Best Star Trek TV Series

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by rschultz13, May 1, 2015.

1. rschultz13

rschultz13 Supporting Member

Best Star Trek TV Series

… this ought to be fun.

2. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

The first season and and a half of TOS and Seasons 3-5 of TNG, followed by seasons 4-7 of DS9.

3. cortez42

cortez42 Member

Can't beat TNG. Second would be voyager followed by DS9. Enterprise was good, hated the ending though.

Honestly the original was rough for me to get through, episodes were very hit or miss. Mostly watched it for the nostalgia factor, I guess.

4. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

Rewatched these all recently. It's amazing how some held up and some did not. In my order:
    DS9
    TOS
    Voyage/STTNG tie
    Enterprise

TOS had the best original characters, followed by some on STTNG. DS9 had the best writing, plots and storylines. TOS had a few great ones as well. Voyager was hampered by total lack of growth and end of episode reset button. It had the most wasted potential.
    Surprising how silly the acting and story was on STTNG, especially early on.

5. TwoTubMan

TwoTubMan Member

TNG, minus season one and all Troi and Dr. Crusher episodes.

6. rschultz13

rschultz13 Supporting Member

Voyager was great, and still is great. My winner.
    STTNG was great a the time, but now it's a little hard to watch.

The other 3 don't really compare to the above two.

7. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

TOS hands down. Never liked the rest.

8. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

TOS...James Tiberius Kirk and green skinned chicks...c'mon, you know you want one.

9. Bozak

Bozak Member

Well, TOS is the best for style, and Spock is the greatest of all characters, I just can't bring myself to pick TNG even though it was the superior Sci-fi series in many ways.

The others were not even an option.

TOS.

10. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Different ones for different purposes.

Social commentary and imagination - TOG

Actual acting (juxtaposed with terrible acting) plus philosophical exploration - TNG

Enterprise - Scott Bacula. Hilarious.

DS9- soap opera

Voyager - watched every episode as it released. Meh.

11. GuitarPlaynTaylor

GuitarPlaynTaylor Member

I feel like all of the star trek series have killer episodes and lackluster ones. I love most of enterprise except the ending. But TNG has to be the peak of star trekdom for me

12. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

I watched and liked them all, from the very first series when it first ran in the '60's. I'm a HUGE trekkie. Tough call for me. I voted for Voyager because I really liked the character development once they got past the first couple of seasons.

13. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

In order of how I like them...

TOS - A huge influence on mobile technology plus making it harder to patent some ideas. The social commentary was a bit heavy handed from time to time. Some really bad and cheesy episodes.

TNG - A few really good episodes that were superior to any TOS episode but there were many more filler episodes and stinkers. Social commentary tended to be more ham-handed

DS9 - Good at first but strong episodes became few and far between after the second season.

Voyager - Deus ex machina to the extreme. The writers wrote themselves into a corner often only to come up with a clumsy way to solve the problem in the last 5 minutes of the show.

Enterprise - unwatchable for the most part. A smattering of decent episodes with a lame story arc.

14. Oncaster

Oncaster Member

I could've personally done without the killer holodeck episodes. To this day I don't know why they couldn't just shut the power off? I guess that wouldn't make good television.

15. RayBarbeeMusic

RayBarbeeMusic Member

The original, some of DS9, and some of Enterprise.

TNG was awful PC touchy feely mush. I was so disappointed in that series when it came out. A 'counselor on the bridge? Kirk would have red shirted her ass the second episode. The "Generations" movie summed up that whole thing for me. As usual, Picard tries to weasel his way out of things, and they had to bring Kirk back from the dead to personally kick the bad guy's ass. That is TOS vs. TNG in a nut shell.

A lot of DS9 was better. The captain had a pair. It was less annoyingly PC, more diverse, took more plot chances.

I mean, if you got in a bar fight, who would you want backing you up? Kirk and Sisko, or Picard and Troy? Who would you follow into battle? I rest my case.

Voyager? Meh. With Janeway constantly deciding to PC her way across the universe instead of taking the most expeditious way back, the crew would have shown her the air lock by the 3rd week.

A lot of fans I know didn't even know Enterprise existed. It was not promoted well, and I think that is what killed it. I liked it. They weren't the all powerful federation, they were people trying to figure things out, going out and making mistakes, getting their butts kicked, adjusting and learning from it. That made it a lot more like TOS than TNG and it's spin offs. I also liked the subtleties of the way Jolene Blalock played a Vulcan. A lot of other actors/actresses kind of came off like "human with pointy ears". She didn't, she had these weird reactions and mannerisms that made the whole "ok this looks human but it isn't, it's an alien and they look at things differently" thing come off well.

16. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

Mal and Zoe. :dude

17. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Spock...

18. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

19. ChurchChong

ChurchChong Member

hard to beat a unicorn doggy
    [​IMG]

20. wyatt

wyatt Member

The original series was true science fiction, so many impossible (sometimes ridiculous) situations. If you were to pick up any great 20th century science fiction writer, you'll see the similarities.

All the rest were just "space operas," adventure series set in space. That doesn't make them any less fun, but...aside from Q...there is very little actual science fiction involved.