Best Strat Pickups for The Edge tones?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jcshirke, Mar 4, 2008.

1. jcshirke

jcshirke Silver Supporting Member

Anyone want to chime in on this one? I'm considering Lollar Blackfaces. Anyone want to recommend something else?

Not only does the pickup have to have good quack, but it also has to have a little extra oomph to help drive an AC30 into sonic bliss. Think "Gloria", "An Cat Dubh", "Electric Co." (when he used his Strat for that song, that is), etc.

Thanks,

Jeff

2. cugel

cugel Member

well i love the edge but i personally dont think PUPs are a major part of his sound. i mean red rocks was a 70s strat with presumably stock pickups
    nothing booteek available then. the explorer is most likely stock reissue PAFs. i personally would shy away from mid-high output in favor of low output and crank the ac30
    my 2 cents

3. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

from what I`ve read on the web ,,,,, his sound is strongly influenced by "stuff" between the guitar`s pickups and the amp .Such as a Korg sdd3000 delay which will take the output of a pickup and boost it by large amounts of DB`s and pummel the input of the amp ...He uses the korg in bypass sometimes just to get that boost ...he also uses the out of prod. boss fet booster .
    I have the sdd3000 and it`ll make a giant out of the weakest pickup . I would say just on instinct that a lower output pickup will give you the pick attack clarity that`ll get you all set for the next stage . Without some kind of boost before the amp (preferrably AC30 ,%13?) I don`t think a pickup choice will get you close enough ...Ah he uses the "wrong" end of a delrin pick for really abrasive attacks ..all more important than finding his pickup sound

4. jcshirke

Yeah, I know all that...Thanks. :) I actually just sold my SDD3K. The Psionic Audio Triad replaces the SDD's preamp and gives the exact same sound. I've got my Herdims (not Delrins), too. So, no worries there.

Still, I think a good pickup does matter. It's not *the* key to his tone, but a crappy pickup sure can make things worse. What it boils down to is whether I replace the stock '70s RI pickups or keep them. If I do replace them, I was thinking of going with Lollar Blackfaces. I don't think they are too overwound for classic Strat tones.

5. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

COOL , you`re way ahead of me ! I probably read that stuff from you then !
    Are you using RI pickups from the custom shop or from a MIJ type guitar ?

Lollars are great ..period . I also like the fender CS`69`s for a real nice detail ...weaker output but you could more thann make up with the triad .. guess you gotta buy a few . Can`t go wrong with Lollars . Call Jason .. he might have the spec`s on the 70`s and he could wind according to your ear

6. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

If I remember correctly, I heard once that Edge preferred higher output bridge pickups with lower output mid and neck pickups. Maybe this contributes to his sound - or maybe I heard wrong.

+1 on the Triad - great preamp.

7. bhelvick1

bhelvick1 Silver Supporting Member

Depending on if you want to do this on the cheap or not but, I have nothing but a strat, sparkle drive and a delay set to dotted eighths in getting his tone. I put my pickup selector in the position right before the bridge and it was the closest to that sound with my rig I've found (mesa nomad). I was like.... dang, that's it! I was quite happy with that find without spending lots of money. YMMV. I really like that boost idea for all around play though. I have to look into that....

8. theroan

theroan Member

The two most recommended types of Strat pickups I've heard about Seymour Duncan Antiquity Texas Hots or the Suhr V60's.

9. blood5150

blood5150 Member

He used stock pickups all the way in the early days.... I dont think that upgrading would make that much of a difference...

10. jcshirke

Have you played the stock pickups in the US '70s Strat RIs?

11. blood5150

blood5150 Member

The key word there is reissue... RI's are never the same....

12. ed84246

ed84246 Member

It just occurred do me, and I don't mean to denigrate his playing at all, the guy's a monster player -but does anyone else find it strange that we're referring to a grown man as "The Edge".

13. jcshirke

I'm not sure I agree that RIs are never the same. Sometimes they're better.

But, you really just made my point--a pickup change would be in order if the RI pickups aren't as good as stock '70s pickups.

14. jcshirke

Even his mother calls him The Edge. :)

15. blood5150

blood5150 Member

From now on we refer to him as Dave Evans

16. ed84246

ed84246 Member

Or at least "Mr. Edge"...

17. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

I think (from my own analysis of his tone) that his pickups are low output and bright. Then they are boosted via his FA-1 and SDD3K units to hit the amp. This prevents too much bass saturation from muddying up his delays.
    So I would personally look for a set of original 70's strat pups, or something designed to sound like them.

18. bennettcab

bennettcab Member

I read somewhere (a couple places actually) that Mr. The Edge has a Quarter-Pound Strat pickup in his black pickguard strat. If you listen to a couple live examples of "Where the Streets Have No Name" with the black pickguard and white pickguard strat, I think they sound a little different. But then again I think when he favored the white p/g on Elevation tour when he used a Dynacomp for compression and now favors the black p/g on Vertigo tour, but uses a CS-2 compressor. All else should be the same, and I have owned both the CS-2 and Dynacomp, and they are defiantly different sounding pedals. Thats why I sold my CS-2.

millis