Best Sub-$100 Overdrive Pedal?

Wesman61

If Your talking used that opens a lot of possibilities. There are lots of OD's right around the $100.00 mark give or take few bucks. Barber comes to mind.

Trotter

Supporting Member
If Your talking used that opens a lot of possibilities. There are lots of OD's right around the $100.00 mark give or take few bucks. Barber comes to mind.
Lets say new... since this is a gift for someone.

What about the Barber Sliver LTD... ? Anyone had experience with it?

welcometoashley

Supporting Member
Lets say new... since this is a gift for someone.

What about the Barber Sliver LTD... ? Anyone had experience with it?
i've had a barber Silver LTD and really liked it. i've liked just about everything i've bought from Barber. the Silver LTD is discontinued but if you go to barber's website they're selling them for $99.95 direct... at that price it's a steal and to my ears, it sounds better than the boss od-3.

sandman

Well, techically @ 105$ shipped Timmy is OVER hundred but...

I was gonna say OD-3 too, Monkey's OK for a TS, that Barber suggestion is surely to be considered...

orogeny

RAT for distortion
Monkey
OD3
SD1
Used Keeley BD2 CAN be found at $100 from time to time and would be my personal choice
Timmy. . . but you ain't waiting to give this gift, I assume.

Plenty of choices.

I gave a mint/used OD3 as a gift. 57 bucks including shipping. Still on his board. . .

rooster

I think the GGG ITS8 is about the best I've heard for the money. The catch is, it's a kit. However, it's set up to be easily tweaked/modded, and you can get about any flavor of TS808/9 based pedal you want out of it. I sourced the parts myself (mouser, which is about the best prices on quality parts), and they cost about $5 more than buying the kit, so it's definitely worth buying the kit. Switchcraft jacks, true bypass, clipper section switching, and for the extra $8, you get a LF353 (for SD-1 stuff) and an extra TI 4558 (for a different 4558 sound; many like it a lot).

You can't beat the GGG stuff, if you are handy with an iron and meticulous.

rooster.

cber1517

Supporting Member
For $50 new, you can't go wrong with the Bad Monkey. The bass/treble controls are very versatile and it is a quiet pedal. I use it for a clean boost and it works well with other pedals. :dude

iamspartacus

Boss BD2, SD1, or OD3
+
Brian Wampler's Mod Book ($15 with email signup)
+
$6 worth of electronics parts @ RadioShack
=
Boutique tone and feel for <$100

I personally recommend the Brent Mason Mod for the BD2. Sick, sick mod. Much better than the Analogman (that I've played) and the Keeley (according to the guys @ the Tele forum).

thezeng

second the blues pro, responds great to your playing.
am i the only one who doesnt hate the stock sd-1?

Trending Topics