Best stores in Austin?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by thefacelessnate, Jan 29, 2008.

1. thefacelessnate

thefacelessnate Member

Hey guys... this might be the wrong board for this, but the wife and I are heading to Austin, this summer... I am so excited to get out there. I just wanted to know from any Austinonians the best stores to check out that sell good guitars and great gear. We'll be going back soon to check up on our house. We are technically more in the Round Rock area, but still... Thanks for any help. You can just send a PM if you'd like!

2. bobgoblin

bobgoblin Supporting Member

I like Austin Vintage Guitar, right around the corner from Ray Hennig's Heart of Texas Music, on S. Lamar. There's a Music Maker's on Lamar, too, as well as South Austin Guitars.

3. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

Guitar Rez.

Ask for my buddy Michael.

4. BarnabyHooge

BarnabyHooge Member

+1 for Austin Vintage. Great guitar and amp selection.

5. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

I don't care for Heart of Texas Music, but I'll definitely ++++1 on Austin Vintage Guitars and South Austin Music (South Austin Guitars?) Music Makers is 3rd in my book followed by Guitar Resurrection. The reason I don't care too much for Guitar Resurrection is cause they can be uppity at times, they've got the best boutique selection, however if that's what you're after.

6. Jason Lynn

Jason Lynn Member

You'll be just north of me. Guitar Rez is the closest and they have some nice boutique stuff. I really liked the vibe of Austin Vintage Guitars the time I was in there though and they also make some killer amps. Be sure to check out the fullton Web amps while your in there!

7. CentralScrutini

CentralScrutini Member

South Austin Music is my go to place. Heart of Texas is alright, but more of a Guitar Center type place minus the brainless 16 year old pimply salesmen.

I don't go into Austin Vintage Guitars usually. Its just too tempting. :eek:

Also be sure to hit up the Cash America pawn near Barton Springs. They've got a nice music room loaded with toys.

All of these places are within 5 minutes of each other on South Lamar. Heaven. :BEER

8. R Morrow

R Morrow Member

Guitar Rez (off of North Lamar on Morrow St.), Austin Vintage Guitars (on South Lamar), and South Austin Music (on South Lamar) would be my choices.

9. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

I think that about covers it.

10. CentralScrutini

CentralScrutini Member

Simplicity is bliss. :BEER

11. C-Dawg

C-Dawg Member

I CAN'T STAND Guitar Resurrection. They have a great selection of stuff, but they are a bunch of dicks (let me say that I haven't been there in a few years, so they may have gotten rid of the shity employees). But man, that place was just filled with a bunch shitheads who wouldn't even piss on you if you were on fire...

12. motis1953

motis1953 Member

When I was there years ago Mark Erlewine had a small but nice shop. It could have been Dan but I think he's up north. I met Kent Dykes (OMAR) in Ray Hennig's music store and he was a real pleasant fellow.

13. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

That's my buddy Michael.

I've worked with him in music retail before. He knows his stuff and he's pretty knowledgeable about gear and tone. He specializes more into Hi-Gain (vintage hi-gain), like Doug Aldrich stuff. He digs on LPs and Cameron stuff.

He's really cool and it's all about the gear with him. He should be a great goto if you just need some help. It isn't commission based so you shouldn't worry about the whole salesman hard sale.

Don't expect deals though because only the owner, Jim has the say so and he's is probably the reasons there is a negative vibe there. Let's just say he's very proud of his stuff, but its nice stuff though.

My first visits there were bad and I got snubbed and stereo-typed (way before Michael worked there). I was young looking and dressed it too, I guess i wasn't taking seriously. But the tables turned a few years ago, when I walked in one day just to try out some stuff and I brought in my guitars. I pulled out my R9 and killer CU22 and suddenly the vibe changed. I had the key to the store basically. Not really looking for anything then but really trying to put an actual sound to the reviews I read here on TGP, with amps like Bogner, Bad Cat, Dr. Z, ect... No dealers for booteeks in my city. I did a sweep on everything in the amp room and wasn't really taken by anything until I got to this unique looking amp that i haven't heard anything about. So, I figured might as well try it. I plugged in and was immediately blown away! The amp's voice and feel worked perfectly for my taste and style. Everything was great and I couldn't get a bad tone. I had to have it! I broke down and bought it right there not planning on buying an amp. i couldn't get a deal, so I paid full pop which I almost never do, but I had to have "that" amp, and I mean the actual one I played. So, the money wasn't a huge concern at that point, because the tone was there.

Well, I won't drag this on anymore...they know my name now.
    And,
    That amp, was a 65amps 65 London w/ 2x12 cab. Probably my best experience buying a piece of gear. No reviews, no looking up on forums, a very new company at the time, no one really new about them. Just straight up blind test run!

14. guitarcec

guitarcec Member

Sedley was my guy there, and he went to work as a roofer or something recently. he worked Jim as hard as he could (which isn't much) for good deals. of course it helps that i bought stuff there, and brought friends who bought stuff. now that Sedley's gone, the only guy i ever talk to is Dave (who does all their repair and setup work). he's a nice guy, and treats people right. the two old guys (Jim, the owner, and another guy) are real dicks, though. i've never had a pleasant experience with them once. what a great selection of gear, though...

15. E Baxter Put

E Baxter Put Member

Yeah... they were kind of asses to me when I first went to guitar rez, but after I bought some stuff and they recognized me, they started treated me with a bit of respect.

They also called my vintage stratotone a "junk" guitar. But after I plugged it in they couldn't believe how good it sounded.

But oh well... I think they just don't like tire kickers there.

Austin Vintage is my favorite shop in Austin. I've never had a problem playing gear there, the prices are good, they like "junk" guitars, and they are honest. They also have a good pedal selection.

16. guitarcec

guitarcec Member

yeah, i'm a big fan of South Austin Vintage, too. you never know what you're gonna find in there. they also have a great selection of vintage acoustics to go with their electrics, effects, and amps. great store...

17. jbryant3

jbryant3 Member

It's too bad about the rap that Rez gets but it is sadly sometimes true. I've known Jim for many years and we get along but I've heard the same from many customers of his. Dave is a great guy there and very friendly. Scruffy beard and bushy hair. Another place if you're shopping acoustics is Quincys at Riverside and Congress. Pat carries high end acoustics like Goodall, Collings, etc. in a very cool atmosphere. If you're in town next Thursday the 7th he has a gathering called BYOG. (Bring your own guitar) that's a lot of fun. Free wine and food provided. Otherwise ++ on Austin Vintage and Rez for selection.

Jim B.

18. Reyybarra

Reyybarra Supporting Member

Austin vintage kicks butt. they just finished my Fulton Webb and dood, if you get to that place check out their amps, ROCK and ROLL man. check out the textosterone as well its a pedal that they make there.

rey

19. C-Dawg

C-Dawg Member

Also, Austin Vintage Guitars is a kickass store. Thats where I shop for stuff when I go down there.

20. R Morrow

R Morrow Member

If you need your guitar set up "right", have Dave at Guitar Rez work on it. My guitars have never played so well. Guitar Rez prices are relatively high, but the quality and service are always there.