Best Tech 21 Pedal for Direct & Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ClassicLP, Apr 2, 2015.

1. ClassicLP

ClassicLP Member

Hi Everyone,

Would someone please recommend a Tech 21 pedal for direct in the PA. I would like to run it with my pedal board from where my dirt and modulation would be generated. I typically use a Mesa Boogie on the clean channel for gigs with pedals. The Tech 21 would be used the same way in some practice settings.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  2. lucky111

lucky111 Supporting Member

Blonde. Of all that I've tried (Liverpool, British, Leeds, Blonde) the Blonde is the most versatile. Great for live or recording.

Cheers!
    luk

3. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Supporting Member

It depends on what you're going for. They're all good, but they're all different. I have a Leeds on my board, a Blonde in reserve (as part of the FR5). I'm looking at a Liverpool and an Oxford, mostly for versatility.

I set my Leeds for a Townsend "Can't Explain" studio tone, which is pretty clean, and use Barber pedals to add in OD and Gain.

If you like the Mesa clean, the discontinued Californian might be good for you. I don't know if the US Steel reproduces those Californian tones.

4. Beakertwang

Beakertwang Supporting Member

I love my Blonde. I have a friend with a Liverpool, and a friend with the Joyo AC Tone (Liverpool clone) and they both dig them. Very nice as clean platforms. They take pedals well.

I'd like to try mine with a cab emulator (Carl Martin Rock Bug, or such) and run my Line 6 M9 after the blonde--in the "effects loop" so to speak.

5. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

I have direct experience with the California and the Leeds. I have a Boogie Mark 2B and a HiWatt combo and these things are a great approximation of the real thing. Fun units! The feel of them is especially great considering you aren't moving actual air around.

Note: the California get definitely get into Recto territory if that's your thing...more gain on tap than a real Mark.

6. ClassicLP

ClassicLP Member

Thanks guys! I ordered the blonde.

7. jordane93

jordane93 Member

8. BassJumper

BassJumper Member

9. Psychotronic

Psychotronic Member

Do these take dirt pedals in front of them well? I like my dirt pedals and want to continue to use them, I just want an option to go direct to the PA.

10. rsm

rsm Member

I have a Liverpool for many years; it works fine with my dirt pedals IME

TC Nova Drive, EH BMPwTW, Damage Control Liquid Blues, TCE VPD1, TC Nova System...I even used my Liverpool in the insert loop of my G-System for awhile!

11. Great Shot Pilot

Great Shot Pilot Supporting Member

I can say that the Blonde and Liverpool do wonderfully with dirt, though each one likes different pedals. For instance, the Blonde loves my WFRI Rat, while it is just kind of ok with the Liverpool.

12. ClassicLP

ClassicLP Member

I got the blonde and put a mxr cae line boost after it. The sound is pretty good. Not an amp but decent.

13. playguitar6789

playguitar6789 Supporting Member

If only the sansamp paradriver had amp sim/speaker sim onboard! The character pedals seem cool, but I'd like to use it with bass or acoustic too. And have an XLR out.

14. kstrat62

kstrat62 Member

They do like pedals! I have a Blonde, Liverpool and British and they all get along with pedals, but each one does sound a little different(like the amp it's emulating).

15. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Member

I think a thread for sans amp pedalboard would be beneficial to a lot of people. It would be nice to see how and what people use with them. Whatcha think?

16. sub rosa

sub rosa Member

Good idea!

A "Show your SansAmp Boards" thread.

17. Nota

Nota Member

I wonder how a Blonde would be with a Zendrive? Dumblish?

I have owned the Liverpool at least five separate times. Great pedal. I just am not a Vox guy, and that's what it does well.

18. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Member

19. GaryOz

GaryOz Member

I got a Blonde years ago for direct to PA to teach guitar classes, and quick reference recording, just for convenience. Great results. I have recently been using it after my pedalboard direct to PA for some Duo gigs. Takes drive pedals well. I use it cleanish with pedals for drive, modulation, delay and reverb before it. Sounds great, easy to dial in.
    For my band gigs I use my amps, CAA OD 100 Classic +, or '63 Deluxe, Bogner New Yorker. But for the Duo things I find in the PA is better to balance and the Blonde sounds good.

Gary