Although, Tom has recently made some new pickups for the new CT Atom guitars, which are targetted for people looking for that vintage Les Paul sound.

IMO, the clearer sound that the H1/H2+ pickups achieve suits my style perfectly - which is a mix of clean and driven sounds from classic to harder rock.

13. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

I loved the tone that my old Chandler Parts "Super Strat" used to get with it's neck position Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro humbucker in split single coil mode.It sounded quite Strat like.

Ed

14. Blueser

Blueser Member

I have tried a ton of them, and for me it has been the Fralin Unbucker by a wide margin. It has a permanent place in the neck position of my McCarty. I have also heard great things about the Lollar Imperial Low Winds, but I have not played them.

15. wooldl

wooldl Member

I replace my McCarty pickups with a Rio Grande Texas/BBQ set and I think they split great. It's not as bright as my Tele, but it does a fine Strat imitation.

Like 'em, like 'em alot.

16. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

so just to be clear, no votes for emg, and none for lace.

I am leaning towards the suhrs... I "think" that unsplit I'd like the ssh+ better, but then... Hmmm...

17. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

I heard that Jason Lollar was working on a humbucker that was staggered so when you split it the output was the same as a single coil. I wonder if he is still working on this?

18. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I like Fralin's Unbuckers... a lot. Especially good sounding in "split" mode, IMO...

19. ed84246

ed84246 Member

The Duncan Custom/Custom splits very nicely. However, I found it's a fickle pickup in humbucker mode for higher gain applications. Great in a warmer, thicker, Les Paul like guitar, a little sour and thin with strats.

20. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

Also.. this is an ULTRALIGHT Strat (like picture 4-5lbs total). Hollow body, light swamp ash with a maple cap, and a figured maple neck with pau ferro board. It is rear routed.