Best Stand for an Electric Guitar

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by RYAN1987M, Apr 25, 2015.

1. RYAN1987M

RYAN1987M Supporting Member

Hello All,

I'm looking for some advice, I'm hoping to upgrade my current guitar stand situation and I'm torn between two types of models - hang stands vs. the more conventional style.

Hang Stands

Hercules GS412B -
    http://www.herculesstands.com/guitars/GS412B.html

Yorkville GS-205B -
    http://accessories.yorkville.com/stands_accessories/guitar/stands/product/gs-205b/

Conventional Stand

Hercules GS414B -
    http://www.herculesstands.com/guitars/GS414B.html

Yorkville GS-204B -
    http://accessories.yorkville.com/stands_accessories/guitar/stands/product/gs-204b/

I'm leaning towards one of the hang stands (GS412B or GS-205B) - though I can't really explain why. Which option would you choose?

Additionally, at least here in Canada, the Yorkville options are about half the cost of the Hercules ones - so, in that case, should I go with the name brand or should I give Yorkville a try?

Anyhow, I'm really torn here - any advice would be much appreciated!

Ryan

2. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Hercules single or rack. Not the triple tripod.

3. stevel

stevel Member

This is what I've used for years:

http://www.ultimatesupport.com/product/GS-100

Why? Because once, at a gig, the other guitar player in my band had one. An over exuberant dancer knocked into it. It teetered left, teetered right, teetered front, teetered back, and never fell over! The reason was, since the weight of the guitar is close to the floor, the center of gravity is low, and when it swings out, it tends to want to center itself back, like a pendulum.

Now, I gig with mine regularly. It's easily collapsible, and quick to set up. The other thing, for me is, I have to pick up and set my guitar down in shows, and I need something that I don't have to fuss with. When I set it in the yoke, I know it's secure. Maybe the only thing I don't like is when I go to pick it up, the rubber on the yoke is grippy, and the yoke tends to raise up a bit if I pick up on the guitar. Not a bad thing because you don't want it slipping (!) but it just means I have to pull it out straight.

The body of the guitar rests against the foam on the lower legs.

I have two and have been using them for well over 15 years. I've seen some people break the twist lock thing but if you take even a decent amount of care with them, they should last you forever.

4. 59Bassman

59Bassman Plank Cranker Silver Supporting Member

I'm a fan of the Ultimate. I have 2 of them. I think mine are the equivalent to the current GS-100's.

5. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Member

A big +1 on the GS100. This is the most stable stand I've ever encountered. And it folds flat.

6. Irreverent

Irreverent Silver Supporting Member

Hercules 414. Every gig. Two in my studio.

Peace.

7. Glitch Magnet

Glitch Magnet Member

The Hercules GS414B ought to be just as stable as the Ultimate. It's appears to be the same base design. I'll give advantage to the Hercules though, at any cost. Their Auto Grip System yoke is simply genius.

I wouldn't call the 414 "conventional" It's still a "hang stand." It's just that the guitar body rests against the padded legs.

8. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Ultimate is a good stand, but if the user does not ensure the plastic lock wheel is secure, the legs can fold up. The gripping yoke also is not the smoothest as compared to the Hercules. Ultimate does fold more compact.

9. fossilfuel

fossilfuel dismember

All my stands are Hercules.

I have a few of the little fold up type, one stays in the gig bag. Very stable.

I also have one of the neck hangers and a five rack, great products.

10. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Member

Herc just for the auto grip feature.

I have the triple. What's wrong with it?

11. o0Ampy0o

o0Ampy0o Member

Hercules 414 especially if the guitar finish is nitro.

12. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

I have a Hercules 414 and a 415B, both great stands and do the same thing, the 415B packs a little smaller, only real difference.

I also have a 402B, which is a lot sturdier than you may think. Good for in the home but I wouldn't gig with it.

But yeah, for individual stands, Hercules are the best. I still want one of the tweed Fender rack stands though!

13. Raymond Lin

Raymond Lin Member

Hercules at home and I keep one of these Cooper stand in the case.

[​IMG]

14. SackvilleDan

SackvilleDan Member

Hercules GS412B is my favorite out of all the options you listed. I like that they're nice and tall - I can hang my Explorer or an acoustic with a straight 1/4" plugged in the endpin and not have to worry about hitting the floor. They're also very secure.

15. scmavl

scmavl Enjoyer Silver Supporting Member

Do the Hercules stands interact with nitro? I'm tired of having to cover my stands with cloth so my guitars won't have "burn marks" all over them, like my trusty old '92 LP got when I didn't know any better.

16. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member