Best stand alone digital multitrack........

major-minor

16 tracks would be nice. Built-in CD recorder. On board drums.

Most important---------dependable. Don't want the hassel of it not working right.

Thanks in advance.

Ephi82

I have had the Tascam 2488 for about 6 years now. I paid about $1,100 new, and you can get the newer generation now new for less than $700 I think.

I have not had one problem with mine, though it seems that early on it had a reputation for problems.

Great Things:

-24 Bit Recording, 24+ Tracks, (8 at one time) (It sounds incredible)
-Digital in and out (I can play back CDs bypassing on board pre amps and can send digital signal to my JBL Monitors, very sweet)
-On board CD burner (no MP3's for this old guy!)
-knobs and faders you can touch!
-Stereo Buss with Compressor/Expander for "lite Mastering"
-USB port to export wav files. You can track using the TASCAM and mix/master ITB

Not so Great:
-It does a lot and it takes time to learn to use it. The user documentation sucks. Thank god for forum!
-Digital Editing (plenty of capability but not user friendly like a pc based platform)(Not a biggie for me because I still record like its tape, but I LOVE the ability to to undo edits/takes/masters etc)
-info screen is too small, why no output to drive an external monitor?
-on board effects are kind of cheesy, but OK for the money. The reverbs and delays are clean, the compressor and multi effects are barely so so
-faders are short throw and not very good for fading out in a master mix

For an "analog" guy, this was a great way to go digital

Ephi82

I forgot an important thing.

It does have an on board midi sound generator

Be careful because I think the newer generation eliminated it? Not sure.

I hook up a midi keyboard to it and get some nice piano and organ sounds. Obviously, you could program drums, but I have a set of Roland V drums so I've never used this part of the system.

madstrat

yammy aw1600 here...

similar features as the tascam...about a $1k new;

i went with yamaha because their products always delivered for me-

learning curve is typical of these machines

the drums are not the greatest...i think a stand alone unit works better

mindseye

I have a Korg D3200 that i love and the reason i went with it was because it was the only one i could find that would let you track 12 inputs at once, That was a biggie for me!
It has a drum secttion on it but never have used it so cant comment on that.

major-minor

Heard good things about Korg and Yamaha.

So what about the Boss BR 1600? (Or 1200 ?) How would it compare?

lespaulreedsmith

Silver Supporting Member
Heard good things about Korg and Yamaha.

So what about the Boss BR 1600? (Or 1200 ?) How would it compare?
For serious stuff I use my Mac and rack gear, tube preamps, etc. I have owned a Korg D1600 MK1 and the blue colored MK2 (I guess that's what they call them) and I really, really like them but they weren't quite as portable as I wished. Then about 3 years ago I bought a Boss BR-900CD and really liked it. Has drum machine, cosm guitar and bass sounds from the Boss pedals, saves on compact flash and burns cd's. I sold it thinking I was gonna strictly do things on my Mac so I had no need.
Guess what? I missed the Boss unit enough that I found a like new one on ebaY for $230 and she's back... Built in condensor mic like the BR600 (only mono) and the thing can really put out some semi-pro quality sounding stuff believe it or not... seriously. And even though they are all plastic chassis, the BR900 and up just feel a little more substantial than the BR600 (though it is extremely portable).
I've been doing this since 1981 (fulltime since 1998) and it says alot if I repurchase something (for me anyways...).
Give the Boss stuff a look. For demo's or songwriting they rock.
Oh, and if you want the Boss's big brother on steroids and pro quality?
Roland VS-2480 (even has a vga monitor out)... but it's got a pretty big footprint but the prices have dropped drastically on that unit (and older VS models like 1680 and the 1824). And again, remember the Korg D1600's... very nice as well. I owned some Yamaha's as well and like those too! Yep, I've owned pretty much everything except Fostex...
Never wanted a Fostex for some reason... Sorry for the long post:horse

buddaman71

Student of Life
Gold Supporting Member
I have recorded several complete CDs on my loaded Roland VS2480s and they have been absolutely rock-solid, incredibly fast to work with and FEEL very much like a PC-based DAW with an added monitor and mouse. 16 tracks at once recording is a breeze. I don't really think it has any direct competition other than the Akai, which sounded really good, but were notoriously unreliable when I was at Sweetwater.

Literally all you need to complete projects start to finish with the 2480 is the unit (with CDR), some decent mics and a pair of powered monitors. I really even liked the Roland powered monitors with the digital input.

EL34

Gold Supporting Member
+1000. I have owned a VS2480 since 2002, and have yet to find something that works better for me. I've dabbled in DAW's/PC's, but I keep coming back to the Roland unit......probably because I like real faders and controls rather than virtual ones. And the sound quality is fairly good as well.

major-minor

Thanks guys.

I got a feeling that VS2480 may be alittle out of my league. I want to keep the learning curve fairly simple. Just put down some stuff. Get a good mix and burn it to a CD.

If I ever wanted to do something with it------I'd probably take it to someone who knows alot more than me about recording.

Trending Topics