Best Strat pups

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Barrie, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Barrie

Barrie Member

I'm looking for the best sounding strat pups to produce that old school sound, I understand that some of the best are produced by Hamel your opinions appreciated

Barrie

2. DejavuDave

DejavuDave Member

3. onetubetone

onetubetone Member

Is it important to you that they be noiseless? If so, I'd recommend Kinmans... excellent sounding pups and totally silent. They're what I use, actually. If you could care less about a a bit of hum, there are many more possibilities. A great one that I also recommend are Fralins.

4. Barrie

Barrie Member

Not bothered about hum just "TONE" looking for that rich thick plummy sound on the neck pick up and a good sound from the bridge

5. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

While there is no "best" pickup, out of the one's I've tried I like the Van Zandt Vintage+ and the Rolph '64's....but none have sounded as good as the original Fender's in my old '64 Strat. Having said that, I have found that the exact same set of pickups can sound very different in various Strats with the exact same specs. So, I've come to the conclusion that the wood in an individual guitar and the pickups have to compliment each other in just the right way for the magic to happen. So the pickup chase can be frustrating and expensive....just don't expect to find the right one's early on in the chase. Been there, done that ;). I kinda gave up the pickup chase and started running the racks for a Strat that delivered the goods from the get go and I think I'm now as close to the sound of my old '64 as I'm going to get.

6. gulliver

gulliver Member

For a high gain neck pickup, the cobalt that comes with the stock Deluxe Strat is awesome IMHO.

I haven't tried it yet, but I read a volume bleed cap can get it into vintage tones just by turning it down.

7. Tonemeister69

Tonemeister69 Member

I really like the Lindy Fralin Vintage Hot's in one of my strats :)

8. froglord

froglord Member

If you're in the UK check out Bare Knuckle Pickups - stonking quality and superb customer service. You can phone up Tim and tell him exactly what you're after. I'm guessing he'll suggest the Apaches.

www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk

9. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

You're going to get a ton of recommendations. All the pups mentioned are great. If you're looking for the classic, 50's, mid scooped, quack strat tone I personally like the Lollar Tweed and Blondes.
    If you haven't already, go to the www.acmeguitarworks.com website and have a listen. They aren't perfect clips, because each set is not set up to its optimal height, but they'll give you a decent idea.

10. Herf

Herf Member

Mooretone pups are great for getting the vintage tone. There are some audio samples on the web site.

11. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I am of the opinion that if you can get them,the pickup set to buy is WCR's SR set-my mexi-caster 'Annie' has a tone that is right around SRV's #1 and Clapton's 'Blackie'...I can understand how this might sound like hyperbole and spam but Jim Wagner stopped selling these because they were not cost-effective to make...did I say that in a roomful of flourescent lighting they are so shielded that there is no 60 Hz hum and they are single coil pickups-No Bardens,Kinmans,Hamels,Lollars or Fralins for me thank you very much...Out,:cool:
    GFM

12. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Member

Suhr V60LPs will nail it - DeTemples and Lollars are good choices too.

Stay away from noiseless if you want old school strat tone.

13. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

I just sold a nice parts strat w/ DT strat pups in it. Nice match for a maple /ash strat, though the middle and rear pup are a bit more punchy and overwound than standard old strat pups. I previously had Hamels in there, which i found to be too much and too clog up the mids, however, i love the Hamels in my parts tele, which is a heavier body with more highs and lows.
    I've got an old pup sitting around (early 60's, think) that sounds great in r'wood board strats, but the pups in my old alder/maple 56 are tough to beat, especially in the neck position. I tried the early 60's pup in there, and the originals sound better.

The moral of the story is that there is no best pups, but there are some pups that are likely to sound good in certain guitars more than they are in others.

14. Thazy

Thazy Member

Any of the Lollar pu's will be great. My personal favorite is the specials. A little more output than the others but, a big Strat sound in all positions.

15. Texas_Blues

Texas_Blues Member

I have a question on the Lollars when they mean by tweed and blackface ones, do they mean those pick-ups only work well with those amps? I was gonna get some but I thought thats what it meant, so I ended up getting Fralin Blues

16. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Lollar uses the names as a comparison of the amps they would pair best with, definitely not as an absolute. The pickups match the same period as the amp names suggest. The Tweeds are the most mid scooped and 50's sounding because the tweed amps are the most mid emphasized amps in Fender's history. The Blackface have the most mids of the Lollars because, again to match the amp, the blackface amp have the most absent mids in Fender's historical lineup. The pickups from the Blackface period were wound a little hotter, thus more mids, than before and after that period of time. Pickups before the BF period were generally below 6k as they were again after the BF period. The BF pups creeped into the high 6k range and so do the BF Lollars.
    The Tweeds are the lowest outuput at 4.85-5.35k, the Blondes run5.6-6k and the BF max out at 6.4-6.75k. All of these measurements are from neck to bridge.
    Generally, the classic strat "quack" is more noticeable on lower output pickups and if you are looking for good 2 and 4 position tones, you want to stay below 6k. You can still get some quack on higher output, it's just that the more mids there are present, they less quack you will have.

17. PlexiBreath

PlexiBreath Member

I'm another Suhr V60LP fan, have a set in my Relic Strat and a set in my Suhr Strat.

18. VintageToneGuy

VintageToneGuy Member

Highly recommend Fralin Blues Specials and I also highly recommend you talk to George at Acme Guitar Works. Great product and George will talk with you as long as you need to to help you to settle on what pup is right for you.

19. karmadave

karmadave Member

For "old school" I'd recommend Van Zandt True Vintage. If you like a bit more mid-range "bite" than look at the VZ Vintage Pluses.

-KD

20. Bricks

Bricks Member

Preface: my pickup experience is limited.

that said, Bill Lawrence pickups sound like what I've always wanted my guitar to sound like.