1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

best strings around

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Ned, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Ned

Ned Member

what are the best strings that i can buy online or in a store, for a need a new pair of strings soon and from what i can find the Snake Oil Strings are the best but it sounds like quite a wait to receive a pair of them unless i am mistaken. i use light 9's on a gibson LP and all suggestions are welcome :) thanks

2. einstein

einstein Member

nothing comes close. PYRAMID STRINGS NICKEL roundwound, expensive but worth it. the old scalers seemed to really stay in tune and sound great. i still have a lot of sets of gauge 10.

3. jman

jman Member

Do you also notice a difference with the pyramid unwound strings or just the 4,5 and 6th?

4. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I love the snake oils.... been using them for about 9 months now, and will continue to do so. well worth any wait, imo...

5. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I think Gibson Vintage Reissue strings are superb, ESPECIALLY on a LP. Not cheap, but not as expensive as some, and can be ordered almost anywhere. I use them on all my LPs and the like. Very warm, round tone. Second choice, DR Pure Blues. Similar sound, durable, but a little inconsistant from time to time.

6. playon

playon Supporting Member

There are only a few manufacturers of strings... everyone else just has these 2 or 3 factories make strings to their specs and then rebrands them with their own name.

D'Addarios sound great. A few years ago they bought new state-of-the-art string winding equipment and sold their old machines to GHS. (Guess whose strings last longer and sound better?)

7. davidkiddmusic

davidkiddmusic Member

+1 on the Snake Oils. You really gotta check em out.

8. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

I use DR's 9's on my Les Pauls 10's on my strat's, but I've heard nothing but good things about the snake oils.

9. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

After trying about everything out there, I like the Optima Gold's best. Snake Oil's are great too but there's something about the tone of the Optima's that I like on my Strats. The Optima's seem expensive at $19/set but, for me, they last 3 times longer than the average string I've tried....which makes them around $6/set if you factor in the longevity. The Optima's have a real gold coating and they kinda look cool on a guitar with gold hardware.

10. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Snake Oils without a doubt. I used to use the Gibson Vintage Strings too but these smoke em.

11. Ned

Ned Member

how long does it take to order and receive snake oil strings?

12. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I've wondered about that myself. Is the magic in Pyramid, SOS, etc all in the wound strings? Are the plain ones any different than a Fender or GHS, for example?

13. oxtone

oxtone Member

Everly B-52 Rockers - been using for a few years now. Best strings I've used in 35 years of playing guitar. They are made from "Alloy 52", which is 52% Nickel. Bright and tone-full out of the box, and last a long time. I've never broken an Everly string, and I play hard.

Get 'em at: www.stringitup.com

14. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

I've been using the Pyramids (round wounds - not the flat wounds), 12's on my Jazzmaster, 11's on a Supro Dualtone, 10's on my Tele. Fantastic strings. Stay in tune great, durable, a great feel and long life. Can't really address your question regarding the unwound strings, I have been replacing them as complete sets and the strengths I mentioned above seem consistent between the wound and unwound strings. Love 'em and thought that I had finally found keepers and would never change so I invested in a box load of them.
    After reading all of the comments on the Snake Oils, I ordered a couple of sets last week to check them out. I haven't received them yet, but Dean Farley promptly responded to my e-mails and seemed to be a good guy.
    I'll report back after I get them, string em up and play on them for a bit.

15. Jet Rink

Jet Rink Member

I second these recs heartily. Just started playing DRs and am quite impressed. Clean, good feel, long lasting.

I'd add Gibson's Les Paul Sigs - the LP10s.

First thing though - get some heavier strings than 9's!!!

Pyramid flats are exceptional as well.

Jet

16. webb

webb Member

Snake oils are working out great for me. Three months and still going strong.
    Interested if anyone has tried the george l's nickel wound strings, they were my favorite before I tried the snake oils.

17. einstein

einstein Member

i still have around 100 sets of the old scalars gauge 10 sets. It was when dean closed down for awhile so i got 144 sets. They seemed at the time to stretch less, sound zingier, and last longer than the dadarios AT THE TIME. Never tried the snakes, but i couldnt be happier with the pyramids but i use the scalars mostly due to the cost and i have a lot left. I would be up for any trades. They seem to intonate nicely and dean seemed to come through with his overconfident bragging. Everything he told me about the scalers was true. They tuned right up when other strings had to be stretched for 2 days. The scalers i stretched like 3 times while stringing and they stayed up.:JAM
    My buddy who works at a guitar store swears gibson and fender strings are the lowest on the evolution scale and are the absolute worse as they are instrument companies and not string winders. How are snake oils different from scalers and why are snake oils so good?? The pyramids i must admit are perfect just like strings from the old days i am told. Big huge sound, but to expensive, but worth it.

18. Leftee

Leftee Guest

Dean picked up where he left off with the Scalars. I don't know the details of it all, but Dean could answer that. My undersatnding is that he has futher developed the strings. They are amazing strings. LeoMuser@aol.com

19. Scott Cioe

Scott Cioe Member

Gibson's for me as well.

They are a touch more than the Ernie Balls and D'Addario's that I had been using, but they seem to last 3-4 times longer, so they are cheaper in the long run.

Scott

20. dougb415

dougb415 Member

1. Snake Oil Strings. Right now I have a set on my Strat and am going to put a set on my lap slide this weekend.

2. Gibson Vintage Reissue on my LP.

3. Fender 150s on my Tele.

I will be going all Snake Oils soon. Just gotta put in another order to Dean... :dude