Best Tele bridge Pickup for steely but fat warm tone in '69 Thinline

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by echo unit, Jun 23, 2006.

1. echo unit

echo unit Member

I've got the Fender Daphne Blue '69 Thinline just like the one Bill Frisell uses. I have a Callaham vintage Tele Bridge plate assembly instaled too.

I put a Harmonic Design Vintage Plus PU in the neck position, that's what Bill Frisell uses... and the Harmonic Design Super 90 in the bridge position. The Super 90 is extremely thick and warm with lots of rich organic overtones like a P-90 which is great but it doesn't have enough of that real Tele steely tone for me. I love how warm and organic it is but the guitar doesn't sound like a Telecaster anymore. Somewhere between a Tele and a Gibson Les Paul Jr. with the P-90's.

The Vintage Plus neck PU sounds great. Are there any better? I would have a hard time believeing it. This Neck pickup solves all the muddy and un-usable tone problens of the normal chrome Tele neck pickups for sure. Any one else think there is a better Neck Pickup. Love to know.

I would love to hear from people some suggestions for Pickups that would do this guitar justice. i need the bridge PU to be thick still but I need more of that Telecaster steely twang as well.

Thanks for any help suggestions advice or comments.

2. lbw

lbw Member

What you want is a Lindy Fralin Steel Pole 42 Telecaster bridge pickup. It's exactly what you're looking for!

I have a whole set of Lindy Fralin Steel Pole 42 pickups in my Stratocaster and it's P90 meets Stratocaster heaven.

3. echo unit

echo unit Member

Isn't the Steel Pole Fralin like the Harmonic design Super 90?

What I want is that distinct steely Tele tone that can twang but with a fatter thicker tone in the bottom and mid response.

I hear that the broadcaster style pickup is known to provide this kind of tone am I wrong?

Any way, I am still looking for some suggestions and would love to hear what Tele bridge pickups have made people very happy.

4. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

I have searched long and hard for a bridge pup that would do the P-90 thing while still retaining traditional twang and snap. Tried the HD S-90, SK T-90, 1/4lb'r, Pre B-1, etc. While I liked these pickups, they lacked in the T & S area.

I had Don Mare wind me a tele bridge pup to 11.5K. A cross between an old broadcaster and a P-90. Whatever he did, he nailed what I was looking for. The absolute best sounding tele bridge pup I've used for the tones I'm after. I have this in a chambered tele.

The Dimarzio VV Hot T is a darn good pickup for this also. I never thought I'd say that about a Dimarzio tele pup, but it's really good. Nice in a thinline too.

As far as the neck pup, it sounds like you've found what you like. Don't mess with it!

Also, check out David Plummer. I hear he's winding some great tele pups. Have not heard them myself yet, but his buckers are great. I'll try his tele pups soon.

Anyway, I really dig what Don wound for me.

5. echo unit

echo unit Member

Thanks for the recommendation on the Tele bridge pickup!

I was going to ask Scott at Harmonic Design if he would swap my Super 90 for a Vintage Plus bridge pickup. Do you thingk the Vintage Plus Bridge pickup would give me closer to what I want or shoudl i just sallow the money and try the Dimarzio you suggested?

How would I get in touch with Don for a custom wind?

Also, the HD vintage plus neck pickup is the first replacement I have tried and it sounds a lot better thatn the mexican Fender Pikcup that it replaced but I have not had any experience with any others so i have no idea what the possibilities are really. I am curious to know what some of the other really great Tele neck pickups are unles syou think i already have one of the best and then I will leave it at that.

What Tele neck pickup do you think is the best and what do you think of the Harmonic Design Vintage Pus that I have installed?

6. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I just put a Dimarzio VV tele pickup in my G&L Bluesboy,which is chambered without the f hole, and it sounds great.I didn't want to go with the hot version,but they are supposed to sound great also if that's what your going for.

7. JoeYello

JoeYello Member

I just put Fralin Classics in my 90's Thinline Tele and they are outstanding. They transformed an already beautiful guitar into a tone-machine. I can actually use the tone control and get some great sounds out of either pickup.

I also have a 63 NOS Tele with a Rio Grande Muy Grande in the bridge and with a Marshall type amp the tone nails the early Led Zep sound.

8. John Bell

John Bell Supporting Member

The suhr Broadcaster bridge is the best tele pickup I've found.Plenty of meat without losing the snap. Seriously....it really is that good of a pickup.

9. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

My fave...a SD Jerry Donahue. Just a bit warmer than your basic tele bridge, but still plenty of bite, and great balance string to string. AC

10. echo unit

echo unit Member

Well,

Mr. Bonedance thanks for your advice.

I am swaping out the Super 90 Bridge for the Vintage Plus Bridge. (Thank you Scott at HD)

I'll let you guys know how that goes. I have a really good feeling about it as the Vintage Pus Neck Pickup is really doing it for me. Very organic Tele but much better Neck tone, warm and not muddy. Great note definition.

11. fakeox

fakeox Member

I'm just getting a Fralin steel Pole 42 bridge pu installed in my 8 string Villager/Tele Frankenstein.

12. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

You are more than welcome! I'm very glad to hear Scott will do the swap for the V+. I think you'll find it will do what you're after very, very well.

13. johan

johan Member

An old Cunetto era Nocaster bridge pickup at 9-10k. I think Voodoo makes something similar.

14. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I've heard good things about Lollars, Hamels, and Suhr Broadcasters.
    The fave I've heard personally...Fender Texas Special Tele Bridge.
    Sweet!
    S>
    j

15. Unburst

Unburst Member

Very underrated Tele pup, the neck pup is sweet too.

16. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Just slightly edging towards midrange honk in mine, but a great compromise!

17. lbw

lbw Member

I imagine it's similar but likely to sound very, very different. Order one with a -5% underwind for more twang. Otherwise, maybe a Lindy Fralin Blues Special or one of the other overwound Tele pickups.

You either want an underwound P90 style pickup or an overwound Tele style pickup to get the tone you're after.

Give Lindy Fralin a call and they can advice you what's likely to best suit what you're after.

They did me a set of -5% SP42s that sound great.