Best SRV-in-a-box pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by arexjay, Feb 24, 2006.

1. arexjay

arexjay Member

I know he used two TS-808's, but I'm looking for an alternative to this route. I've heard someone say a MJM Blues Devil.

What other pedals will give me a good SRV OD sound?

P.S. I play a P-90 schecter and will soon be playing a MIM strat w/ CS '54 pickups into a Fender Deluxe RI.

2. rewog

rewog Member

G2D Cream Tone.

3. seanc

seanc Member

i was waiting for you to say that Greg! Hahaha. and i knew you would be the first to answer.

too funny mate.

4. rewog

rewog Member

haha - what can I say...it's SRV in a box.
    That's what they set out to design, and I think they nailed it.
    Damn.... I'm too predictable.

5. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

DAMN you...Rewog. You went and made me go look it up, find the manufacturer, and now I feel this g.a.s. starting to build up.

damn, damn, damn.

I haven't even listened to it yet in the clips, but it sounds like...damn, I want it. That solo boost is a great idea I've always wondered why folks didn't have that. I have a Jekyll & Hyde I like a LOT, but it's too hard to get it to be a boost/boost some more but keep the sound switchable.

Damn. Well...I can feel my wallet getting lighter already.

damn.

I gotta stop reading these threads.

6. drolling

drolling Member

Well, the MJM BluesDevil is thought by many to be the best TS808 clone around. That pedal in between a good strat and a blackface fender will certainly get you that particular SVR sound. But Stevie had so many sounds, there's probably many ways of approaching it from a gear standpoint.

But trying to copy his strong right hand technique's got me closer than any pedal will...

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

think muddy said one of the VStack pedals were instant SRV. think it was the BHM? do a search for his name and SRV, and it'll come up.

8. chrisgraff

chrisgraff Member

The closest thing I ever found "in a box" for SRV tone was a '64 Vibroverb D-130F JBL. It literally made my credit card fly out of my wallet!

Why I ever sold it...:jo

Python likes this.
  9. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Actually, SRV used a TS10 more than anything else....gain set low, level set high to overdrive his amps inputs. The TS10 is a real sleeper and is inexpensive on the used market.

10. rewog

rewog Member

Yeh... sorry about that, but I know just how you feel.
    The CreamTone does a very nice job, and the solo switch is a great idea. I think it could have had a bit more volume boost available - it's more of a tone fattener.
    Listen to the clip on the site. It's what the pedal really sounds like.
    BTW - I have seen a few CreamTones sold on the emporium here.
    :dude

11. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Supporting Member

:AOK +1 On the TS-10. More people should look for one of these first before spending big bucks on anything else. I think it stacks up well against my original TS-808. Mine has the JRC4558D chip as well. Remember, he used these as a boost, not much for their OD tone.

Personally, I don't think you can get an "SRV in a box", or any style/amp/player in a box for that matter. Too many other variables. But, if you want to sound like someone else, the best path is to search out what they used for gear and go from there. SRV used TS808/TS9/TS10's all at some point, just use your ears. Any strat w/ single coils into a TS type pedal into a fender amp will get you close.
    just my .02

12. JPenn

JPenn Member

Only problem with 10 series pedals is the switch can be kinda fragile. I used to use 2 TS' run into either a SF Twin or a SF Bandmaster Reverb/4x12 cab. The cheap Soundtank pedals (to me) had the best tone. It seemed to have more of the crunch tone coming thru and less of the clean signal. The 9's & 10's seem to work better for a boost and the 5 (Soundtank) seems to work better with a clean amp. Less clean signal and more of the crunch coming thru. I'd run the 9 or 10 first and the 5 second. If you flopped them it sounded COMPLETELY different.

13. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

+2 on the TS-10... & thanks to the bad press about it, which borders on the ridiculous, I got mine for pennies

14. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

All the TS808 clones sound similar. I personally think the MJM Blues Devil sounds the best and is the easiest to dial in. I own a Cream Tone and never approached it as sounding like a TS. I think the Cream Tone is beautifully voiced and designed and {unlike most TS808 clones} the tone control actually works. It's a fanatsic pedal / totally deserving of more kudos.The MI Blues Pro also doesn't sound like a traditional Tube Screamer, ditto for the Fulldrive. Love all those pedals but the characteristic bass loss, heavy mid and colored sound is what I tonally relate to a Tube Screamer pedal. If someone describes a TS808 clones as transparent then they don't have it turned on yet. The MJM Blues Devil pushes the envelope by adding clarity and minimizing the bass loss but still retaining the associated Stevie tone. The MJM is more versatile and has a great sweep on the gain stage; it can be dialed out to supply a fantastic clean boost w/just a little bit of hair around the notes. Pretty cool for blues playing.

15. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

I picked up a Blues Devil with the anologman silver mod on ebay and it does do the SRV trick, But so does my klon. Either one through my Maz jr. kill.:BEER

16. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

I had a TS-10 for around 2 years and I despised that pedal. For around the house I'd rather have used a Peavey Backstage Plus and on stage I hated the way it squashed everything having to do with my tone. If I wanted something that compressed, I'd rather have a Big Muff and do something different with the sound.

I understand the TS series isn't my bag- but for whatever its worth, my opinions on that particular pedal are relatively informed and I gave that pedal a long time to attempt let me warm up to it. It just wasn't happening.

17. Gordon_Gecko

Gordon_Gecko Member

The T-Rex Alberta does a fine job. It think it resembles a mock-up 808, or supposed to. It sounds incredible and gets no credence from the FX Boutique community.

Check it out!
    GG

18. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I got me one a dem....

It's got the SRV clean tones down .... but it barely breaks up at all. You need to push it with a pedal. My Red Snapper into the Vibroverb is dead nuts on to SRV's tones.....

19. kram21

kram21 Member

voodoo lab sparkle drive

20. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

SRV wasn't always about the Tube Screamers. He also dug the Fuzz Face, and used Diaz's units. To get that SRV tone, just use a good quality Fuzz Face clone and turn the volume of your guitar down to maybe 7.5 or so. (Incidentally, that's also the tone I nail with my Screw Driver pedal. Just sayin...)