"Best" Taylor acoustic...bang-for-buck?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by ungarn, Sep 18, 2006.

1. ungarn

ungarn Member

What is the "best" Taylor acoustic bang-for-the-buck?

Based on the threads I read so far...sounds like the Taylor 314.

I mostly play electric, but want to upgrade my acoustic. It will be used primarily for blues, folk, and rock and played with a pick/plectrum.

Thanks!

-Thad

2. mikeo2

mikeo2 Member

Yeah, your right on the money. A 314 or a 310 would be the best value, depending on which body style suits you best.

3. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

I thought it was the 414 after trying a bunch with my wife, but we tend to like brighter guitars.

4. DualRectifier

DualRectifier Silver Supporting Member

I agree that a 314 is probably the best value, but if you're like me and have to have a gloss finish, it's not gonna get it.

To me, the satin finish just looks cheap, which it shouldn't on a $1,600 guitar. I love my 514CE, and I think it does everything well--fingerpicking and flatpicking blues, rock and folk, up to medium strumming. It is a big jump in price though.

Taylor x14s are also good for guys who play mostly electric--they're not as unwieldy as a steel string dread or jumbo.

If you're a heavy cowboy-chord strummer, go for a dreadnought such as a Martin or Gibson. For everything else, though, the x14 series Taylors can't be beat for the money.

Guitar Center has a special edition Martin that is all solid, with gloss finish and a pickup, for $1,200, if you decide to go the dreadnought route.

5. gretsch63

gretsch63 Member

Did you ever try the new taylor gs series? the gs maple/spruce is a beautiful looking and sounding guitar...and the case is to die for..check it out...gretsch

6. Den

Den Member

If I were in your shoes, I'd definitely take a look at a few of the Martin Aura models as well ... great playability and IMHO, the plugged in tone of these is a step above what I've heard from Taylor factory systems.

7. Comfort Player

Comfort Player Silver Supporting Member

If your already sold on Taylor the 4xx series is the best bang I think. If you experieince a little sticker shock, be sure and look at Larrivee's line of guitars. Best bang period. :BluesBros

8. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

My friend has a 310 and an 810, 310 sounds better hands down. Now i dont like gloss finish so to me a matte finish is more desirable, but cosmetics aside I think the 310 is your best bet or the 510 has rosewood so that would be worth considering.

not to steal the thread but have you tried the epi masterbilt series, all solid wood and under 700 dollars sound great too, lifeson even endorses them (if you are rush fan?)

9. onemind

onemind Member

I'm surprised that used four series Taylors can be had for less than 1000. considering the way that the retail values have jumped.

10. mikeo2

mikeo2 Member

Acutally a 510 is Maghogany. You have to jump up to either a 710 or a 400-series limited edition to find Rosewood. However, I do strongly agree with you that the satin finishes sound better. I wish Taylor would offer a 300 series with a stain top as well.

11. ungarn

ungarn Member

Thanks all!

-Thad

12. captben41

captben41 Member

I have a 514ce with a cedar top if you are interested for sale
    [​IMG]

13. Srvwannab

Srvwannab Silver Supporting Member

I LOVE the limited edition short-scale models. I have a 510 L9 a 510CE L9 with the cutaway and electronics. It is completely counter-intuitive, but they are boomers! Rich bass, clear highs- great playing guitars. I picked up my second one on ebay and see them there from time to time.

14. Antz_Marchin

Antz_Marchin Member

If you are a picker I'd say go with a Taylor x10, and if you want a Martin-esque powerful "cannon" of a guitar (but with Taylor tone and shimmery highs) go for something with Rosewood back/sides.