Best strap locks?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by LuckyBystander, Feb 15, 2009.

1. LuckyBystander

LuckyBystander Member

I've been using these black plastic Jim Dunlop strap locks, but I'm sure you more experienced guitarists can point me in the direction of your favorite strap locks!

Many thanks in advance.

2. Birddog

Birddog Member

I use the metal Dunlop's on all of my guitars. Nice to have the straps be interchangeable, too.

You'll now hear that these are probably the LEAST favorite on this board, but I like 'em and have never had one fail.

3. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    Get the Schaller guitar strap locks. Unlike the Dunlop StrapLok system, where is you get a false positive engagement and your guitar can fall, the Schaller's design utilizes a cup that holds the guitar,even if the unit is not engaged.

TheGrooveking

4. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

I have the dunlop ones with the push button release. I like them a lot. I used to own a Brawley with the strap locks recessed into the guitar. I liked this the best, because it seems to be very sturdy. When installing normally, be careful that the screws you use are in there really good. Every time I change strings, I go over the guitar with a screwdriver tightening things up. I make sure I check the straplocks when I do this. The bottom pin seems to come loose every once and a while.

dk

5. Steve73

Steve73 Member

The best I have tried have been the Schaller's.

6. NeilYoungFan

NeilYoungFan Supporting Member

+1 on the Schallers. Have them on both my Les Pauls. Very happy with'em.

7. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Member

I use the orange rubber things from beer bottles.
    best cheapest solution yet if you dont want to mod a classic
    [​IMG]

8. Stormbringer

Stormbringer Member

I had the dunlop ones in a LP and a new Schaller on the Strat and both are fine, have never failed me. There are the new Planet waves which seem nice too.

9. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

Another vote for the Schallers. I honestly haven't purchased any other brand but I've used the Schallers for years without a problem. And a good trick for the butt end of a Les Paul is to throw a piece of toothpick and a bit of wood glue in with the screw if its not large enough for the hole.

10. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I used Schallers for years but always had issues wiht them squeeking (which at points could be heard throught the amp and really sucked) plus they started leaving grease on everything from pants and shirts and even the straps from time to time and I had just had it so I switched to the really old school leather style wiht the flap that goes over the strap...looks kind of chees to some guys but they are not noisy, don't leave grease on my stuff and don't have any buttons, rollers, latches or crap that can break...if you can use a plain strap with no locks you can use these strap locks!

All that said I do have one guitar, my Cleveland Broadcaster that I didn't want to put locks on so I use the older Dunlop round black twist style locks that work with your strap button.

11. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

+1
    And they come with 2 tasty beers!

As used by countless . . . including Joe Strummer and Nels Cline.

12. BillyJoeJimBob

BillyJoeJimBob Member

I've always been partial to the 13 cents of duct tape holding a 30 dollar strap on to a 2000 dollar guitar look myself. ;-)

In 20+ years of using only Schallers, I've found they have a failure mode when they get real tuckered out: the stopper on the little pull-pin breaks resulting in even *more* positive engagement with the strap button. It's harder to remove when that happens but you can continue to use them.

I haven't heard of the other ones failing so they're probably fine. My buddy did drop an ax using the ones that are like backpacking clips that are always attached to the guitar. He had a piece of clothing stuck in there and it didn't make positive engagement. I'll call that user error.

13. BillyJoeJimBob

BillyJoeJimBob Member

Yeap, forgot about that one. The Schallers do tend to squeek especially after they get worn. Never been problem for me and have never had any grease in there either. But it's a fair criticism.

14. MjCartney

MjCartney Neo-Maxi Zoom Dweebie Silver Supporting Member

Schallers. Nothing else even comes close, and they're stock on a Ric.

15. fendergeek

fendergeek Member

:agree

16. Soporific

Soporific Member

I just bought these myself for a bass, do you know if the clips start to wear out?

Thanks,

~S

17. geetarman

geetarman Member

+1 on the Schallers got them on four of my guitars.

18. cram

cram Member

schallers.
    the strat I had came with the same hooks/knobs for those so I got those. I then put the same ones on two other guitars and keep three straps with those on.
    metal and simple.

19. thilton59

thilton59 Member

I just use washers on all mine. It works.

20. jazzguitar

jazzguitar Supporting Member

As a gigging musician I've had the Schallers fail on more than one occasion. Years ago I switched to Dunlop and haven't had a problem since.