Best strat pickups for BLUES

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by arexjay, Feb 18, 2006.

1. arexjay

arexjay Member

I know there's already another thread about strat pickups, but I didn't wanna hijack it and ask about blues, so I figured I'd start a new one.

My strat will be a 62 MIJ reissue, daphne blue with a white pearl pickguard.

I play through a TB'd Vox wah, SCOD, Fulldrive 2, Boss OD-3, some modulation pedals, all into a Fender Blues Deluxe.

I dig SRV style blues, and that's the kind of sound I'm going for with my strat. Already got the heavy strings! :)

edit: Could you also specify why you like the pickups? What they do well/don't do well? Thanks!

2. rewog

rewog Member

The Fender Custom Shop Custom 69's are really nice.

3. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

The 69's are super nice for the low output vintage Strat thing.

I like Rio Grande Muy Grandes. Theey are very different from the 69's tho. The will hit your amp like a brick if you want but they still sound like a strat. Very cool IMO

4. Wooley

Wooley Member

I use Fender Custom Shop Fat 50s and I can tell you they are the bomb for Hendrix AND Blues.

5. modoc

modoc Guest

Suhr V60LP's :) Nutin' Betta

6. webb

webb Member

Check out Stephens Design pickups, He's at SDpickups.com
    Listen to clips on his site. Then talk to him about the sound you are looking for. He made an amazing set of strat pickups for me, he really gave me what I asked him for. Great sounding pickup.
    Have fun on your search.

7. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

Give Jason Lollar a call!

8. blueprint

blueprint Member

9. zoemunchkinpro

zoemunchkinpro Member

I use the Texas Specials.... but if you dig SRV you need to really get into listening to the aspects and nuances of how he plays...cause you could play through his exact setup and not get his tone or sound... cause the number one factor was Stevie's heart and soul and that flowed through him and out his hands... and that is the bottom line ...if you can't get in touch with that all the gear in the world ain't gonna get ya there... good luck...ya got to feel it...

10. arexjay

arexjay Member

11. tim gueguen

tim gueguen Member

Use the existing pickups. Thats what a "real" bluesman would do.

12. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

A big +1 on that! My favorite of the Fender line. Surprising output...the proverbial 'iron fist in a silk glove'.

13. jetlag

jetlag Member

+1 for Stephens Design strat pickups. Dave is great about listening to what you want and winding 'em up accordingly. Plus you get one free rewind if something doesn't work out. For what I want, his Mojo V's are great sounding.

14. jgyn

jgyn Member

I had some Van Zandts in a Strat that sounded pretty bluesy.

15. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

Van Zandt Vintage Plus are very bluesy sounding. as are the Fralin Blues Specials and SD Antiquity Texas Hots.

also consider Wagner SR's, Lollars, and JM Rolphs

16. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

fralin blues, but the real thing is to work to match your guitar's intrinsic tone with a nice tube amp, the pickups only add depth to an already matched tone...for big big improvements in tone upgrade your string gauges to 10s then to 11s w/ proper neck adjustments by a pro tech. You'll be amazed at how even stock pickups respond to more string...remember to adjust the pickup height so there is no unwanted pull which can affect intonation and also sound like warbling or ghosting and can be interpreted as an amp problem...if 10s are your bag, up the guage of the last E string (high E) to thicken up leads and make your guitar feel quite different, almost like your hands know where the the strings are at all times...get a tube amp that is of sufficient wattage that you can crank in a club setting, say 18-22 watts, max it out to where it is breaking up but not flubby and control the volume from the guitar...have fun...

a few no gos- Lace sensors and fender noisless are lifeless...EMGs dont work either for blues...blues tone is killed by heavy clamping locking tuners, get rid of them if you have them - they take away all the sustain that you worked so hard to get by the piickup swap...if you have to go with a set and have a tube amp, then go with lower output pickups, you'll get more natural and dynamic tones by cranking the amp as compared to higher output (overwound) pickups...rambling now but you get the ideas...have a good one-

17. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

Good stuff, dewman.!!!
    +1

18. JPenn

JPenn Member

That's sounds great, until you see a guy getting fantastic tone with'em!!:D

I just happened upon a show on PBS the other night on boogie woogie piano. There was a woman (can't remember her name) and when she brought out her band she said the g-tar player's name was Rick (can't remember his last name) from Nashville. He was playing a beat up 62 reissue Strat (with a non vintage style bridge) with either Lace Sensors or EMGs thru a small pedalboard w/ a Fulldrive into a Reverend Hellhound combo. He had a great straight blues tone.

19. straightblues

straightblues Member

I love my Lollar Black Face strat pickups. They are clean pickups with that sparkel and grind that Stevie seems to get without sounding too modern or hi fi like some of the new pickups do.

20. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

Having played just about everything mentioned here(except Stephens) and playing in a geezer blues band I can tell you that you can make any of them work. A good compromise and not too expensive is the Fat 50's for sure.
    What ever you end up with play with the height a little. Use the heaviest strings you can. A good compromise set is a 10-52.
    Most people really focus on the heavy high E and B strings but if you listen to SRV the low strings really are big and clear sounding.
    I'm using 11-52 most of the time and we tune down to E'b.
    Good luck