Best sub $400 reverb

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dankayaker, Feb 24, 2006.

1. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

Thinking about adding a reverb unit in front of my amp. I imagine this is not the best way to run verb but it's the way I have to with my main amp.

I'm interested in real experience here, what has really sounded good . . .or is this a fruitless seach ?

thanks

2. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I like my Digiverb-got it for 72$ and change....have been using it for 8 months on the gig without a glitch....

3. paulydangerous

paulydangerous Member

You might want to research the EBS Dynaverb..I had one and thought it was great..They run 185-200 used..

4. gulliver

gulliver Member

Clean? High gain? What are you looking for? Clean, tube reverbs sound the best IMHO. Nothing like a vintage Fender with tube spring verb. If you want to fake it, some digital units aren't bad, usually the plate settings are the best IMO.

For high gain, forget reverb as it gets lost, although a touch of stock spring verb from a good amp can add to the vibe. I have an H&K Replex and use, not the reverb, but the dual delay for a reverb-like distance. Set up right it provides the vintage vibe and distance of reverb without mud or the typical delay bounce. The layers of the dual drive can be set up to overlap so that they keep the original tone clear, and add a reverb like complex but subtle delay after.

Hope that helps.

5. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

For convenience and low bucks, nothing beats the EH Holy Grail. An impressive reverb sound, unfortunately not matched by reliability, too often accompanied by hiss and white noise. Still the pick of the litter for me, short of a tube unit.

Just under the 400 wire, get a Fender RI outboard unit. Not convenient, if stock will benefit from retube (consider this necessary), cap mod (optional). More fragile than any pedal (pedals don't care if you bump into them, usually), but some really heavy sounds here.

6. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Member

I'd check out a Fender spring reverb unit if you are willing to spend that much. I currently use a line 6 verbzilla which is working for me nicely.

7. dankayaker

Thanks everybody . . . . . . I play mostly clean/semi dirty and only use delay for higher gain stuff. my primary concern is that my tone stays pretty much intact as I really love my guitar/amp.

Anyone ever try the Van's stuff . . I think reverbamate ?

8. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

does the verbzilla do a nice heavy surf? Peter Green type verb? thanks!

9. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

Another unit to throw in the mix: Peavey Valverb

Probably one of the best pieces of equipment they've ever made & they sound fantastic. It's a tube spring-reverb/trem unit. I bought one used off of a forum member & use it pretty much all of the time. To me it sounds just as good as the Fender unit & usually can be found for a lot less. It's a rack-mount unit though so that may be a deterrant, but it sounds fantastic.

10. Tripower455

Tripower455 Member

I just went through this, and ended up with the Verbzilla. I don't use much reverb for most of my playing. Just a hint in the backround to add some depth......

It does do a nice surf type sound and echoey 50's rockabilly, plus some other usable stuff. I don't like alot of reverb with crunch, so I don't use it for that. I do think it sounds better than any spring setup inside a combo amp that I've had, but YMMV. If you're really doing a lot of surf/slapback stuff, an outboard tube or spring verb would probably be better for you.....

I'd say to try one out before spending the $$$, since this is a very subjective issue.

11. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

You can get really nice old broadcast spring verbs on ebay in that range.

For a little over, you can get a Demeter Reverb new, so you might find a used one in your range.

12. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

used lexicon lxp-1

13. dankayaker

if I was using an FX loop I'd opt for a nice rack unit, but I don't want my whole signal running through A/D converters.

14. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Dan: I have tried the Vans box. It would have been perfect, except it requires two channels, or both inputs of one channel. Since I always jumper older amps, just didn't work for me. The verb sound is quite good. It was with regret that I bypassed this pedal. If you can live with the setup, it might be the best choice of all for tube verb short of the larger outboard unit. Well worth a tryout.

15. dankayaker

Thanks mad dog . . . .my amp only has one input . . .does that mean it won;t work. . . . I'll go to their site and read up.

16. steelers88

steelers88 Member

Nau Engineering, John built me a stand alone reverb tank for under $400.00
    Hand built, point to point wired, any color/hardware you choose, base on the original Fender unit with a few upgrades,
    Mojo +

You can contact John at 585-594-8129
    Tell him Gary sent you.

17. amper

amper Member

Well, if that's the case, then you are pretty much stuck with analog spring reverbs. Like the Fenders, Peavey Valverb, Demeter Real Reverb, Songworks Lanilei, and any others that I'm not aware of...