Best Stereo image in a Reverb device?

GusFowler

Still trying to get my stereo rig perfected. It’s an Ampeg VH140C solid state 70w-per-channel amp with a 212 cab for each side. I run parallel preamp outs and power amp ins as stereo effects loop at line level, with fuzz and treble boosts going into the front end of the amp in mono. Eventide Modulator has Stereo ins and outs but my experiment with two parallel Talisman plate reverbs was disappointing as dual mono doesn’t make a stereo ‘soundstage’ image. I swapped speaker cabs to come up with a pair that are a rough match in volume and drivers. Still not feeling the true stereo image, wondering which stereo reverb device will yield the most spacious stereo soundstage.
Looking at Boss RV-500, EQD Avalanche Run, Source Audio Collider, Neunaber, Strymon, etc.
Users of stereo reverb, what is your experience? The goal here is a convincing stereo spatial presence.

Pellecaster

I love both my Neunaber Immerse Mk I and II, great stereo field and I use both with a w/d/w rig. I also have a Digitech Polara on a board and I think it sounds pretty great in its own way, they are Lexicon reverbs inside there.

The problem may not be with your effects. It may be with the speaker spread.
See if you can move the two speakers further apart from each other in the room. This, of course, requires you to have two separate speaker cabs. Which, if I understand your post, you have.

Last edited:

coltonius

Señor Member
Silver Supporting Member
The Avalanche Run is a good/fun pedal, but its stereo image is far from the best. Believe it or not, the TC Electronic reverbs excel at stereo imaging- they swirl, swoosh, and flow from Left to Right in a very pleasing way.

Also, I second the idea of creating space between L & R- otherwise hearing the stereo movement is going to be difficult.

GusFowler

The problem may not be with your effects. It may be with the speaker spread.
See if you can move the two speakers further apart from each other in the room. This, of course, requires you to have two separate speaker cabs. Which, if I understand your post, you have.
I just lack floor space in my crappy garage! Have to stack junk higher to make room.

Nuenaber Immerse has amazing depth and dimension. Can't say for sure that it'd work with your rig, but it's pretty remarkable.
Listen to the demos at least.

Ditto for TC Electronics - they have been doing great reverbs for 20+ years, they are good at it. Lexicon rack stuff can be amazing too.

Phopper

Because...?
LOL. He ain't answering such a specific question. But if he does it will be in response to my post and not yours. Except now that I said that, he's gonna quote both of us.
Wait... Shoot, no. He read all that and decided it's best not to respond at all, just as I initially thought.

04andrew22

Supporting Member
Because...?
LOL. He ain't answering such a specific question. But if he does it will be in response to my post and not yours. Except now that I said that, he's gonna quote both of us.
Wait... Shoot, no. He read all that and decided it's best not to respond at all, just as I initially thought.
Hi :wave

Apologies for my incredibly low-effort post. I had the Mercury7 for a relatively short while and didn't ultimately bond with it, but what I can say (and what everyone is saying about it if you read about it or watch any reviews) is that it along with the Polymoon from Meris are 2 of the absolute greatest stereo pedals out there right now for the insanely expansive stereo field they're able to create. I just don't run stereo enough to justify keeping it for that reason but for someone like OP who wants the a true stereo reverb with a wide stereo field I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. If you're not convinced, check this review by Mark Johnston on youtube -- he can talk about it a lot better than I can.

cbm

Silver Supporting Member
Lexicon PCM81 has lovely movement in its verbs, plus it has great delays, rotary, chorus, etc. (or PCM91, if you really only want verb).

The Neunaber Wet was seemingly inspired by this era Lexicon.

GusFowler

Hi :wave

Apologies for my incredibly low-effort post. I had the Mercury7 for a relatively short while and didn't ultimately bond with it, but what I can say (and what everyone is saying about it if you read about it or watch any reviews) is that it along with the Polymoon from Meris are 2 of the absolute greatest stereo pedals out there right now for the insanely expansive stereo field they're able to create. I just don't run stereo enough to justify keeping it for that reason but for someone like OP who wants the a true stereo reverb with a wide stereo field I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. If you're not convinced, check this review by Mark Johnston on youtube -- he can talk about it a lot better than I can.

The Neunaber Expanse (formerly Slate) has the same quality stereo image, I take it?

Kennyscrown

I think I responded to your previous post about pretty much this.

I’ve had the Blue Sky, stereo wet, Flint, Zoom ms70 CDR, and I now use a Ventris.

The Flint, Blue Sky, Wet and Ventris all have great stereo images - you won’t go wrong with any of them. For simplicity, Flint. For everything else, Ventris.

Phopper

Best I've used are GFI Specular Tempus and BigSky. I didn't have my board set up stereo when I used the M7 but I didn't like the overall tone of that pedal all that much.

pcs9527

Meris Mercury7 is fantastic in stereo, as is GFI Specular V3. If you don't need delays, no real need for the Tempus, regular Specular3 is cheaper and covers a lot of ground; the standard reverb setting is very versatile. Neunaber Immerse MKII is also great in stereo.
I have not owned the Ventris so can't comment on that one.

Trending Topics