• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Best Tele Thinline style guitar?

royd

I've been on the darkside for the past 8 or 9 years, playing bass exclusively, but now I'm getting interested in coming back to guitar... and am GASSING for a Tele thinline style guitar. Who's building the best one(s) out there these days? At various price points from low to boutique... Are the Squier Classic Vibe models of this type guitar as good as some of the other models in that line? Are there some boutique builders that really are stellar in this type of guitar? Are there noticeable differences in the different price points of the Fender line? Any thoughts are appreciated.

thanks for your input

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
Budget?

Based on the amount you are looking to spend, there are tons of options.

royd

Budget?

Based on the amount you are looking to spend, there are tons of options.
I don't have a budget yet which is why I asked at various price points... I could decide to stay under $500 or I could decide to go up to $4K or even a little more. I'm not sure yet.

Bonedance

So many options! I agree about K-Line. Great guitars. Also check out Bob Logan, Ron Kirn, Joe Riggio and about 100 others. So many great options to consider. Also, the CV Squiers are very good guitars at an excellent price point.

I put together a chambered (semi hollow, no F hole) 18 years ago from USACG wood. Simply the best feeling, sounding tele (for my ears and taste) style guitar I've had...and I've had a few over the years.

dazco

Had a MIM 72 with WRHB and the squier equiv, a mahogany 69 classic vibe and now a MIM 69. All came with average to crappy pickups, but i replaced them all and the best tele i have owned to date be it thinline OR regular is this MIM 69. No tele i have had has such a big round sound that cleans up unlike any other. One thing i really love is it;s one of the only guitars i've owned of any type that gets me me sounds that i have heard all my life on classic records. Love this tele. It's my fav to date. Weights will no doubt vary but this one is 6.5 Lbs. I would stay away from anything with WRHB's. Fender is now making real authentic cunife ones but they are $400 and pair and i think only one model has them as of now, and thats only in the neck position. (S-H custom or deluxe RI, whatever) Don't know how they sound but all the other non originals i have tried, and that includes a few boutiques and modded fenders all had the same issue with muddy lows that get totally lost in a mix. Brifghten them up and then the plain strings become banjo strings.

Anyways if you want a thinline that sounds like a tele i'd stick with the '69 formula for the traditional bridge and pickups. It's a killer guitar. MIM like mine or the american original. If you go MIM find a ash one. Mahogany just doesn't sound quite right on a fender IMO which is probably why u see so few. The AO i believe only comes in ash.

Timtam

Do you want 69 style Thinline (two SCs) or 70s style (two HBs) ? To my mind the 69 style with pickguard and f-hole following similar lines is one of the coolest guitar designs ever (lots of colour combinations available, with RW or maple boards, and some with HB at the neck). And the 70s version one of the ugliest. YMMV. ;)

John Thigpen

Silver Supporting Member
I bought the Squier Classic Vibe version for $450. It has a four bolt neck and traditional Kluson style tuners vs, the three bolt neck and crappy 70’s style tuners on all the Fender models. I did not like the bridge saddles though and replaced them. They were very hard to adjust the action. Pickups seem fine to me, but I’ve never played the vintage real deals.

mikebat

Do you want 69 style Thinline (two SCs) or 70s style (two HBs) ? To my mind the 69 style with pickguard and f-hole following similar lines is one of the coolest guitar designs ever (lots of colour combinations available, with RW or maple boards, and some with HB at the neck). And the 70s version one of the ugliest. YMMV. ;)
Could not agree more. Matching headstock on this one is a true bonus, elevating a guitar from nice to a special event. 22 frets and a 9.5" radius or flatter and you have stolen my heart.

Daytona57

I went into the music store and tried, the Vintage Modified Squier 72 Thinline, MIM Thinline, US Thinline.

The neck on the VM was the best for me, so it came home. The natural ash body is quite light and the pickups are good enough to keep, clean or with higher gain. My bandmates, call it the Hellcaster.

20190302_143643.jpg

Edit: update content.

Last edited:

royd

'69 style although I could be convinced to have an HB in the neck... So the G&L Bluesboy has caught my eye as a possibility. My preference is for a three saddle bridge and SC's. Not sure how much of a preference I have for woods (the high end Fenders with a koa top are gorgeous).

I don't have issues swapping parts so I may just begin with a CV and swap what needs to be swapped. Of course, that can run up the price pretty quickly without adding much if any resale value to the guitar... Swap the pups = $175+, add better saddles = $35+, a heavier and more stable bridge plate - $70+, tuners = $50+. Adds up

cosmicevan

I'm in a similar boat as OP...

I'm a bass player primary, but also play a little guitar. I currently have a Gibson Classic 60 that I love, but it's so damn heavy. Been wanting a Thinline for a while. Would ideally like to keep it under 1k...was thinking about looking used to get most bang for my buck.

TeleDawg

Silver Supporting Member
Check everyone out, then go to find the Whitfill "Slimline". A total killer of an aged/relic'd semi-hollow ash body dual humbucker players dream machine. 'Nuf said.

royd

I'm in a similar boat as OP...

I'm a bass player primary, but also play a little guitar. I currently have a Gibson Classic 60 that I love, but it's so damn heavy. Been wanting a Thinline for a while. Would ideally like to keep it under 1k...was thinking about looking used to get most bang for my buck.
I ended up purchasing a Logan chambered tele with Fralin p92’s. So far I like it a lot but had forgotten how different an electric guitar is than a bass or acoustic guitar.

I’m living with the guitar a few weeks before I out up a NGD post.

Trending Topics